Norrin Radd

To me, my board!
Daps
Reppin
Zenn-La
‘X-Men: First Class’ Director Matthew Vaughn On Why He’d Rather Work With DC Over Marvel

Kick-Ass and X-Men: First Class director Matthew Vaughn confirms talks with DC Films — but says his first post-Kingsman: The Golden Circle movie might move away from superheroes.

"I do love the world of DC, and I've been talking to them at the moment about a few things," Vaughn shared in a new interview with the IGN UK Podcast.

Vaughn explained there would be less pressure stepping into the DC Comics world, because the franchise is currently lagging behind genre leader Marvel Studios.

"It's more fun getting involved with franchises when they're on the down, because then it's easier to make a good film," Vaughn said. "So if I got involved with a few of the superhero films out there that have been disappointing, it's going to be... if I do OK, it'll probably be better."

The English director — once tapped to helm 2006's X-Men: The Last Stand before abandoning the X-Men threequel — eventually boarded the franchise with 2011's First Class, a quasi-reboot that focused on younger iterations of Patrick Stewart's Charles Xavier and Ian McKellen's Magneto.

The prequel came after The Last Stand and 2009's X-Men Origins: Wolverine were mauled by critics.

"So when I did X-Men there was, you know, a pretty low bar — X-Men 3, no offence, was not a fantastic piece of work," Vaughn said. "It's much more fun saving and reinventing something — I'd be more intimidated trying to do a new Guardians [of the Galaxy], for example."

"If I was going to do Batman, there's no point doing the Dark Knight, because it's been done to perfection — if I was doing Batman, I'd go 'Christ, let's bring out the Adam West version,'" Vaughn added. "I'm not interested in copying somebody else's take on the genre."

But, Vaughn says, his next project could put a pin in capes and costumes.

"I've got to figure out what I'm doing next and I feel like flexing a muscle which I haven't used before," Vaughn said, "And I've filmed quite a few superhero movies."

Vaughn, who has plans for a Kingsman 3, previously opened up about his "chats" with Warner Bros.about Superman (Henry Cavill), whose Man of Steel is the lowest-earning movie thus far out of the DCEU. The character was effectively retooled during the events of Justice League.

Dillah810

Flat Girther
Daps
Reppin
Flint, Michigan
tumblr_o74l4fo0Cw1qg8i80o1_540.jpg
tumblr_n0l6twewxm1toat5eo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_n0l6twewxm1toat5eo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_n0l6twewxm1toat5eo3_1280.jpg

Brandeezy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
East ATL
Wouldn't there be more pressure turning around a failing franchise than working on a lucrative one? :dwillhuh:

It's like when a sports team hires a new coach. The owner isn't going to tell him "You guys can do mediocre/bad for a couple seasons because we're not good right now". The owner is gonna want the coach to turn around the organization as quick as possible

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
Wouldn't there be more pressure turning around a failing franchise than working on a lucrative one? :dwillhuh:

It's like when a sports team hires a new coach. The owner isn't going to tell him "You guys can do mediocre/bad for a couple seasons because we're not good right now". The owner is gonna want the coach to turn around the organization as quick as possible
The pride you have in yourself and your winning attitude is blinding you to what he's saying. lol

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO
LMAO!!!! Man if someone did the Adam West version of Batman on the big screen....

I mean literally THIS

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I literally wouldnt be able to work for 2 days.... Cuz I would shyt my pants laughing at the comedy from certain cats anger in here. Like I'd just get me a bag of popcorn or a pizza and just be reading post all day.:mjlol:

Martha

KOOL-AID

I Pitty Da Fool
Supporter
Daps
Man at this point get yo behind the scenes shyt good first and a mapped out plan before worrying bout the films dat shyt is easy I cld make a better dceu than what we have.

Brandeezy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
East ATL
Man at this point get yo behind the scenes shyt good first and a mapped out plan before worrying bout the films dat shyt is easy I cld make a better dceu than what we have.

Mapped out plans don't matter when the scripts and directing aren't up to par. Just triple check the scripts and make sure the directors aren't inputing crazy shyt like Snyder.

(ALi)

Daps
Reppin
NULL
1. Snyder is still directing.
2. Superman already died = no stakes AT ALL moving forward
3. Justice League forms so they can fight some weird demon villain no one has ever heard of?

- 30% on RT confirmed.
- 500 mil total gross confirmed.
- Franchise ruined.
- Rebooted in 5-7 years.

It's all right there in my crystal ball.
:ohhh:

Norrin Radd

To me, my board!
Daps
Reppin
Zenn-La
DC Cancels Deadshot and Lobo Movies?
The future of the DC movie universe is starting to take shape, slowly but surely. Part of the process of shaping that future is killing off some of the many, many projects that were in various stages of development behind-the-scenes at Warner Bros., as the studio looks to restructure things with the DCEU moving forward, following the disappointment of Justice League. As such, the Deadshot solo movie and the Lobo movie have both reportedly been canceled.

First up, the Deadshot movie is said to no longer have Will Smith attached, with his next DC movie expected to be Suicide Squad 2, which is rumored to be shooting later this year. We first reported on the possibility of a Deadshot spin-off movie in December 2016, shortly after the news of Gotham City Sirensentering development was revealed. Now, thanks to a report from Discussing Film, it sounds like that is no longer a possibility and the project has been scrapped altogether. Here's what they had to say about it.

"Exclusive: Will Smith is not attached to star in a Deadshot solo film with his next appearance as Deadshot most likely to be in Suicide Squad 2 which is said to film next year."

There's no word on exactly how far along the Deadshot movie was, but it likely was just an idea that was being kicked around that never truly entered the development stage. As for Lobo? That was actually being scripted by Wonder Woman writer Jason Fuchs at one point. So Warner Bros. was taking the idea somewhat seriously. However, according to The Splash Report writer Mario F. Robles, Lobo has also been canceled.

"It joins #Lobo now, on the 'Island Of DC Films That Were Kinda Sorta Maybe Happening But Now Aren't."

Indeed, Warner Bros. was very bullish, if directionless, about the future of their DC movies on screen. Aside from Lobo and Deadshot, other movies at various stages of development include Nightwing, Batgirl, Gotham City Sirens, a Joker and Harley Quinn spin-off, an R-rated Joker origin movie outside of the DCEU continuity and a Deathstroke movie, just to name a few. Some of these movies, like Nightwing and Batgirl, still seem as though they have a decent shot at happening, but the studio did seem to be somewhat aimlessly developing DC projects. Quite the opposite of Marvel's meticulous way of planning.