Essential The Official Coli Horror Film Thread: Discussion, Recommendations And Murder.

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
I just realized that I’ve never watched the X-files series before
:ohhh:
this popped up in my reccs -going to start watching the series off the strength

and they really banned an episode - ep 4-2 called Home. Looks like a “wrong turn” concept with the deformed hillbillies

Finding out all of this for the first time today; this series looks
:ohhh:

@The Hierophant have you watched the X-files before? Idk how this slipped past my radar all of these years
6Hcz.gif

Yes. I have. It scared me as a child and fascinated me as an adult. I haven't seen every episode but I'll probably stream the whole thing at some point. The show is amazing. It's just great my favorite episode is probably the Detour episode. The scariest one though has to be Salvage for me. Just horrifying, it's an homage to Tetsuo the Iron man.( Japanese body horror.) If you haven't seen the X-file stop what you are watching and binge it. It is worth the watch.

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
yeah I get why he does tho. and I told him I feel him on ALL of that. my issue wasn't the themes of the movie or even what it had to say. I just thought they were all horrible people and I don't really like horror movies where im rooting for everyone to die. dragging that shyt out for 2 or more hours just makes it worse
Yeah. That was a big issue I had too. None of the people were likable. None of them were good people, like they weren't just stupid kids. They weren't good people.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Yeah. That was a big issue I had too. None of the people were likable. None of them were good people, like they weren't just stupid kids. They weren't good people.

Bingo. and he can handle shyt like that lol. at least better than I can. I need someone to give a fukk about. Although I did care about her struggle and definitely empathized and sympathized. that shyt sucks losing a relative. can't imagine losing all three at once. but me liking her wasn't enough.

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
Bingo. and he can handle shyt like that lol. at least better than I can. I need someone to give a fukk about. Although I did care about her struggle and definitely empathized and sympathized. that shyt sucks losing a relative. can't imagine losing all three at once. but me liking her wasn't enough.
And it seems like she got kind of corrupted at the end. I don't like when the main character falls into a negative space.

Daps
Reppin
Denver
On midsommar:

I’m not sure he was too likable, but I definitely had sympathy for the BF. He was done with his GF at the beginning of the movie, but after her family died, not only did he have to stay with her but he got guilted into inviting her to what was supposed to be a boys trip. And probably one that had been in the works for a long time.

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
On midsommar:

I’m not sure he was too likable, but I definitely had sympathy for the BF. He was done with his GF at the beginning of the movie, but after her family died, not only did he have to stay with her but he got guilted into inviting her to what was supposed to be a boys trip. And probably one that had been in the works for a long time.
I understand the guilt but to the drag that out was kinda foolish. He was probably done with her before the movie started. Should have ended it then.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
yeah I get why he does tho. and I told him I feel him on ALL of that. my issue wasn't the themes of the movie or even what it had to say. I just thought they were all horrible people and I don't really like horror movies where im rooting for everyone to die. dragging that shyt out for 2 or more hours just makes it worse
I also hated every human being in Midsommar. All of the characters were either dreadful a$$holes, barely fleshed out non-entities or interchangeable creepily smiling Swedes. The fact that the primary characters all fall under the dreadful a$$hole banner presented a huge problem because a horror movie needs to either:

1. Make you like a character so much you don’t want anything to happen to them and actually feel something when harm inevitably comes to them

2. Make you hate a character so much that you cannot wait to see them suffer whatever horrible fate they are doomed to meet.​

Midsommar robbed the audience of the visceral joy that comes from watching unlikable characters suffer horrible fates because the horrible characters were either dealt with off-screen, they were dispatched in ways that didn’t really satisfy or they weren't dealt with at all.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
Damn, Midsommar getting piled on in here. :mjcry:

I understand the guilt but to the drag that out was kinda foolish. He was probably done with her before the movie started. Should have ended it then.
Oh yeah, he was definitely done with her prior to it all. Still didn’t stop from gaslighting. I guess in the end, they both got what they wanted. Maybe not in the preferred way....but their relationship is over. :mjgrin:

I don’t think it’s foolish. There are plenty of toxic relationships out there like that where it really should’ve ended months/years ago but deception and facade of fake emotions have unnecessarily prolonged it into an even bigger issue. I can see why some may not like it but I thought it was neat how Aster turned it into a folk horror story.

Last edited: