The Official Charlotte, NC Discussion Thread

Skillz

Rookie
Daps
What’s up Brehs. What’s a good move for New Years? I see that Colors got R&B only here NYE. There’s usually some girls at those events. But idk about NYE. Thanks

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO
What’s up Brehs. What’s a good move for New Years? I see that Colors got R&B only here NYE. There’s usually some girls at those events. But idk about NYE. Thanks

I know my G's talking about Vapianos having something thats popping off.

But Uptown in general gonna be LITTY

Martha

muzikfrk75

Daps
Reppin
I see that Anderson Paak is gonna be at the Fillmore on Feb 19th :obama:

i clicked on the link...tickets are $105? That must be a misprint :dahell:

Larry Lambo

Superstar
Daps
Just saw the prices of them All Star events

And Gotdamn!!!!!

Saturday is about sold out with 14 tickets left starting at $1557:wow:

I ain’t no baller like that..... one of y’all rich coli cert niccas let me hold something :mjgrin:

Martha

They down to about $600 now. It's a complete waste but I'd be willing to pony up something in the $300-$400 range.

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO
They down to about $600 now. It's a complete waste but I'd be willing to pony up something in the $300-$400 range.

Oh shyt!!! I need to keep a watch.... I kinda gave up and was just gonna see what I can roll into.

Like via my company.... I kinda got cool with Jay Pharaoh and was gonna see if I can link up with him if it ain’t too crazy.

Can’t get into details.:russ:

Martha

Daps
The Yolk opens today at 7th Street Public Market - CharlotteFive

The Yolk opens today at 7th Street Public Market
By
Melissa Oyler
-
January 17, 2019

The Yolk's Greg Collier"
Photo by Alex Cason Photography
The Yolk's Greg Collier

Breakfast (and lunch and dinner) fans, take note: The Yolk, a popular eatery that originated in Rock Hill, will be open today at 7th Street Public Market.

The menu will be limited for a few days during the soft opening phase, and bring cash for now — this place is so new, they are still getting their credit card machines set up. This week’s menu will include sandwiches, omelets, grit bowls and Tennessee fries in the space formerly occupied by Local Loaf.

Once the place is in full swing, expect to find all of the favorites the original location featured — plus an entire lunch menu. Favorites include WWIII, a Belgian waffle with seasoned or buffalo chicken wings; Benny Yolko, two eggs poached with seasonal vegetables, English muffins and hollandaise sauce; or Kush, a rice and black bean burger, sweet potato mustard and slaw on a pretzel bun.

Tennessee-Fries-The-Yolk.jpg

Photo by Jess Bentley
Tennessee Fries at The Yolk
Or you could try co-owner and head chef Greg Collier’s favorite, Two if By Land, made up of two eggs, cheddar grits and toast. If you’re having it his way, add sausage. “I like a lot of things on the menu, but the grits are kinda my thing,” he said. “We’re going to take our time and cook them slow.”

Collier prepares his grits the same way his grandmother did, which is with a hambone stock. “When I went to culinary school, I wanted to pay homage and show love to my granny.”

[Related: ‘We just won the Super Bowl’: A Charlotte chef series is going national]

Also, the Two if by Land reminds Collier of his early days, eating Krystals Scramblers every morning while working his first job in the kitchen. This dish is his version of the Scrambler. “The Two if By Land speaks to my epiphanies about food, me figuring out that this is what I wanted to do.”

The dish, along with the Mojo Hash — coffee-braised steak, diced sweet potatoes, roasted mushrooms with an over-easy egg and scallion pesto — even got shoutouts on the Food Network’s show, All American Eats.

Breakfast will be served from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m., with lunch from 11:30-3 p.m.

Evenings will be a little different: each month or two, a new guest chef will be featured as part of a chef residency program. The first month will showcase food from 225 Street Food. “I wanted to give some other people an opportunity,” Collier said. “We’ve had a lot of press this year and a lot of fanfare. While I’m on stage, I might as well share with people who could use the stage.”

Leaving Rock Hill
The_Yolk_by_Alex_Cason-8262.jpg

The Yolk’s Greg and Subrina Collier
Rock Hillians know The Yolk well, as it had been a popular breakfast spot since 2012. It was successful, yet Collier and his wife and co-owner, Subrina, found themselves working seven days a week. “Then Toast came, a lot of different places came — the market share got smaller,” Greg Collier said.

Its closing on Mount Gallant Road in September was originally supposed to be temporary, with the couple hoping to find the right person to take it over. That hasn’t happened, so for now it is permanently closed, he said. Greg Collier has been serving as executive chef at Loft & Cellar.

[Related: Rock Hill breakfast hotspot The Yolk is coming to Uptown — and we’re already craving the waffles and benedicts]

It was a tough decision to leave Rock Hill, the community that supported them for 6 years, Subrina Collier said. “Greg and I are transplants — we are from Tennessee; we were in Arizona for 5 years,” she said. “We were just kids [when we arrived] — Greg was 30 and I was 26. We just had a dream and people were very supportive.”

The restaurant’s move to Charlotte made sense for the restauranteurs, who live in Steele Creek and are trying to grow their family. “Being in 7th Street Market is going to work out well for us,” Greg Collier said. “People are really excited.”

The_Yolk_by_Alex_Cason-8241.jpg

CarmelBarbie

At peace
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Charlotte
The Yolk opens today at 7th Street Public Market - CharlotteFive

The Yolk opens today at 7th Street Public Market
By
Melissa Oyler
-
January 17, 2019

The Yolk's Greg Collier"
The Yolk's Greg Collier

Breakfast (and lunch and dinner) fans, take note: The Yolk, a popular eatery that originated in Rock Hill, will be open today at 7th Street Public Market.

The menu will be limited for a few days during the soft opening phase, and bring cash for now — this place is so new, they are still getting their credit card machines set up. This week’s menu will include sandwiches, omelets, grit bowls and Tennessee fries in the space formerly occupied by Local Loaf.

Once the place is in full swing, expect to find all of the favorites the original location featured — plus an entire lunch menu. Favorites include WWIII, a Belgian waffle with seasoned or buffalo chicken wings; Benny Yolko, two eggs poached with seasonal vegetables, English muffins and hollandaise sauce; or Kush, a rice and black bean burger, sweet potato mustard and slaw on a pretzel bun.

Tennessee-Fries-The-Yolk.jpg

Photo by Jess Bentley
Tennessee Fries at The Yolk
Or you could try co-owner and head chef Greg Collier’s favorite, Two if By Land, made up of two eggs, cheddar grits and toast. If you’re having it his way, add sausage. “I like a lot of things on the menu, but the grits are kinda my thing,” he said. “We’re going to take our time and cook them slow.”

Collier prepares his grits the same way his grandmother did, which is with a hambone stock. “When I went to culinary school, I wanted to pay homage and show love to my granny.”

[Related: ‘We just won the Super Bowl’: A Charlotte chef series is going national]

Also, the Two if by Land reminds Collier of his early days, eating Krystals Scramblers every morning while working his first job in the kitchen. This dish is his version of the Scrambler. “The Two if By Land speaks to my epiphanies about food, me figuring out that this is what I wanted to do.”

The dish, along with the Mojo Hash — coffee-braised steak, diced sweet potatoes, roasted mushrooms with an over-easy egg and scallion pesto — even got shoutouts on the Food Network’s show, All American Eats.

Breakfast will be served from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m., with lunch from 11:30-3 p.m.

Evenings will be a little different: each month or two, a new guest chef will be featured as part of a chef residency program. The first month will showcase food from 225 Street Food. “I wanted to give some other people an opportunity,” Collier said. “We’ve had a lot of press this year and a lot of fanfare. While I’m on stage, I might as well share with people who could use the stage.”

Leaving Rock Hill
The_Yolk_by_Alex_Cason-8262.jpg

The Yolk’s Greg and Subrina Collier
Rock Hillians know The Yolk well, as it had been a popular breakfast spot since 2012. It was successful, yet Collier and his wife and co-owner, Subrina, found themselves working seven days a week. “Then Toast came, a lot of different places came — the market share got smaller,” Greg Collier said.

Its closing on Mount Gallant Road in September was originally supposed to be temporary, with the couple hoping to find the right person to take it over. That hasn’t happened, so for now it is permanently closed, he said. Greg Collier has been serving as executive chef at Loft & Cellar.

[Related: Rock Hill breakfast hotspot The Yolk is coming to Uptown — and we’re already craving the waffles and benedicts]

It was a tough decision to leave Rock Hill, the community that supported them for 6 years, Subrina Collier said. “Greg and I are transplants — we are from Tennessee; we were in Arizona for 5 years,” she said. “We were just kids [when we arrived] — Greg was 30 and I was 26. We just had a dream and people were very supportive.”

The restaurant’s move to Charlotte made sense for the restauranteurs, who live in Steele Creek and are trying to grow their family. “Being in 7th Street Market is going to work out well for us,” Greg Collier said. “People are really excited.”

The_Yolk_by_Alex_Cason-8241.jpg

Thanks Breh! Will check this out.

Daps
No mile-long tunnel under uptown: CATS recommends a different route for light rail

No mile-long tunnel under uptown: CATS recommends a different route for light rail
By Ely Portillo

January 23, 2019 08:09 PM,

Updated January 23, 2019 08:09 PM

The Charlotte Area Transit System is recommending that a new east-west light-rail line run along uptown’s northern edge rather than tunnel under the city’s center, as the system gears up for its next round of an ambitious expansion plan.

Other key recommendations from CATS staff on Wednesday included creating a new bus rapid transit line instead of passenger rail to Mooresville, at least for now; studying how to extend the Blue Line to Ballantyne and Pineville; and building light rail west along Wilkinson Boulevard, past Charlotte Douglas International Airport and across the Catawba River to Belmont.

The plan and staff recommendations will set the stage for a massive push to build more transit in the region. Previous estimates for building out the full 2030 transit plan have pegged the total cost at $5 billion to $7 billion.

The CATS Blue Line extension from uptown to UNC Charlotte opened in March 2018, after four years of construction. The 9.3-mile rail line cost more than $1.1 billion, with the federal government paying half the cost and state and local governments splitting the rest. The rail line is drawing 22,720 customers on an average weekday, below the 33,500 passengers CATS projected.

CATS is also building the second phase of the Gold Line streetcar, running from Central Avenue through uptown and west to Johnson C. Smith University. The $150 million project, with the cost split between the federal and state governments, is scheduled to start service in fall 2020.

One big question: How will the system fund this building boom? The voter-approved, half-cent sales tax in Mecklenburg County brought in $103 million last fiscal year for transit. That’s far short of what the ambitious CATS plan would require, and funding a large expansion would likely need an infusion of federal, state or more local tax money.

Years of planning still lie ahead, as CATS identifies locations for stations, exactly where the rails will go, how much it will cost to acquire the right-of-way and what environmental impacts must be considered. The Metropolitan Transit Commission will consider the recommendations and vote on them at a future meeting.

“This is the first phase,” said CATS CEO John Lewis. “The next phase after that is to begin that level of design.”

Here’s what CATS is recommending for each of the region’s key remaining transit corridors:

North
There’s no way to build light rail or commuter rail from uptown to Mooresville along the original Red Line corridor, long planned to run on Norfolk Southern freight lines, officials said. The company has refused to consider passenger service on its rails along the 30-mile corridor.

“Until this changes, delivering commuter rail in the north corridor will be difficult to do,” said CATS planner Jason Lawrence. “There’s no current path forward.”

lynx%20tour_03.jpg

The opening of the Lynx Blue Line Extension on March 16 has boosted CATS ridership. In the first two weeks of the extension, CATS reported the entire rail line averaged 26,000 trips on weekdays. That’s below the projection of about 33,500 trips, but ridership may grow.
Observer file

In the short term, CATS will run express buses on the Interstate 77 toll lanes at rush hour when those open later this year, offering a quicker way for workers to get to and from uptown. Over the next five to 10 years, Lawrence said, that service would be expanded to true bus rapid transit, with more frequent service, including nights and weekends, four additional park-and-ride lots, more stations (including some just off exit ramps) and new direct connections to the toll lanes from those stations.

“Right now, we’re in a gray area,” said Lawrence. More detailed planning is needed to advance the project and estimate a total cost for bus rapid transit, as well as seek federal funds.

In the long term, CATS still hopes to build a passenger rail line north to Mooresville.

East and west
The Silver Line has been planned to run largely along Independence Boulevard to Matthews, and that recommendation remains in place. To the west, CATS is seeking to build out the light rail along Wilkinson Boulevard. Routes along Alleghany and Tuckaseegee roads were discarded, as was the option of using a streetcar instead of light rail for the west.

The airport could connect to the new light rail line with a people-mover conveyance. The light rail would then run across the Catawba River, where the N.C. Department of Transportation is planning to replace a bridge that dates to 1935. That gives CATS a chance to include light rail in the project.

“It’s being replaced, so we get a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity,” said Lawrence. The 10 miles from Belmont to uptown would be similar to the length of the first two Blue Line segments. Eventually, CATS would extend the light rail another 10 miles to downtown Gastonia.

Randi Gates, a transportation planner for Gastonia, said such a plan could be a big help for the tens of thousands of residents who commute to Mecklenburg.

“We need mobility options,” she said. “We can only add so many lanes to existing highways, I-85 or US 74.”

Uptown
CATS2.JPG

CATS could build a tunnel (the light blue line) through uptown.
Uptown is the densest part of the city, and an east-west line needs a way through.

“We started with a spaghetti of lines,” said Lawrence. “Time is of the essence. We have to start advancing this line.”

CATS staff looked at several options, including a mile-long tunnel that would run mostly along Trade Street. But that plan came with high costs — some estimates put it at $1 billion, and the required depth and methods of tunneling aren’t known yet — and staff ultimately decided that was too risky.

“There were concerns about advancing a tunnel option,” said Lawrence.

Instead, staff recommended a route that would run mostly along uptown’s north and west. The Silver Line would cross from Independence Boulevard over to 11th Street, run parallel to I-277 to North Graham Street, then turn south to link to the planned Charlotte Gateway Station (where Amtrak trains would operate) and west to continue along Wilkinson Boulevard.

Lewis said that while planning efforts will advance, there are still questions to be answered before more trains are running in Charlotte.

“We need to have that conversation of how do we pay for that,” he said.

Daps
I doubt that the Blue Line will get extended to Ballantyne and Pineville, the amount of ruckus them folks caused is the reason why the line ends at 485.

They saw the growth that was happening to South End and NoDa because of the light rail and now they've decided that they want it :mjpls: