Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

KnowledgeDropper

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Manhattan
Nice game. Back and forth, VAR controversy, tension, some nice chicks on both teams (Brazil GK is thick). This and the Norway/Aussie game were entertaining. I like this tournament so far

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
At this point, I would say that I understand some of the rules of football less than I did when I first really started watching the game closely.

IMO, maybe a better option than VAR is just to put more officials on the field, or at least maybe an extra official on each touchline? I think VAR has value, but not in the way that it's being used here.

The other thing that might be done is clarification or revision of some of the offside rules (like someone who doesn't play the ball, but who draws defensive attention because of their position being functionally offside for one) and of some other rules like maybe allowing the keeper to come off their line during the penalty-taker's run-up when trying to stop a penalty.

I'd rather just have the blown call to be fair...:manny:

A blown call is human...but at least its to be expected at some point...I'd be down for limiting the times that VAR can be used. Give the option to the managers and give them 1 per match...

Daps
I'd rather just have the blown call to be fair...:manny:

A blown call is human...but at least its to be expected at some point...I'd be down for limiting the times that VAR can be used. Give the option to the managers and give them 1 per match...

I was going to suggest giving managers two challenges a half and being done with it, NFL-style, but I thought that it would immediately get hated on. I am fine with one per match, too. Limiting VAR this way is perfect to me.

FakeNews

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Watching this Canada Cuba game is embarrassing to CONCACAF

Hell missing that penalty kick further proves it’s an embarrassment.

Theres been some good gold cup tournaments, but this year its just unwatchable to me

Nice game. Back and forth, VAR controversy, tension, some nice chicks on both teams (Brazil GK is thick). This and the Norway/Aussie game were entertaining. I like this tournament so far

Been a pretty good tournament. Watched it more than the Copa America this past weekend. Hopefully the game continues to grow on the ladies side

Hoodoo Child

The Urban Legend
Daps
Reppin
The Crossroads
@Hoodoo Child I didn't know our city had a soccer club that Tim Howard help create. I didn't even know he stayed in Memphis.:ohhh:

This is news to me as well, I thought Tim was still living in LA. :whoo: All I can say is, it's about damn time we got a expansion team :ehh:

Thanks for the tag,mane. :salute:

beejus

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Red, White, & Stonewashed Blue since '94
This is news to me as well, I thought Tim was still living in LA. :whoo: All I can say is, it's about damn time we got a expansion team :ehh:

Thanks for the tag,mane. :salute:

What do you mean by expansion team? I mean they are a new team, but it’s the USL where all you really need to do is apply and have your finances right and you’ll get a team. Why there are 36 teams in the league.

Regardless it’s good to see Memphis get a team and it appears to have a good following.

Hoodoo Child

The Urban Legend
Daps
Reppin
The Crossroads
What do you mean by expansion team? I mean they are a new team, but it’s the USL where all you really need to do is apply and have your finances right and you’ll get a team. Why there are 36 teams in the league.

Regardless it’s good to see Memphis get a team and it appears to have a good following.
Because, technically it is an expansion team by definition. "A new team added to an established professional sport league." - Dictionary.com