The Official Chicago Discussion Thread

Double Burger With Cheese

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Chicago folks(don't even ask me how): How accurate is this? It's about the former Chicago Public School head that's now the Secretary of Education.

Obama's Betrayal of Public Education? Arne Duncan and the Corporate Model of Schooling

images

the next guy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
5 killed, 34 wounded in weekend shootings - chicagotribune.com

read this

June 18, 2012

By the time paramedics wheeled Daniel Dilce into Stroger Hospital's busy trauma unit early Sunday, there was little doctors could do to save his life.

Blood leaked from the 35-year-old's wounds and radiated across the white sheets beneath him as a heart monitor reported an unbroken flat line. CPR hadn't worked during the ambulance ride from the North Austin neighborhood, where he was shot while sitting in a vehicle outside his home. He hadn't had a pulse in 20 minutes.

"So the time of death is now," trauma surgeon Dr. Andrew Dennis said at 2:13 a.m. to the paramedics huddled around the body. Periods of silence followed as Dennis examined the wounds to Dilce's back, shoulder and face.

"There are patients you can save and there are patients you can't. You have to work within the confines God gives you," said Dennis, his eyes ringed by dark circles during the overnight shift at one of the country's busiest trauma centers.

Dilce was one of five people fatally shot in Chicago during the hot, violent weekend. Thirty-four others were shot. The numbers come on top of a bloody 2012 so far. As of early last week, homicides had risen about 35 percent compared with the same period in 2011; shootings had increased 11 percent.

It was a stressful weekend for Chicago police. For the first time this year, the department offered overtime to officers in an effort to tamp down violence in gang-infested neighborhoods on the South and West sides, prevent mob attacks such as the ones along the Michigan Avenue corridor last weekend and provide security for a visit from President Barack Obama.

When the inevitable gun violence erupted, Dennis and his team at Stroger rushed to rescue the wounded, treating seven gunshot victims from Saturday night to Sunday afternoon.

Some weekend nights bring as many as 15 gunshot victims into the county hospital's trauma unit, Dennis said. Though he tired visibly as the hours passed, Dennis, the head surgeon for the night, brought energy to his work making incisions, finding buried bullets, sewing up wounds and coaching less experienced doctors. He joked about fatigue, but he also made critical remarks to doctors as he supervised.

As of 1:10 a.m., 12 of the unit's 14 stations designated for trauma patients were filled. The injured were attached to machines that fed fluids and monitored hearts. It was so busy that Dennis called another trauma surgeon for help, something he's done only a handful of times in the last several years.

The patients had come to the unit for reasons that ranged from the mundane to the unusual — an intoxicated grandfather was hit by a vehicle while he carried his granddaughter. They both needed treatment.

But gunshot wounds are a constant on hot weekends, Dennis said. The doctors and nurses, he said, don't judge their patients based on their lifestyles.

"I don't care … what you did. We'll take care of you," he said. "And you'll pay the man later for whatever deeds you did."

The trauma unit sees the results of gun violence that has surged to the dismay of Mayor Rahm Emanuel and police Superintendent Garry McCarthy, who argued last week that the city has a "perception problem." McCarthy pointed out that while homicides and shootings are up for the year, the numbers have improved in recent weeks. In addition, overall crime is down.

Looking to stem the shootings, the city offered overtime to officers willing to trade a day off for weekend work. More than 100 officers took the department up on the offer over the weekend, according to spokeswoman Melissa Stratton. Extra police were deployed "based on an analysis of where additional assistance was needed in neighborhoods throughout the city, as well as at the beaches and Michigan Avenue," she said.

Beat officers were in heavy supply downtown Saturday night. There were no reports of unprovoked mob attacks like the ones last weekend.

McCarthy was unavailable for comment Sunday.

As of Sunday, the city did not appear to be on track for a weekend as bloody as the last one when 53 people were shot, nine of them fatally. Still, the totals from Friday afternoon to Sunday night stood at 34 wounded and five dead.

"The hotter it is, the more violence we tend to see, and probably that's more of the result of people being outside," Dennis said.

About 2 a.m. Sunday, Dilce was sitting in a vehicle outside his home in the 1300 block of North Lorel Avenue, where he lived for most of his life, neighbors and family said. Shot several times, he was wheeled into Stroger as a "triple zero" patient, likely dead on arrival.

After pronouncing Dilce dead, Dennis pointed to a wound near his left armpit and suggested the fatal bullet ripped through his aorta or another major artery.

Gunfire is not foreign to Dilce's neighborhood, and his family history indicates the intractability of the city's violence problem. His brother, Victor Gates, was shot to death as a teenager in the 1990s just blocks north of Sunday morning's shooting, said Dilce's sister Takita Dilce. At a church nearby, she spent the afternoon crying and coping with the death of her "baby brother."

"It's messed up, it's really bad. The same thing just happened all over again in the same area," she said.

A few inches can mean life or death for a shooting victim. Just after pronouncing Dilce dead, Dennis muttered, "There's your 1 in 6." He said he was referring to statistics indicating that 1 out of every 6 people die when they're shot.

The other weekend homicides happened across the city. Jaime Ocampo, 32, was fatally shot and two others were wounded in the 2300 block of North Laramie Avenue. He died early Sunday on the front porch.

Shakaki Asphy, 16, died in Advocate Christ Medical Center on Sunday morning after she and another man were shot Saturday night in the 2000 block of West 70th Place.

Antonio Buck, 32, was fatally shot in the 5100 block of South Honore Street and was pronounced dead in Holy Cross Hospital early Saturday.

Tiffany Edwards, 25, was fatally shot at 76th and State streets and pronounced dead in St. Bernard Hospital on Sunday morning.

Others brought to Stroger were more fortunate.

Doctors performed surgery on a 33-year-old man shot about 10 p.m. Saturday in the 2700 block of West Thomas Street in the Humboldt Park neighborhood. Police said the shooting appeared to be the result of a gang skirmish. He was shot in the right buttock, and an X-ray showed the bullet came to rest in his abdomen, Dennis said.

Doctors sliced into the man's abdomen and traced the bullet's path, repairing the damage it caused. The round ripped six holes in the man's small intestine and another in a muscle next to his colon, Dennis said. Dennis and other doctors, outfitted in blue scrubs, rubber gloves and face shields, stitched up a portion of the man's small intestine with forceps.

An anesthesiologist stood with the team and monitored the man's vital signs as a machine beeped in sync with his pulse. Bloody gauze was piled next to the man.

Cortez Watson, 21, also survived a brush with gun violence in the 5200 block of South Damen Avenue in the Back of the Yards neighborhood about 7:30 p.m. Saturday. Later, he slept in the trauma unit as his sister, Latana Robinson, stood over him, angry about the attack but happy he survived.

While Robinson said her brother wasn't in a gang, Chicago police said the shooting appeared to be gang related. Robinson acknowledged a gang conflict has raged around the scene of her brother's shooting.

Doctors stitched up a bloody, gaping hole on the right side of his jaw, the bullet's entry point, Dennis said. The bullet, one of several fired in the attack, lodged in his neck.

"I'm blessed that he made it," Robinson said. "Out of 15 to 20 rounds, you can't say anything but the angels just moved him from side to side."

Dennis didn't disagree that his patient was fortunate. As the surgeon made his rounds, he stopped to speak with Watson and his sister at their station among the others wounded during the hot Saturday night.

"Lucky man!" the doctor exclaimed as he walked off toward the next patient.

the next guy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Skilling: We're on a hot streak not seen since 1977 - chicagotribune.com

get out them air conditioners.
Chicago's seeing a second uncomfortably hot day in a row, potentially hotter than Monday, with highs expected later this afternoon in the middle to upper 90s.

By noon, the temperature at O'Hare International Airport hit 91 degrees, marking the 12th time this year that the Chicago area has been visited by 90-plus temperatures. Only one other year -- since official weather records began in 1871 -- has logged more 90-degree or higher readings by June 19. The year was 1977 and there were 13 days in the 90s by this date.

By 3 p.m., the temperature had inched up to 94 at O'Hare and Waukegan, 93 at Midway, and 92 at the Lakefront, in Wheeling and at the DuPage County Airport, according to the National Weather Service.

the next guy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Cops: 4 shot in Englewood neighborhood - chicagotribune.com

Four men were wounded, three of them seriously in a shooting in the city's Englewood neighborhood late Tuesday, Chicago police said.

The four men between the ages of 19 and 25 were standing in the 7000 block of South Bishop Street just before 11:45 p.m. when a gunman approached and opened fire on the group, police said, citing early reports.

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
so the other day,..when i made this post,......

damn,..get low,...these nikkaz right outside my shyt for real buss'n,..wtf!!

art barr

yo,..i had an eye strain, and i heard what sounded like killing shots.

come to find out that shyt happened right at my backgate, of the jank.

the cops were chasin after these dudes from a shooting.
they killed't these two dudes in my yard basically. like if the dudes actually would have made it into and ran into my yard. they would have been in my yard and my bedroom would have been shot up.

shyt was on the fox news supposedly,.....

i couldn't see shyt cause of this eye strain.....

plus i did not peek out the window which was open,...cause i could tell the shots were so close.

i did not finally find out what happened till last night after the game.

nikkaz was like were you in your bedroom,...and you had the lights off cause of your eye.

i was like yeah,..they was like man, joe

...they killed't them nikka right there by your gate,..just feet from your bedroom.

my life is a cartoon.

that is like the fifth murder that happened around me,...to someone else. i been in close proximity of since 2ooo.

this one i didn't see,.....

i seen more murders back in the 90's,..though.

dis shyt cray.....

art barr

the next guy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
so the other day,..when i made this post,......

yo,..i had an eye strain, and i heard what sounded like killing shots.

come to find out that shyt happened right at my backgate, of the jank.

the cops were chasin after these dudes from a shooting.
they killed't these two dudes in my yard basically. like if the dudes actually would have made it into and ran into my yard. they would have been in my yard and my bedroom would have been shot up.

shyt was on the fox news supposedly,.....

i couldn't see shyt cause of this eye strain.....

plus i did not peek out the window which was open,...cause i could tell the shots were so close.

i did not finally find out what happened till last night after the game.

nikkaz was like were you in your bedroom,...and you had the lights off cause of your eye.

i was like yeah,..they was like man, joe

...they killed't them nikka right there by your gate,..just feet from your bedroom.

my life is a cartoon.

that is like the fifth murder that happened around me,...to someone else. i been in close proximity of since 2ooo.

this one i didn't see,.....

i seen more murders back in the 90's,..though.

dis shyt cray.....

art barr

Damn. Are you good? nikkas are disgusting.

the next guy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Traffic stop leads to charges in South Side robbery spree - chicagotribune.com

A traffic stop has led to the arrest of four men suspected of a string of armed muggings on the South Side, Chicago police said.

Gresham District officers stopped a gray Chevy near the 7900 block of South Ellis Avenue at about 1:30 a.m. Tuesday after the car ran a red traffic light, police said. An officer saw one of the passengers, Glen Williams, toss a handgun into the back seat.

The officers ordered the four men out of the car and found a pistol, along with cash, cell phones and identification cards, police said. The car had been taken in a carjacking, police said.

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
Damn. Are you good? nikkas are disgusting.

yeah,..i am cool.

since i had that eyestrain,....

my house looked like it was no one here.

it had all the lights off because light was hurting my eye.

plus i could not see,....so it is best i did not see shyt.

heard the cops were out there all night and a sanitatioj truck cleaned up the pavement the next morning.

so when i did emerge it was like a normal day, for me.

art barr