Essential The Official Coli Horror Film Thread: Discussion, Recommendations And Murder.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Horror thread's 31 days of Halloween List - Day 9 - The Masque of the Red Death
A European prince terrorizes the local peasantry while using his castle as a refuge against the "Red Death" plague that stalks the land.
1. Triangle (Prime)
2. The Loved Ones (Paramount+)
3. Salem's Lot 2024 (Max)
4. Be My Cat: A Film for Anne (Tubi)
5. VHS Beyond (Shudder)
6. *Choose your own* - Haunt (2019)
7. Don't Go in the House (Tubi, Youtube)
8. Cure (Internet Archive)
9. Masque of the Red Death(Pluto/Apple TV+)

10. The Eyes of My Mother (Max)
11. Henry Portait of a Serial Killer (Peacock)
12. Curse of Chucky (Netflix)
13. *Choose your own*
14. Junk (2000) (Youtube)
15. Detention (2011) (Tubi)
16. Sleepaway Camp (Peacock)
17. The Skeleton Key(Peacock/Apple TV+)
18. The Witch (Max)
19. Brain Damage 1988 (Tubi)
20. *Choose your own*
21. Audition (Tubi)
22. J. D.'s Revenge(Tubi/Brown Sugar/Prime)
23. Dead Silence (Tubi)
24. Sinister (Max)
25. World War Z (Paramount Plus)
26. The Burbs (Youtube)
27. *Choose your own*
28. 28 Days Later
29. Black Christmas (Tubi)
30. The Shining(MAX/Apple TV+)
31. John Carpenter's Halloween

Masque of the Red Death was my first Vincent Price movie a long time ago. So, it was cool to revisit this classic. I'm struck by how ambitious the film is, because of just how much work went to expanding and fleshing out Poe's classic short story. They do a really good job of making Price detestable and showing how out of touch the wealthy noble folks are.

The use of colors and costumes gives it a cool theater vibe, and makes for a lot of striking scenes. But the real value of the flick is in watching the philosophical conversations between a man who sold his soul for worldly pleasures with a common woman who grew up in a dystopia without those pleasures Price's character is obsessed with.

I also really like when Price claims that he's protected and the Red Death tells him there are more powers that he has to answer to. It's a thoughtful film in that way.

I'll also shout it out for being a nice palate cleanser. We've had some pretty dark and brutal movies on the list so far and the most deranged joint of the bunch (also one of my favorite on the list) is up next.

daemonova

hit it, & I didn't go Erykah Badu crazy, #yallmad
Daps
GZcT7k9XwAAy8cw

Duke Dixon

Superstar
Daps
I watched Cure last night.

I definitely need to watch this again when I'm more wide awake.
At first I thought the wife had the same powers as Mamiya. At the beginning I thought she moved the table with her mind after reading Bluebeard. My whole thinking was that they were psychics that escaped from some facility:dead:

In my mind I had it set that they were like the old kids in Akira
espers.jpeg

Everything else was good. I didn't catch that the waitress grabbed the knife at the end and I was like that's a weird place to end the movie so I rewinded it and saw she had the knife in her hand.

I didn't catch Takabe having influence on the waitress so it must have been quick. I knew Mamiya did something to him before he died but wasn't sure what it was. I did notice he finished his food this time at the diner.

Monday night I watched The Changeling after Don't Go in The House.
Changeling_ver1.jpg

What a way to start a movie:skip:

It's hard to grade older movies because movies after take so much from them. I got a feeling that The Ring was one of the movies that borrowed from it. I'm not sure about Poltergeist/Insidious but I they might have. Either way the mystery was top notch. Some of the effects in the scares are dated but the most simple one is the best in the movie, and it probably cost them $5.

George C. Scott was good like in everything else I've seen him in. I thought he had good chemistry with the lady that sold him the house. I was hoping they'd get together. It wasn't much of a surprise to see that they've been married for some time before they made the movie.

Last Night I also watched Innocent Blood
Innocent_blood_ver1.jpg

It was good for a few laughs. It was like watching a horror episode of The Sopranos. Lots of good cameos. One scene was a batshyt crazy version of a vampire dieing from the sun. Lots of gore and boobs like those 80 movies:pachaha:

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
Coli Horror 31 Days of Halloween List

1. Triangle (Prime)
2. The Loved Ones (Paramount+)
3. Salem's Lot 2024 (Max)
4. Be My Cat: A Film for Anne (Tubi)
5. VHS Beyond (Shudder)
6. *Choose your own* - Red Rooms
7. Don't Go in the House (Tubi, Youtube)
8. Cure (Internet Archive)

9. Masque of the Red Death(Pluto/Apple TV+)
10. The Eyes of My Mother (Max)
11. Henry Portait of a Serial Killer (Peacock)
12. Curse of Chucky (Netflix)
13. *Choose your own*
14. Junk (2000) (Youtube)
15. Detention (2011) (Tubi)
16. Sleepaway Camp (Peacock)
17. The Skeleton Key(Peacock/Apple TV+)
18. The Witch (Max)
19. Brain Damage 1988 (Tubi)
20. *Choose your own*
21. Audition (Tubi)
22. J. D.'s Revenge(Tubi/Brown Sugar/Prime)
23. Dead Silence (Tubi)
24. Sinister (Max)
25. World War Z (Paramount Plus)
26. The Burbs (Youtube)
27. *Choose your own*
28. 28 Days Later
29. Black Christmas (Tubi)
30. The Shining(MAX/Apple TV+)
31. John Carpenter's Halloween

Playing catch-up.

V/H/S Beyond:

Not my least favorite as I think Viral easily takes that cake, but this will be ranked towards the bottom. I don’t hate where this franchise is now. These flicks are still an avenue for ambitious storytelling, but I do miss the spookiness of the early run. The first two V/H/S entries made me feel on edge from the wraparounds alone. We had somebody watching these horrific tapes in a dark, creepy ass house, with nothing but the TV illuminating the room, and it made the transitions from one segment to the next unsettling as the film progressed.

‘Stork’ was like a shot of adrenaline and a wild, yet fitting way to kick this off. It’s the new Call of Duty Zombies DLC, but also Resident Evil, and also we got zombies with fukkin’ chainsaws now.

Loved how frantic the pace was in ‘Live and Let Dive’ and the fact that it all took place during the day. The quality, visually, takes a dip mid-way, but that sky collision is a V/H/S all-timer for me.

‘Dream Girl’ was okay, I feel like I’ve seen this story before though. The overall gore effects and chaos in the back-half do a solid job of making it up to me.

Bollywood Terminator is nasty work. :mjlol:

Not a shocker to see Justin Long working on something like this, but I feel like anybody hating on ‘Tusk’ will have a newfound appreciation for it after watching the ‘Fur Babies’ segment.

I see a lot of glowing praise for ‘Stowaway’. I feel like Charlie on the outside of the candy store looking in and seeing everybody else munching on Wonka bars. I really wanted to like this one more because you can see how much effort is put into it. It’s clearly supposed to be the segment of Beyond. The overall concept is unique and terrifying once you realize what is happening, but it was hard for me to see anything due to how dark it’s shot. Definitely will pay another watch down the line.

I’ll say this though: Mike Flanagan and Kate Siegel are who Rob and Sheri Moon Zombie think they are, with the latter couple needing to be barred away from producing anything else in Hollywood.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
3eYxybu.jpg

Finally caught ‘Red Rooms’ (‘Les Chambres Rouges’) which was a very slow burn, but well worth it. Fantastic sound design. Shot in a similar cold manner to TÁR. Good looks with this one, @FlyRy

No on-screen violence and still left me shook to the core quite a bit. Struck me as a psychological thriller, but I guess you could say a lot of the horror here is in what you don’t see and left to your imagination. It’s like that one scene in ‘True Detective’ where Woody Harrelson is watching that filthy tape. Really don’t want to say too much about this, I think it deserves a blind watch. A lot of the fun in its journey is you as the viewer figuring out where the main lead’s intentions truly reside.