Essential The Official Comic Book Discussion Thread [Support @Neuromancer’s book!]

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
How is Coates's run on Black Panther and Captain America?

I dropped both awhile ago cause he be going too slow.

BP still doing nothing but getting chastised while the women save the day.

His run is ending in a couple issues (would've ended already if not for the pandemic delays).

Rumor is that his Cap run is ending as well. Both BP and Cap are apparently going to get restarts that are back to their adventuring/conventional ways. With BP the rumor is it will be more "Bond meets BP" akin to the movie. We'll see.

parallax

Superstar
Daps
The quoted parted will always be an interesting dilemma about character evolution vs forever keeping a character in their "prime".

The 90s was probably when Peter Parker formally stopped (slow) aging, when they bytched out on him being a father.

Or even a few years back when they did the DC "reboot" but were limited with Batman, b/c having dikk, Jason, Tim, and Damian present locks Bruce Wayne into a certain canonical age. Don't want to make him any older/convoluted but can't make him younger w/o jeopardizing the Robins lol

Tho at this point, with characters being much more profitable outside of comics, and the comics themselves being more a farming ground to pluck stories from to use in outside media (that have much more leeway for radical shyt to happen), i guess it's less of a dilemma and more of a it is what it is thing.

the thing is that there is often a way around or out of it. franklin richards has had future counterparts as well as been aged up. the same goes for valeria. and while i really fukking despise it, they did the same to chris and jon kent. the problem comes to me anyway is that once they introduce kids as children/sidekicks to certain heroes, they no longer seem to know what to do with said characters after certain character arcs, but a bigger issue seems to arise when the younger character seems to gain a bit of popularity of their own outside of the influence of the titular hero. which is why characters like wally, dikk, and kyle are hated by older comic book fans

M4D4aKL.jpg

Q5LtsFH.jpg

eddie is one of those characters thats perfect for that redeemed villains thread. only every time they try to redeem him. they roll him back and somehow make him worse. the anti venom shyt still pisses me off.

His run is ending in a couple issues (would've ended already if not for the pandemic delays).

Rumor is that his Cap run is ending as well. Both BP and Cap are apparently going to get restarts that are back to their adventuring/conventional ways. With BP the rumor is it will be more "Bond meets BP" akin to the movie. We'll see.

im so glad i dropped that shyt when i did. i was hoping they would make tchalla respectable over time, but apparently that hasnt happened

Last edited:

WakandanPride

Realest Negus Alive
Daps
Reppin
ATL

That's good. He's a gifted prose writer, but comics ain't his forté at all.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
the thing is that there is often a way around or out of it. franklin richards has had future counterparts as well as been aged up. the same goes for valeria. and while i really fukking despise it, they did the same to chris and jon kent. the problem comes to me anyway is that once they introduce kids as children/sidekicks to certain heroes, they no longer seem to know what to do with said characters after certain character arcs, but a bigger issue seems to arise when the younger character seems to gain a bit of popularity of their own outside of the influence of the titular hero. which is why characters like wally, dikk, and kyle are hated by older comic book fans
Franklin is a great example for multiple reasons. Firstly, it felt like that muthafukka been the same age for like 20+ (30+?) years... until a couple years ago when they finally decided to age him up to a teen via that post-SW hiatus plot device. But his issue of course is that they made him too powerful that they either gotta ignore him, fukk with his powers, or give some silly explanation why he didn't just solve any and all problems with an eyebrow raise. He don't got shyt to do.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town

I'd love for T'Challa to have his own lil Gon or Gohan unbeknownst to the readers for decades, that's magically aged up and ripe for tear-jerking moments... ala this kid, and Damian.

Just need Princess Zanda to show up on a maury show like "gotcha bytch! you de fada!"

Or.. Monica Lynn, for a more civilized reveal.

parallax

Superstar
Daps
I'd love for T'Challa to have his own lil Gon or Gohan unbeknownst to the readers for decades, that's magically aged up and ripe for tear-jerking moments... ala this kid, and Damian.

Just need Princess Zanda to show up on a maury show like "gotcha bytch! you de fada!"

Or.. Monica Lynn, for a more civilized reveal.

just bring him into the fold

7FXh2DK.jpg

most people dont know he exists anyway, and he can never go home sans some time fukkery

Mr. Negative

Conspiracy Weirdo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Mississippi Cotton Field

you just made me realize how hard it's gotta be for fans of a character to actually write/plot a character they don't like.

Props for that, cause I never thought about it that way.

eddie is one of those characters thats perfect for that redeemed villains thread. only every time they try to redeem him. they roll him back and somehow make him worse. the anti venom shyt still pisses me off.

he's the closest a comic book character has come to a TRUE new arch nemisis in the public eye. Especially in modern times.

we really don't have any Jokers, Magnetos, Luthors or Dr. Dooms.

Maybe Thanos, but that's cause of the movie push.

Closest other character we got is prolly Professor Zoom? I don't even know if he's "Professor" zoom anymore. The "Anti-Flash"? I def know it's not
Hunter Zolomon.

it's gotta be confusing for execs.

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I know this is a book thread. But I recommend Pennyworth on Epix. I've enjoyed what I've seen so far.