Essential The Official Coli Horror Film Thread: Discussion, Recommendations And Murder.

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Progress Report:
1. Trick r' Treat (Prime/Apple TV)
2. 30 Days of Night (Prime/Apple TV)
3. Let's Scare Jessica to Death (Paramount+/Prime/AppleTV)
4. Possessor (Hulu)
5. High Tension (Tubi/Prime)
6. Deep Red (Shudder/Vudu/Pluto/Plex)

7. Choose Your Own *I picked Incantation (Netflix)*
8. Cannibal Holocaust (Shudder/Screambox on Prime)
9. Drag Me to Hell (Prime)
10. Stagefright 1987 (Prime, Tubi, Pluto TV)
11. Dog Soldiers (Hulu)
12. The Funhouse (Peacock)
13. Friday the 13th 6: Jason Lives
14. Choice (My pick was Talk to Me)
15. New Religion (ScreamBox/Prime)
16. The Faculty (Pluto TV)

17. Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2003 remake
18. Alien 1979 (Hulu)

19. Hellmaster (Tubi)
20. Victor Frankenstein (Prime)
21. *Choose your own*
22. Vicious Fun (Shudder)
23. The Mill (Hulu)
24. The Poughkeepsie Tapes (Tubi)
25. Witch in the Window (Shudder, AMC+)
26. 1408 (Pluto)
27. Ava's Possessions (Prime)
28. *Choose your own*
29. Howling Village (Prime)
30. The Thing (Peacock)
31. John Carpenter’s Halloween (Shudder)

Texas Chainsaw Massacre Remake:
I think this is the shining example of a great horror remake. It takes the original premise and setup but changes many ingredients to make a fresh experience. The creators still captured the energy of the original but placed it in a more modern setting and tone. This TCM also has two of my favorite moments in the whole series of movies (the BF's face revealed as a Leatherface Mask and the final girl running over the patriarch of the family). But it's sorely missing a dinner table scene, and I think the kill scenes are underwhelming compared to the more visceral movies.

It still holds up. I've got it firmly in the top-three out of all the TCM movies.

Alien:
Alien is an inarguable classic. The only debate is whether Alien or Aliens take the crown for the series. I've generally leaned on Alien as my favorite, but this rewatch made me realize how many of the iconic moments from this series come out of Aliens and Alien 3. The OG movie is just way different from everything after it because no one knows about the Aliens. It's a slow-burn mystery for 50 minutes, and the chest burst only happens 57 minutes into the movie. Then, we don't get a clear look at the Alien until the late game.

The funny thing is that you can tell how limiting the Alien costume was compared to future iterations. There are some awkward shots of the Alien, mainly when it's hiding on the escape pod.

All that said, the movie holds up as a classic. The slow build-up works even when we know what's coming. The action is great, Ripley is a GOAT-tier Final Girl, and I wish someone would take a stab at capturing THIS Alien vibe rather than the more action-oriented follow-ups. Give me a slasher not space cowboys/marines vs monsters!

The Mill:
I was really excited to give this a look, so I skipped ahead on the list. Unfortunately, I wasn't feeling the movie itself. It feels like a blatant ripoff of better "eff the system" horror-centric films (ie: The Platform). There's an obvious allegory for the working class rat race, but nothing creative or unique to say about it. Instead, we have 90% of the movie focused on just Lil Rel in a small room next to that wheel. Rel's cool, but he can't carry the emotional weight of this movie and there's not enough humor for his charisma to make up for poor dialogue.

Plus, these flicks usually end on an empowering note...but I didn't get that vibe from this at all. Matter of fact, skip this and watch the episode of Black Mirror with Daniel Kaluuya on the treadmill. It's a better take on similar themes right down to running in place/doing circles and getting nowhere.

Bonus Watches:
Winnie The Pooh - Blood and Honey:

I've been putting this movie off due to low expectations. It didn't disappoint, but it wasn't better than I expected either. There's a paper-thin plot, and the characters are flat-out dumb. They don't have survival instincts; they seem like they're TRYING to get bodied. But the kill effects and designs are pretty impressive, and it's kinda funny as a gimmick.

Duke Dixon

Superstar
Daps

It's_Nade

All Star
Daps
Progress Report:
1. Trick r' Treat (Prime/Apple TV)
2. 30 Days of Night (Prime/Apple TV)
3. Let's Scare Jessica to Death (Paramount+/Prime/AppleTV)
4. Possessor (Hulu)
5. High Tension (Tubi/Prime)
6. Deep Red (Shudder/Vudu/Pluto/Plex)
7. Choose Your Own *I picked Incantation (Netflix)*
8. Cannibal Holocaust (Shudder/Screambox on Prime)
9. Drag Me to Hell (Prime)
10. Stagefright 1987 (Prime, Tubi, Pluto TV)
11. Dog Soldiers (Hulu)
12. The Funhouse (Peacock)
13. Friday the 13th 6: Jason Lives
14. Choice (My pick was Talk to Me)
15. New Religion (ScreamBox/Prime)
16. The Faculty (Pluto TV)

17. Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2003 remake
18. Alien 1979 (Hulu)

19. Hellmaster (Tubi)
20. Victor Frankenstein (Prime)
21. *Choose your own*
22. Vicious Fun (Shudder)
23. The Mill (Hulu)
24. The Poughkeepsie Tapes (Tubi)
25. Witch in the Window (Shudder, AMC+)
26. 1408 (Pluto)
27. Ava's Possessions (Prime)
28. *Choose your own*
29. Howling Village (Prime)
30. The Thing (Peacock)
31. John Carpenter’s Halloween (Shudder)

Texas Chainsaw Massacre Remake:
I think this is the shining example of a great horror remake. It takes the original premise and setup but changes many ingredients to make a fresh experience. The creators still captured the energy of the original but placed it in a more modern setting and tone. This TCM also has two of my favorite moments in the whole series of movies (the BF's face revealed as a Leatherface Mask and the final girl running over the patriarch of the family). But it's sorely missing a dinner table scene, and I think the kill scenes are underwhelming compared to the more visceral movies.

It still holds up. I've got it firmly in the top-three out of all the TCM movies.

Alien:
Alien is an inarguable classic. The only debate is whether Alien or Aliens take the crown for the series. I've generally leaned on Alien as my favorite, but this rewatch made me realize how many of the iconic moments from this series come out of Aliens and Alien 3. The OG movie is just way different from everything after it because no one knows about the Aliens. It's a slow-burn mystery for 50 minutes, and the chest burst only happens 57 minutes into the movie. Then, we don't get a clear look at the Alien until the late game.

The funny thing is that you can tell how limiting the Alien costume was compared to future iterations. There are some awkward shots of the Alien, mainly when it's hiding on the escape pod.

All that said, the movie holds up as a classic. The slow build-up works even when we know what's coming. The action is great, Ripley is a GOAT-tier Final Girl, and I wish someone would take a stab at capturing THIS Alien vibe rather than the more action-oriented follow-ups. Give me a slasher not space cowboys/marines vs monsters!

The Mill:
I was really excited to give this a look, so I skipped ahead on the list. Unfortunately, I wasn't feeling the movie itself. It feels like a blatant ripoff of better "eff the system" horror-centric films (ie: The Platform). There's an obvious allegory for the working class rat race, but nothing creative or unique to say about it. Instead, we have 90% of the movie focused on just Lil Rel in a small room next to that wheel. Rel's cool, but he can't carry the emotional weight of this movie and there's not enough humor for his charisma to make up for poor dialogue.

Plus, these flicks usually end on an empowering note...but I didn't get that vibe from this at all. Matter of fact, skip this and watch the episode of Black Mirror with Daniel Kaluuya on the treadmill. It's a better take on similar themes right down to running in place/doing circles and getting nowhere.

Bonus Watches:
Winnie The Pooh - Blood and Honey:

I've been putting this movie off due to low expectations. It didn't disappoint, but it wasn't better than I expected either. There's a paper-thin plot, and the characters are flat-out dumb. They don't have survival instincts; they seem like they're TRYING to get bodied. But the kill effects and designs are pretty impressive, and it's kinda funny as a gimmick.
Damn can’t believe we’re halfway thru it. Been a nice ride so far

Realm-Breaker

Sometimes known as Were-Breaker/Cunning Linguist
Daps
Reppin
Realm far from here
When I google certain movies GOOGLE has an easter egg that displays emojis related to the movie. I tried googling a list but I can't find one.

Can you guys guess what movies these are?

Can you guys find more?
😸I see....
frozen?
Shining!
It!
the birds?
Poltergeist!

Straw Hat Luffy

Veteran
Daps
I watched Halloween III: Season of the Witch

:whoo: Banger

Main character looked like Drake in a wig :russ:

He started banging dead dude’s daughter 20 mins in :russ:

The only thing I really want to nitpick is how it’s suppose to be about witches and sacrifices but the villains seem to be robots.???

I bet Halloween fans were pissed when this dropped when they realized there’s no Michael.

It's_Nade

All Star
Daps
I watched Halloween III: Season of the Witch

:whoo: Banger

Main character looked like Drake in a wig :russ:

He started banging dead dude’s daughter 20 mins in :russ:

The only thing I really want to nitpick is how it’s suppose to be about witches and sacrifices but the villains seem to be robots.???

I bet Halloween fans were pissed when this dropped when they realized there’s no Michael.
It’s turning into one of my favorite entries in the franchise. I even play the soundtrack every morning this month lol. And Drake in a wig is Tom Atkins lol he’s great in other horror movies; Night of the Creeps, The Fog, Maniac Cop, Creepshow

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
Forgot to write about this one. So we made it to 'Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan' and I had been looking forward to this. I had not seen it in a while and it's always been sort of a guilty pleasure for me. You can't not love breh boxing Jason goin straight at him, lookin like a young Sugar Ray 🥊 of course u know how that goes lol.

Here's the problem though with the movie. Once they get to Manhattan it's pure fukkery and highly enjoyable. I appreciate them going for something different. But it takes fukking FOREVER to get off the boat and into what we all came to see.

It's_Nade

All Star
Daps
Forgot to write about this one. So we made it to 'Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan' and I had been looking forward to this. I had not seen it in a while and it's always been sort of a guilty pleasure for me. You can't not love breh boxing Jason goin straight at him, lookin like a young Sugar Ray 🥊 of course u know how that goes lol.

Here's the problem though with the movie. Once they get to Manhattan it's pure fukkery and highly enjoyable. I appreciate them going for something different. But it takes fukking FOREVER to get off the boat and into what we all came to see.
Guilty pleasure of mine as well. First one I remember watching and loved it. So bad it’s good. I’ll always return to it

Straw Hat Luffy

Veteran
Daps

Wild how I was about to post about this movie

I was waiting to finish my watch through Friday the 13th

But I actually hate this movie

The one with juwanna man singing in the porta potty fukking slaps tho

West Coast Avenger

West Coastin & Smokin
Daps
Reppin
206 Emerald City
VHS 85 was decent....I thoroughly enjoyed it ...
images

The Jester could of been way better.... disappointed with this one...
MV5BZDcyYzRiZmItMTliMS00M2JkLWE0MGMtOWFkMDJmOTAzY2IzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyOTMzOTMzMTg@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg