Essential The Official Boxing Random Thoughts Thread...All boxing heads ENTER.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
PBC been delivering with the cards, ESPN needs to get back in the picture.
Looks like PBC abandoned ESPN and is strictly with NBC Sports and FS1 on cable.
Spike refused to continue working with them, said they are investing more into Bellator that they own, and looks like its just PBC on NBC and Fox and their respective cable networks.

The axe murderer

For I am death and I ride on a pale horse
Daps
Sergey and Jacobs both got the same trainer, Rozier. Rozier got too many good 160lbers at one time, lol, although I guess one is getting eliminated from the picture with Khurtsidze getting locked up.
That's a good point. Rozier's stable is hella packed. Sergiy probably might face Lemieux. That would be a good one

aceboon

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Looks like PBC abandoned ESPN and is strictly with NBC Sports and FS1 on cable.
Spike refused to continue working with them, said they are investing more into Bellator that they own, and looks like its just PBC on NBC and Fox and their respective cable networks.
ESPN abandoned them in favor of Golden Boy and now Top Rank, NBC Sports dropped out awhile ago. All they got right now is Fox/FS1 and Showtime/CBS, as many fighters as Al got they could be putting on more of these Sun-Fri cards if they had another broadcast partner. PBC's roster is way better than Golden Boys, GB been putting on shyt cards on ESPN and got washed up Gabe Rosado heading next month.

GREENandYELLOW

2x...and defending
Daps
Dan Rafael chat wrap 8/25:

Floyd Mayweather vs. Conor McGregor:
- For such a massive mismatch, the hype around the event is pretty incredible.
- Mayweather easy work. KO7.
- Undercard will be good. Likes Jack to beat Cleverly, Davis over Fonseca by KO, and Cunningham may have enough to show Tabiti a lesson. Not sure on Borrego-Heraldez, but will pick Borrego and Ugas over Dulorme.
- A Cunningham loss signals the end of him being in meaningful fights.
- Surprised Showtime is willing to leave Paulie on the broadcast. He is off the rails.
- Does not feel like Ireland has taken over Vegas.
- Ticket prices are down from face value. Ticket re-sellers are getting slaughtered.
- The special WBC belt has no fees with the sanctioning body. The WBC designed and had the belt made and TMT is paying for it.
- No asterisk. If Floyd wins he is 50-0.
- Will Conor win a round? He won't win a minute.
- Does Conor land a single meaningful punch? No.
- Conor by KO would be the biggest upset ever.
- Doesn't disagree that Mayweather fought his best fighters outside of their primes. He did fight everyone, but not always at their best.
- Is Conor the biggest fighter Mayweather has ever fought? No. Canelo was huge on fight night.
- Could it eclipse 5 million PPV buys? Possibly.
- Over/under 3.75 million buys? Over.
- Surprised at how many people think McGregor has a punchers chance.
- Does not think McGregor gives Floyd any problems early on.
- Byrd is an excellent referee. He doesn't over officiate and he doesn't take any nonsense.
- What weight does he think Floyd walks around at? In the 150's. He basically is always on weight.
- How good can Gervonta Davis be? Very, very good.
- It is true that if Conor wins the Vegas sports books will take massive losses.
- Will the MGM sell out of beer? No. The crowd is not remotely like Floyd-Hatton.

The rest of boxing:
- There is no Showtime Staples Center card on Oct. 7th. Likely a 154 lb card on Oct. 14.
- Rey Vargas vs. Ronny Rios? Good fight, likes Vargas.
- Winner of Derevyanchenko and Johnson is the IBF mandatory at 160.
- Cotto vs. Kamegai? Cotto by late KO.
- Cotto's best performance was probably vs. Mosley, but his best fight was probably Judah or Margarito 2.
- Mike Alvarado looked totally shot, but got a sick KO. Likely will face and up and comer to see where that guy is. Could see a fight vs. Jose Ramirez.
- Crawford will likely vacate his belts and move up to WW.
- Crawford vs. Spence is one of the best fights to be made, but it does need to build some momentum.
- The atmosphere at the Crawford fight was superb.
- How did Crawford's body shot sound in person (RJJ vs. Hill sounded like a gunshot)? No sound. Just a good punch.
- Sergio Martinez KO'ing Paul Williams sounded like a gunshot.
- Teddy Atlas vs. Andre Ward: who does he side with on the amateurs need to build themselves over time vs. jump right in? Ward.
- The deal for Loma vs. Rigo is still being worked on. Expects it to be done soon. 99% this fight gets done.
- Believes that Lomachenko will beat Rigo because the size will matter and the fact that Loma is more active.
- Will be an announcement tomorrow for the ESPN-TR long term deal. All TR fights are exclusive to ESPN. A PPV model as well as a streaming service could be announced.
- Pacquiao vs. Horn 2 is being worked on. Will be Nov. 11 on ESPN.
- Will Canelo vs. GGG sell over 1 million PPV buys? Yes.
- Fighter he would most like to have a beer with? Jack Johnson.
- No truth to the rumors that Pulev is trying to duck Joshua. Pulev is down for that fight.
- Danny Garcia vs. Shawn Porter will be ordered by the WBC. Hopes it takes place by the end of the year.
- Better career Broner or Hamed? Hamed and it isn't close or up for debate.
- It is sad to see a fighter as talented as Andrade not being active.
- Ward says he wants to fight again this year.
- Agrees with the IBF's decision to not have a second day weigh-in for unification fights. Thinks they should get rid of it altogether.

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Now that Pacquiao is effectively finished as an elite fighter, is it fair to say that Freddie Roach is finished as a top trainer?
Does Roach have any other talent in his gym?

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
- A Cunningham loss signals the end of him being in meaningful fights.
which is why the fight with tabiti doesn't make me too happy

- Surprised Showtime is willing to leave Paulie on the broadcast. He is off the rails.
the fukkery will be off the meter for sure

- How good can Gervonta Davis be? Very, very good.
he's just not disciplined..losing belts on the scales :scust:

- It is true that if Conor wins the Vegas sports books will take massive losses.
there will be some fixed shyt going on for a little but if this happens lol

- There is no Showtime Staples Center card on Oct. 7th. Likely a 154 lb card on Oct. 14.
hopefully ill be in the house for it

- Rey Vargas vs. Ronny Rios? Good fight, likes Vargas.
sleeper pick for fight of the night

- Cotto vs. Kamegai? Cotto by late KO.
hoping kamegai sends him into retirement...he started ghost's slide...i believe he can run up some mileage on cotto as well

- Cotto's best performance was probably vs. Mosley, but his best fight was probably Judah or Margarito 2.
mosley was a good fight and i wasnt impressed by the margarito rematch..the judah fight thought was absolutely vicious..judah got beat like he stole something...honorable mention the fight with paulie he busted him up in similar fashion

- Mike Alvarado looked totally shot, but got a sick KO. Likely will face and up and comer to see where that guy is. Could see a fight vs. Jose Ramirez.
delaying the inevitable smh

- Danny Garcia vs. Shawn Porter will be ordered by the WBC. Hopes it takes place by the end of the year.
an intriguing battle of struggle ability :ehh:

- Better career Broner or Hamed? Hamed and it isn't close or up for debate.
of course...hamed actually ruled his division for a good period of time

- It is sad to see a fighter as talented as Andrade not being active.
agreed..its a shame watching dude fighting local cards around RI to floundering with no rhyme or reason...hes prolly one of the few fighters that should sign with haymon lol

- Agrees with the IBF's decision to not have a second day weigh-in for unification fights. Thinks they should get rid of it altogether.
on the contrary i think all sanctioning bodies should adopt it

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
Now that Pacquiao is effectively finished as an elite fighter, is it fair to say that Freddie Roach is finished as a top trainer?
Does Roach have any other talent in his gym?

there's always talent at wild card...i was there last december when i was in town to see charlo-j-rock..plenty of guys on both floors

theflyest

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm watching this interview with Floyd Sr talking about he doesn't even know if he's working Floyd's corner today and really didn't have any involvement with camp, which brings me to this question. What are examples of fighters training themselves for a fight? Let's exclude Floyd, as he's training himself for this fight as well as the Baldomir fight.

malbaker86

Gators
Daps
Reppin
Jacksonville, FL
I'm watching this interview with Floyd Sr talking about he doesn't even know if he's working Floyd's corner today and really didn't have any involvement with camp, which brings me to this question. What are examples of fighters training themselves for a fight? Let's exclude Floyd, as he's training himself for this fight as well as the Baldomir fight.

@patscorpio

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Bruh,
Tyson basically trained himself for the final 10 years of his career. (and it showed)

:skip:

King P

Legends Never Die
Daps
Reppin
Views From The X
Only guy off the top of my head I can think of is Beibut Shumenov. For a while he was training himself. In between rounds in his corner, he would just be sitting on a stool breathing heavily with nobody talking to him. I personally found it strange, but if it works for him then :ohwelp: