Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
:mjlol: Trying too hard breh
:dwillhuh:

Harry Kane and the death of a shot monster | StatsBomb
“Harry Kane is Broken” fever is sweeping the soccer Twitter world. And that was before Harry Kane actually limped off the pitch against Southampton on Wednesday with an apparent hamstring injury. Nearly a year ago, Ted Knutson first mentioned on the StatsBomb podcast that Kane might be Fernando Torres-ing. I was resistant. I thought some time off this summer, time he did not have in 2018, would finally give him some rest and let his ankles heal, helping him to regain the proprioception that allowed him to Moneyball his way to becoming a shot monster despite his relatively limited athleticism.

That’s certainly not happened. He’s declined markedly in terms of shot generation and has not made up for it by improving elsewhere. However, Kane has managed to maintain his elite finishing ability. Over his career, he has outperformed his non-penalty expected goals by around 20%. When he kicks the ball, he still hits it hard and to the right places.

The problem is that he does not shoot anymore. When Nabil Bentaleb and Ryan Mason were Spurs’ midfield in 2014–15, Harry Kane took 4 shots per match. At his best, in 2017–18 (before the ankle injury that truly derailed his career), he took nearly 6 shots per 90 minutes. Now, Harry Kane attempts under three shots per 90, and his xG per shot has decreased. His non-penalty xG per 90 is a paltry 0.3. Relatedly, in 2017–18 Tottenham had 1.8 xG per match but have dipped to 1.3 xG per match, even as Son Heung-Min remains excellent. It’s bad, folks.

The world class strikers take over three shots per 90 minutes. It’s why I never considered Lacazette on that level because even at his best in Lyon, he was a sub three shots player. Kane was elite before but he has declined a lot, and it’s probably due to his ankle injury.

Kunty McPhuck

Scust Szn has Returned
Daps
Reppin
Books and Pencils
I...don't....give....no......fukks how many trophies Liverpool win no matter how dominant they are.

You can never EVER EVER EVER EVER convince me that Jordan Henderson is an elite player.

Nope, got me fukked up.
He's Draymond Green with a Scottish accent

I'm more pissed he won England player of the year over Ster7ing. You know he sent Gomez to sabotage the award away from him. :scust:

Kunty McPhuck

Scust Szn has Returned
Daps
Reppin
Books and Pencils

The world class strikers take over three shots per 90 minutes. It’s why I never considered Lacazette on that level because even at his best in Lyon, he was a sub three shots player. Kane was elite before but he has declined a lot, and it’s probably due to his ankle injury.

It's obvious he is no longer the player he was a few years back. I had noticed he has been playing more as a poacher than what he was doing previously, didn't know he was taking less shots.

BlackBall

Superstar
Daps

Statsbomb :russ: stupid nerd shyt. He’d walk in as a starter in any squad. His passing game is incredible as well.

noondawg

Pro
Daps
Statsbomb :russ: stupid nerd shyt. He’d walk in as a starter in any squad. His passing game is incredible as well.

They mustn’t be watching how spurs play, don’t know who would average 3 shots a game in this boring non creative team :scust:

The way spurs were playing up until beginning of last season was a huge reason why he got so many chances.