The Official Charlotte, NC Discussion Thread

Daps
https://www.charlotteobserver.com/charlottefive/c5-around-town/c5-development/article249509260.html

This new bar and lounge from Lulu’s Jay Davis will give you ‘Cheers’ vibes
By Jessica Swannie

March 01, 2021 09:12 AM,
Updated March 01, 2021 09:20 AM
image4.jpeg

Jay Davis, the co-owner of Lulu’s Maryland Style Chicken and Seafood, recently unveiled a soft opening of his newest venture: Hideaway Bar & Lounge. Courtesy of Hideaway
It’s been a crazy year. So when you need a place to get away from the house — a hideaway, perhaps — Joseph “Jay” Davis has you covered.

The co-owner of Lulu’s Maryland Style Chicken and Seafood recently unveiled a soft opening of his newest venture: Hideaway Bar & Lounge.

“When I was a kid, what really made me want to open a bar and lounge was the show New York Undercover,” Davis said. “Torres’ father owned a lounge called Natalie’s, and they would go and hang out there at the end of the show. And since I was a kid, I wanted Natalie’s Lounge. That’s where my original idea came from.”

Hideaway is Davis’ very own Natalie’s, named for his first thought upon approaching the building.

“The name came from the location,” Davis said. “If you come down Tuckaseegee from one direction or another, you’ll see all these buildings, and then hidden away in the back is a small building. It was the very first thing I thought when I saw the building.”

The building itself was one of the first Davis scouted when initially opening Lulu’s first location, closely followed by a second. Though he didn’t get it back then, the real estate agent reached back out to him when the owner wanted to sell and offered it to Davis before putting it back up on the market. He called his wife, Miketa Davis (more on their incredible love story here) and said, “I think I could turn this place into something else.”

DSC_1095.jpg

Jay and Miketa Davis have been busy with a wedding and restaurant openings, but they always have time to make each other laugh. Alvin C. Jacobs Jr./Courtesy of The LEPR Agency
If you’ve followed Davis’ ventures, you already know he’s cool. But he’s even motorcycle-club cool.

When he first planned to purchase the building, Davis approached members of his motorcycle club for the business venture, but didn’t hear back soon enough, so, with Miketa’s support, he decided to make his bar and lounge dream a reality.

“I told her the guys weren’t jumping on the idea, and she said, ‘Well, just do it by yourself. You have a lot of ideas, a lot of creativity.’ She is my coach and my cheerleader.”

Get our newsletter

Think ‘Cheers’, but in Charlotte
The vibe for Hideaway is simple: relaxation.

While the bar caters to Baltimore Ravens and Orioles fans, it’s meant to be a space where adults can sit back and relax with other adults who want to sit back and relax.

“It’s a place where you can enjoy some good music, good people\ and good sports,” Davis said.

He compares it to the sitcom “Cheers.”

image1.jpeg

Jay Davis, the co-owner of Lulu’s Maryland Style Chicken and Seafood, recently unveiled a soft opening of his newest venture: Hideaway Bar & Lounge. Courtesy of Hideaway
“Cheers was a place that everybody went to unwind, regardless of their lifestyle. So I see the advantage of being able to have that place where you can go and feel like you’re at home, but you’re away from home. So you don’t have the obligations of being a father or a mother, all those pieces, but you can still relax and enjoy yourself before getting back to reality,” Davis said.

Inside, there are booths, tables and barstools, and outside, you’ll find a patio lounge. The lounge will offer both space for small groups as well as reservable VIP space, complete with a dedicated server.

While Charlotte has been put on the map because of its brewery scene, Davis looks at his business ventures to fill spaces that are missing.

“I don’t ever want to do what everybody else is doing,” Davis said. “I want to find my own lane and just master that.”

Bar food, but better
The menu caters to what you’d expect to find at a bar. But with Davis behind the project, you know the food will far surpass your expectations of bar food. Sure, you’ll find salads and bacon cheeseburgers. But you’ll also find a honey buffalo sandwich, complete with a honey-buffalo-glazed fried chicken breast on brioche with bacon, lettuce and tomato — one of Davis’ personal favorites. He also recommends the brisket quesadilla and the chili cheese fries. And these aren’t just any chili cheese fries … these are chili cheese fries with brisket in the chili. (Honestly, can you even go back to regular chili cheese fries after that?)

On the beverage side, Hideaway will offer normal beer and alcoholic drinks, but will also have twelve specialty drinks, including a “Baltimore Ravens” cocktail and a “Quickie on the Lake” — a cheeky reference to the ever-popular Sex on the Beach cocktail. Drinks will be made daiquiri-style, served frozen in a glass topped with an umbrella.

At this time, Davis is waiting on some permits for in-person dining, but you can still order takeout. Upon fully opening, he plans to offer poetry nights, jazzy summer nights with live music and days dedicated to working women. While waiting for permits to be finalized, he’s taken COVID-19 precautions into account, and will have six-foot spacing between tables inside and in the patio area. Some booths will be blocked off as well, and bar stools will be spaced to allow for social distancing. All staff members will wear masks and keep sanitizer on them at all times.

Hideaway
2710 Tuckaseegee Road

Open noon to 12 a.m., Thursday-Monday. Closed Tuesday and Wednesday

Daps
https://qcitymetro.com/2021/03/03/b...ent-of-9-billion-in-north-carolina-contracts/

Black businesses awarded less than 1 percent of NC’s $9.9B in state agency contracts, study finds
Latest disparity study analyzed contracts awarded to minority- and women-owned businesses in North Carolina over a five-year period.
Black-construction-worker.jpg

Photo via Shutterstock
By Katrina Louis
March 3, 2021

A new study highlights just how little North Carolina spends with minority- and women-owned businesses.

The state’s Office of Historically Underutilized Businesses held its first of three community briefings Monday for its 2021 disparity study findings. The virtual presentation showed that minority- and women-owned businesses accounted for 2% of the roughly $9.9 billion in contracts awarded by 29 state agencies for goods and services from July 1, 2013 through June 30, 2018.

State agencies spent approximately $21.6 million, or 0.22%, with Black firms.

Why it matters: The 2021 study is the first comprehensive HUB study in over a decade. The goal was to determine whether the state’s Department of Administration, either in the past or currently, engages in exclusionary practices in how it solicits and awards contracts to minority- and women-owned businesses.

Atlanta-based consulting firm Griffin & Strong, P.C., conducted the study over 18 months and analyzed spending in five major industries: construction, architecture and engineering, professional services, other services and goods. A second volume of the report analyzed spending by 58 community colleges and 21 universities in the same five industries.

QCity Metro thanks its sponsors. Become One.
In construction, for example, where the state spent $683 million, approximately:

• $5.6 million (0.83%) went to Black businesses
  • $5.3 million (0.77%) went to Latino businesses
  • $1.6 million (0.23%) went to American Indian businesses
  • $52,000 (0.01%) went to Asian businesses
  • $37 million (5.39%) went to businesses owned by White women
Along with hard data, firms shared a number of issues and concerns about doing business with the state’s administration department. Anecdotes ranged from double standards in qualifications that precluded firms from participating in the bidding process to beliefs that the so-called “Good Ole’ Boy” network excluded certain contractors and subcontractors.

The findings signaled “an inference of discrimination” in the state’s public contracting and concluded that the state “has been a passive [participant] in marketplace discrimination” toward historically underutilized businesses.

The study presented 11 recommendations, including strengthening the HUB program, giving local agencies more discretion to make policy changes based on their own disparity studies, and implementing mandatory subcontracting goals on large contracts to create more opportunities.

The state’s Office of Historically Underutilized Businesses will host two additional Zoom presentations to share details about the findings and recommendations:

For more information, visit ncadmin.nc.gov/businesses/hub.

Daps
https://qcitymetro.com/2021/03/04/i...nd-laundry-center-aimed-at-neighbors-in-need/

Inside the Hope Tank, the mobile shower and laundry center aimed at neighbors in need
Emmanuel and Adrienne Threatt launched the mobile hygiene service during the pandemic as the number of homeless residents increased.
HOPE-TANK-1.jpeg

The Hope Tank is a mobile hygiene service vehicle created by Adrienne and Emmanuel Threatt of Hope Vibes. Photo: Gracyn Doctor | WFAE
By Gracyn Doctor, WFAE
March 4, 2021

A YouTube video changed Adrienne Threatt’s life.

“A homeless woman was sharing about dealing with her menstrual cycle while living on the streets,” Threatt said. “And she would have to often decide whether she was going to use her limited resources to buy food that week or feminine hygiene products.”

Threatt was moved. She shared the video with friends and her husband, Emmanuel. Soon, she was moved to action with the help of Emmanuel and volunteers. They passed out feminine hygiene products to homeless women in Charlotte.

Adrienne and Emmanuel Threatt started Hope Vibes in 2017. In November, they rolled out “the Hope Tank,” a mobile hygiene service vehicle.

“The idea was really to be able to provide that hygiene need at the next level,” Emmanuel Threatt said. “So, laundry showers, restrooms with sinks, and toilets and mirrors so that a person can really feel like they’re at home and bring that home aspect just out in the streets.”

HOPE-TANK-7-1024x683.jpeg

Adrienne and Emmanuel Threatt launched the Hope Tank in November 2020 to help their neighbors experiencing homelessness. Photo: Gracyn Doctor | WFAE
The Hope Tank houses two full-sized bathrooms and three sets of washers and dryers outfitted in a box truck. Between the bathrooms and the laundry area are two 400-gallon freshwater tanks and one wastewater tank. The setup requires two generators to operate, plus propane to heat the water and the dryers.

“The bathrooms themselves are a mixture between a home bathroom and an RV, so there’s elements of an RV in the Hope Tank — but then parts of it feels like home,” Emmanuel said.

The Hope Tank goes out into the community every second Saturday of the month, with occasional pop-up days in between. Until it was ordered to be cleared by county health officials, the encampment known as Tent City was a regular stop.

HOPE-TANK-2-1024x683.jpeg

Emmanuel Threatt said the bathrooms are a mix between a home bathroom and an RV to make people feel at home while they’re using it. Photo: Gracyn Doctor | WFAE
When it still stood, a resident there named Chris arrived with a small plastic bag of clothes in one hand. It was cold and raining hard. He got a cup of coffee. During a brief interview, he called the Hope Tank “enlightening” and “positive” before heading to a washing machine where a volunteer helped him.

The volunteers are familiar with Chris. He regularly comes to wash clothes and take a shower. Chris said he’s been homeless for over a year.

The number of homeless residents in Mecklenburg County increased during the pandemic. In January 2020, there were 2,977 people experiencing homelessness in Mecklenburg County. By the end of January 2021, there were 3,022 people, most of whom were Black. New data released by the Housing Advisory Board of Charlotte-Mecklenburg County shows that while Black people only make up 31% of the population in the county, they are 79% of people experiencing homelessness.

Adrienne Threatt said the pandemic has made it harder for people who are homeless because places they would typically go to freshen up have been unavailable.

“There were a lot more people that were on the streets that just didn’t have the typical access they would usually have inside of restaurants uptown and things like that,” she said.

HOPE-TANK-3-1024x682.jpeg

The Threatts use art in the Hope Tank, like this piece by local artist Frankie Zombie, as another way to give hope. Photo: Gracyn Doctor | WFAE
Hope Vibes received a $50,000 grant from United Way to help people during the pandemic. Adrienne Threatt said the organization also has sponsors and gets donations. People give items like hygiene products, blankets and socks that are passed out when Hope Tank makes a stop.

“The way that people have this sense of renewal once they’ve had an opportunity to take a shower after not having had one for weeks or months,” Adrienne Threatt said. “Being able to wash their clothes so that they can go to a job interview and not be insecure because they have stains on their clothes or smell a certain way. Like, to me, that’s huge. And I’m thankful that I get a chance to be a part of doing the work that we do.”

She said the pandemic has limited the number of volunteers, but about 20 still show up at Hope Tank events. Volunteer Rebekah Peterson said she can relate to many of the people they serve.

“I come out here because I’ve been in situations where I didn’t have permanent housing,” Peterson said. “And I’ve loved a lot of people that have been in situations without permanent housing, and so I know that a lot of times it doesn’t have to do with bad choices that you made. It’s just things that happen to you.”

In the future, Hope Vibes hopes to get another truck. They’re also preparing to launch the “Solar Sinks Project,” which aims to place touchless, solar-powered hand washing stations throughout the city — another way the couple plans to “give hope daily.”

Daps
https://qcitymetro.com/2021/02/24/j...tacos-sandwiches-fries-and-is-covid-friendly/

Johnson & Wales alum serves up tacos, sandwiches, fries… and is Covid-friendly
Chef Corey Jones opened Mad Dash to cook and serve his favorite foods. Get takeout and eat at a local park.
maddash_park-1.png

By Bethany Lane
February 24, 2021
Sponsored by:

takeOUTside is proudly presented by Charlotte Regional Visitors Authority, our partner as we (safely) explore Charlotte-area restaurants, parks and green spaces.

Our pairing:
Restaurant: Mad Dash
Outdoor Space: Frazier Park
Distance between them: 1.3 miles – 4 minute drive

To Corey Jones, there’s nothing better than a good burger and fries. Which is why his restaurant, Mad Dash, specializes in burgers, sandwiches, tacos and house-cut french fries.

“I’ve always enjoyed cooking for people. When you leave here, you’ll want to make a mad dash back, because the food was so good,” Corey said when asked to explain how he came up with the restaurant’s name.

The restaurant is located near Wesley Heights, in Historic West End. It’s inside The City Kitch West End, which is a ghost kitchen — a shared cooking space that multiple restaurants can rent out. To order, head to their website, order and pay online, then pick your food up inside the lobby of The City Kitch West End. Mad Dash also offers delivery.

“It’s very Covid-friendly” Corey said, since it’s meant to be picked up or delivered and eaten at home or at Frazier Park, just a four-minute drive away.

[See other Black-owned restaurants with nearby green spaces perfect for takeout]

The Menu
Chef Jones’ favorite menu item is the Mad Dash Burger. He also takes pride in his fries — as he should. They are salty, flavorful and have a mix of both the crispy and soft kinds. They went well with the Mushy Goat Melt, which features roasted mushrooms, caramelized onions, goat cheese, arugula, and horseradish aioli on sourdough bread — a healthier choice for those avoiding meat.

Mad Dash Burger

• Angus beef patty
  • lettuce
  • tomato
  • caramalized onions
  • garlic aioli
  • fried egg
  • crispy bacon
  • muenster cheese
The menu also offers four different taco choices, including the Thrifty Shrimp Tacos — blackened shrimp, caramelized onions, tomatoes, avocado, jalepeños, Dash Sauce, and crema.

Chef Corey Jones’ story
Jones is originally from Alaska and grew up cooking with his grandmother. In high school he got a scholarship and headed to Charlotte to attend Johnson and Wales University, where he graduated in 2012.

IMG_8615-1024x768.jpeg

He always dreamed of owning his own business and originally was working toward a food truck. But start-up costs were a little steep. After getting laid off from a chef job at the airport, Jones thought it was the perfect time to figure out how to start his own restaurant. As he learned more about ghost kitchens and their lower start-up costs. Mad Dash was opened in October of 2020.

Opening in a pandemic
“It’s been a little ride, a little roller coaster,” he said. His business so far has been relying on local traffic, word of mouth and social or news presence — his chicken sandwich was voted No. 1 by the Charlotte Observer.

Mad-Dash_resized-1024x681.jpg

Jones is hoping that as the weather gets warmer and the pandemic fades away, people will start coming out more. His long-term goals for Mad Dash are to become a staple in the community, have a food truck and brick & mortar, and employ people who need jobs.

About Mad Dash

• Address – 2200 Thrift Road, Charlotte NC 28208
  • Menu – Menu of Mad Dash
  • Hours: Mon 11 am-5pm; Tues-Fri 11am-9pm; Sat 2pm-7pm
  • Phone: 704-750-9507
  • Facebook; Instagram
TakeOUT
Mad Dash is Covid-friendly, and so is enjoying the food in a local park. There are many surrounding green spaces, including Bryant Park, Martin Luther King Neighborhood Park, or Frazier Park. The latter is only a four-minute drive from Mad Dash, and has ample parking and seating to enjoy your meal.

IMG_8627-1024x768.jpeg

On a Wednesday afternoon, the weather was cooperating and the community was taking advantage. People were playing tennis, walking the dog, throwing the football and, of course, eating lunch.

IMG_8633-1024x768.jpeg

Daps
https://qcitymetro.com/2021/03/09/newlyweds-skip-honeymoon-to-launch-south-charlotte-retail-store/

Newlyweds skip honeymoon to launch South Charlotte retail store
Antonio and Andrea Williams opened Tryon Dollar Store shortly after their wedding. They share lessons learned from the journey.
Antonio-Andrea-Williams-couplepreneur-Dollar-Store.jpg

Antonio and Andrea Williams inside their business, Tryon Dollar Store, in Steele Creek. Photo: QCity Metro
By Katrina Louis
March 9, 2021

Couple: Antonio and Andrea Williams
How long in relationship? Married since October 2020
How long in business together? Tryon Dollar Store since December 2020

Newlyweds Antonio and Andrea Williams laughed when I asked what they’re looking forward to in 2021.

“To hopefully have a honeymoon,” said Andrea, who met her future husband during the CIAA basketball tournament in 2015.

Following their October 2020 nuptials, the couple swiftly returned to plans for opening their first retail business, Tryon Dollar Store, which celebrated its grand opening on Christmas Eve.

They knew they wanted to start with a franchise opportunity, one that would thrive in any economy. Antonio says the Dollar Store brand made sense, especially opening during the holiday season and amid a pandemic when cleaning products and household items were in high demand.

Williams-Tryon-dollar-store-1024x682.jpg

Antonio and Andrea Williams opened Tryon Dollar Store in December 2020. Photo: QCity Metro
Antonio and Andrea thought they’d open the store and move on to their next venture. However, they realized that it wouldn’t be that simple.

The first pitfall: not enough space. They secured their 1,400-square-foot location in the South Point Village Shopping Center in Steele Creek and almost immediately outgrew it. By chance, the owner of an art gallery next door was moving out soon after the dollar store opened. The Williamses jumped on the opportunity.

After months of negotiation, Antonio and Andrea leased the additional space and now are in the middle of expansion plans to double the size to 2,800 square feet. The project is scheduled to be completed by the end of April.

Another lesson learned was how to staff.

“It’s a juggling act,” Antonio said. “We didn’t know if we wanted to start with building leadership or actual staff members.”

Andrea’s background in HR played a major role in sorting out those logistics. They’ve filled one full-time and three part-time positions, although they admit there are still times when they go “from being owners to managers, and sometimes, employees.”

Andrea-Williams-dollar-store-1024x682.jpg

The shopping plaza is surrounded by several apartment complexes, and Andrea says they’ve taken advantage to learn the community, even making it a priority to ask community members about what inventory to stock.

“We definitely want to be the dollar store for this area,” she said.

The couple offers this advice to other couples thinking about going into business together:

“You have to have the right partner who balances you out, one who you can collaborate with and have open dialogue with to bounce things off of each other, where you can work seamlessly together day in and day out,” Andrea shared.

Antonio says couples will come up with lots of ideas, but it’s the idea with the shortest path to a dollar that will equal success.

It’s not all work. The two unwind with movie nights and karaoke at home. Prior to the pandemic, they traveled extensively and want to reinvent what that looks like for them in the coming months.

Whenever Antonio and Andrea are ready to move on to their next venture, they said it’ll likely be another real estate opportunity. But they’re dedicating 2021 to getting Tryon Dollar Store to a point where they’re not as hands-on. And of course that honeymoon.

“With all the projects that we have, we definitely owe it to ourselves to check out and relax,” Andrea said. “But it is necessary to make sure we have our staff together, our businesses tight and under control so that when we go away, we can go away not thinking about anything or anybody.”

Tryon Dollar Store is located at 10720 S. Tryon St., Unit J, in the South Point Village Shopping Center.