The Official Chicago Discussion Thread

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
I have never had harold's to this day, but I did buy my co-worker some harold's outta that hyde park one cuz she was my secret santa person.

I dont think there is one on 48th and ashland. I have never seen it. I mean hell, there's another one on 56th and ashland and 51st and damen, so its not like they ain't everywhere in that area.

imo,....it is one of the best harold's, i ever been to.

i rank it behind 87 th and the dan ryan.

before the one on the east side on 71st, and paxton.

plus the deals on 48th/ashland are on smash if they still have them running.

art barr

malc

WSGT$
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
i live in the suburbs but I may be going up to Chicago tomorrow night, but imma be coolin in my pool before that :win:

the next guy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Girl, 7, shot dead at mom's candy stand: 'You cannot get away with killing my baby' - chicagotribune.com

Ashake Banks said she opened a candy stand on the street of her North Austin block two weeks ago to keep kids close to their homes and maybe away from gang crossfire.

Late Wednesday night, Banks' 7-year-old daughter Heaven was sitting next to Banks as she sold snacks and snow cones when someone opened fire down the street around 10:45 p.m. A stray bullet hit the little girl as she ran back to her house in the 1700 block of North Luna Avenue, police and family say.

Heaven was shot in the back and died half an hour later.

"I opened up the candy store for the kids so they wouldn't have to be pulled back and forth on the block because there's been so much shooting," Banks said this morning. "I figured they (gang members) know us, they wouldn't come to the neighborhood and start shooting, but they really didn't even care.

"She looked forward every day to opening up the candy store, and for somebody just to come take her life, it's not right," Banks said.

She said the block was filled with children playing when two men came out out a gangway and one of them started shooting at a group of people standing on the sidewalk near the candy stand. "We're just sitting out here, normal, she's sitting next to me and I just heard shooting," Banks told WGN-TV.

Banks said she threw herself to the ground while her daughter ran for the family's home. Moments later, Banks said she found her daughter unconscious inside a hallway.

"I'm lost for words. That was my pride and joy," Banks said. The little girl had been looking forward to going to Disney World next month. "She just got her hair done, she was going to Disney World."

A 19-year-old man, described by police as a gang member, was wounded in the ankle and taken to Loyola University Medical Center in Maywood, police said. The girl was pronounced dead there at 11:16 p.m., according to the Cook County medical examiner's office.

Heaven is the 20th person under the age of 17 to be killed by gunfire in Chicago this year, according to a Tribune crime analysis.

Police recently released statistics showing the number of Chicago Public School students shot this past school year -- 319 -- was the highest in four years. The toll from last weekend's gun violence in the city included the deaths of two boys, 13 and 14.

The Austin community, which includes the North Austin neighborhood, has seen 16 homicides so far this year -- four in the last week.

Banks said her daughter was frightened by all the violence around her home and had pleaded with her to move out. "She would say, 'Mom, let's move.' "

Banks had a message for the gangs in her neighborhood. "You all cannot just get away with killing my baby," she said. "You all took her life."

William Lee is a reporter for the Tribune, Jae Miller is a reporter for WGN-TV

the next guy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/26/u...-percent-in-chicago-in-12.html?pagewanted=all

Mr. Emanuel listed safer streets among his top three priorities when he became mayor a year ago, but Chicago, the nation’s third-largest city, is now testing that promise. Homicides are up by 38 percent from a year ago, and shootings have increased as well, even as killings have held steady or dropped in New York, Los Angeles and some other cities. As of June 17, 240 people had been killed here this year, mostly in shootings, 66 more deaths than occurred in the same period in 2011.

“That’s somebody’s husband, somebody’s son, and they’re dying right on our block,” said Maya Hodari, who lives on a South Side street where two shootings have already taken place this year, one of them fatal and another as a toddler looked on. “It hurts.”

The violence has left its largest scars in some of Chicago’s most impoverished, struggling neighborhoods on the South and West Sides, places with views of the city’s gleaming downtown skyline that feel worlds apart. Wealthier, whiter parts of the city have not been entirely immune — shootings were reported in the last few days along the city’s Magnificent Mile shopping district and near the Lincoln Park Zoo — but a majority of the killings have been tied to Chicago’s increasingly complicated gang warfare, police statistics suggest, and to the gritty neighborhoods where gangs have long thrived.