Essential The Official Boxing Random Thoughts Thread...All boxing heads ENTER.

Newzz

"The Truth" always prevails
Supporter
Daps
its too early to me for PBC to create a star....

Deontay Wilder should be a Superstar right now imo. They've BADLY dropped the ball with his push.

however the stars that were created before on HBO/GB should have risen in stature some more but have pretty much regressed or stagnated in some way..the one who i think did neither, porter, does not have a fighting style that most ppl like to watch..work in progress but better matchmaking would help im sure in breaking the stalemate

yep

Newzz

Supporter
Daps

TheBeigeBomber

#Fukkery
Daps
8 years...not 12.

He was a young 17 in 2004 Olympics, and he was robbed in 2008 & 2012. Besides that, Rau'Shee Warren was a great amateur fighter and should've gotten a better/bigger push then he was getting:manny:

hes not gonna be shyt as a pro. he has that trash amateur style ingrained into him.

Newzz

Supporter
Daps
hes not gonna be shyt as a pro. he has that trash amateur style ingrained into him.

He may not:yeshrug:

But he apart of the hometeam, so Im gonna show my support for him:manny:

And as to why he didnt turn pro?

Following his disappointment in China, his stock was down. He didn't like the offers and the attitudes he faced while pondering a pro step, so he decided to take one more run at a medal in London.

"It was very tempting," he said. "There was a lot of pressure and a lot of people pushing me to go, saying how fast I could become a world champion. At the end, it came down to me, it was my decision.

"They were trying to get me to buy into it and trying to get me to sign because they felt it was my last chance, that I've got to go professional. That's what made me turn a different way."

Warren instead decided to compete in the World Series of Boxing, a hybrid organization created two years ago that serves as a bridge between amateur and professional boxing and allows fighters to earn money from their bouts while maintaining Olympic eligibility. Between those fights and the stipend he receives from USA Boxing, Warren, who said he grew up poor in some rough neighborhoods in Cincinnati, had more than enough to chase his gold and support a family that now includes two young children.

"It's pretty good. It was enough for me," Warren said. "I don't complain. It's a good deal."

11148539-small.jpg
Roadell Hickman/The Plain DealerRau'shee Warren, left, is the first three-time Olympic boxer in U.S. history.

Warren believes others fighters who should have retained their amateur status jumped at the chance to turn pro because they were scared to miss their opportunity. He believes his best chance is turn pro with a gold medal, and his World Series of Boxing fights have made him a better fighter than a pro career would have.

"We're fighting the top athletes, we're not just fighting bums," Warren said. "In the pros at the beginning, you're fighting bums."

Cincinnati boxer Rau'shee Warren hopes third time is the Olympic charm

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
This makes 0 sense.

• Sign an elite US amateur who was a 3x Olympian...the only 3x Olympian in US Men's Boxing history
  • Have him fight in obscurity for 3 years
  • Have him fight below average competition 13 fights in a row (best fighter he's ever faced was ranked #151 in the world with a 21-10-1 record coming into the fight...which was Warren's last fight)
  • Throw him in with the undefeated #3 RING ranked Bantamweight in the VERY next fight
  • Have the fight held in the Tough Enough Practice Facility....literallly, he's fighting where Tough Enough is taped
  • Have the fight in the state of Florida, even though Rau'Shee Warren has a decent following in his homestate of Ohio...specifically Cincinnati
  • Put the fight on a Sunday night
  • Put the fight on Bounce TV, a channel Im sure 90% of America has never heard of before
  • Say nothing about the upcoming fight or Rau'Shee Warren on your own website (www.premierboxingchampions.com) even though he's with Haymon.

:snoop:

This fight has NO buzz and actually should've been on the undercard of Danny Garcia vs Paulie Malignaggi or at LEAST throw it to Showtime. Bounce TV?:comeon:

This is exactly why, outside of the pay they receive, I think PBC is horrible when it comes to marketing/promoting/building hype for it's young talent....this is just further proof for me:manny:

You have an undefeated, 3x Olympian fighting for a Championship, and THIS is the type of promotion/marketing/hype he receives?:usure:

Someone asked before why Beterbiev doesnt receive the same hype as GGG. Well, this is why. They dont know HOW to build stars. Mayweather was already a star and AB/Swift/Thurman already had the HBO/GB marketing push. No one has become a "star" under the PBC banner, because they dont know how to build them apparently:yeshrug:
I don't even have Bounce anymore since I left Comcast for Verizon.

And Warren should have def been on the Swift/Paulie undercard or barring that been scheduled to fight in his hometown. Shipping him off to fight in Florida with no hype at all is questionable.

Honestly Allah Haymon could win all of these lawsuits accusing him of being a stealth promoter by just pointing to how terrible PBC is at promoting fighters/fight cards.

Newzz

Supporter
Daps
#ThrowBackThursday...Boxing Edition:

Sunday, January 27, 2002
Williams Jr. fights in the name of his hometown, and its people

By John Erardi
The Cincinnati Enquirer

williams_zoom.jpg

(left to right) Boxers Brandon Bennett, 14 of Price Hill, Olympic silver medalist Ricardo Williams Jr., Adrien Broner, 12 of South Fairmount and Anthony Walker, 15 of Avondale. (Jeff Swinger photo)| ZOOM |

So intent is Ricardo Williams Jr. on fighting at home, he is taking part of his compensation in tickets for his Feb. 24 nationally televised main event.

His opponent is Anthony Washington (15-0-1) of Philadelphia.

Wednesday, it appeared the fight would not be held locally — “It fell through; we're fighting in Akron,” said a voice mail from Ric Williams Sr., Ric Jr.'s co-manager — but then a deal with Cincinnati Gardens was announced Friday.

“It's a tribute to how much Ric wants to fight there,” said Lou DiBella, Williams Jr.'s matchmaker.

DiBella said Williams Jr., 20, the Olympic silver medalist, remains on track for a matchup with gold medalist Mohamad Abdullaev, who beat Williams Jr. at the Summer Games in Sydney. It could happen later this year or early next year.

DiBella wouldn't provide financial details about the Feb. 24 card, except that because it's a Sunday afternoon fight card on ESPN, there is “not a high budget” for the show. So the only way it could happen locally was for Williams Jr. to get creative. The arena rental was less expensive elsewhere.

Williams Jr. took a portion of his guaranteed purse in tickets.

“That helped make it possible,” DiBella said. “It's the right place to fight. Brian Viloria, an Olympic teammate of Ric's, will be on the TV portion of the card. We're also going to have several local kids on the card.”

Among them could be local Robert Dula (vs. world-ranked Travis Simms), Cornell Shinholster and Ravae Springs, who is fighting for a title Feb. 6 in St. Louis. Matches still are being arranged. The show's promoters are shooting for a Tuesday press conference in Cincinnati to provide more details.

The scheduled 10-round bout will be Williams Jr.'s third local show as a pro. Williams (6-0, 5 knockouts) is the main event.

His last bout wasn't televised — a knockout of Canadian Mark Adams in San Antonio — but afterward, Williams Jr. made sure the crowd knew where he was from. He donned a red-and-black Reds cap and waved it around. The Reds, who for financial reasons have spent an offseason nixing trades and acquisitions that would have helped the team, can use all the positive exposure a favorite son can give them.

Williams Jr. continues to make a big impact in the Mount Auburn gym, where he trains under his father, Billy Joiner and Mike Stafford, who is heading a local contingent of young boxers who will fight for national Silver Glove titles next week in Lenexas, Kan.

Among them: Brandon Bennett, 14, of Price Hill, who is ranked No. 3 nationally in the senior division at 106; Adrien Broner, 12, of South Fairmount, who is No. 1 as an intermediate (75 pounds); and Anthony Walker, 15, of Avondale, No. 2 in the senior division (119 pounds). Each had his take on the impact of Williams Jr.:

Bennett: “I'd like to be like him someday. He's a nice person and a good fighter. He's slick. And he's a southpaw like me. I got in the ring with him once. I tried to hit him. He had his hands down, but I couldn't hit him. He kept ducking me. That shows how quick he is.”

Walker: “He's Slick Rick. Everybody in Cincinnati likes him. He's representing (us). I went to his fight at Cintas Center. He looked good, and he's always in shape. I see that, and I say, "I'm going to stay in the gym. I'm going to do my running.' I try to copy his footwork. He studies his opponent, gets them down pat and then goes in after them.”

Broner: “He's real fast. He takes good care of us. He likes to play with us. I want to be a pro someday like he is.”

Also going to the nationals are Cincinnati boxers Keontey Leatherwood, 13, and Brandon Keith, 14. One of the top members of the local contingent is Rau'Shee Warren, 15, of Colerain Township, who has won four national Silver Glove titles.

“A fifth would tie him with Ric Jr.,” Stafford said. “That's high-class company, and all the kids know it.”

Williams Jr. said he remembers what it was like to have an idol working in the same gym.

“I idolized Ravae Springs — still do,” Williams Jr. said.

He said he will attend Springs' title bout.

“It feels great to be fighting at home,” Williams Jr. said. “People are always asking me, "When's the next time you're going to fight at home?' I usually have to say, "I don't know.' But now I can say: "At the Gardens, Feb. 24.' That's a good feeling.”

Ricardo Williams should've left the streets alone....everybody loved him:mjcry:

Young AB, Brandon Bennett, & Rau'Shee Warren putting in work as a 6th grader, 9th grader, and 10th grader:banderas:

Last edited:

Axum Ezana

Driving in the fast lane
Daps
its too early to me for PBC to create a star....however the stars that were created before on HBO/GB should have risen in stature some more but have pretty much regressed or stagnated in some way..the one who i think did neither, porter, does not have a fighting style that most ppl like to watch..work in progress but better matchmaking would help im sure in breaking the stalemate

so u would agree to a pbc tourney to fight may?

Newzz

Supporter
Daps
so u would agree to a pbc tourney to fight may?

They could, but I doubt we could get the 8 top Welterweights from PBC (Khan, Thurman, Porter, Maidana, Alexander, Garcia, Spence Jr., Guerrero) to compete in it.

Daps
#ThrowBackThursday...Boxing Edition:

Sunday, January 27, 2002

By John Erardi
The Cincinnati Enquirer

williams_zoom.jpg

(left to right) Boxers Brandon Bennett, 14 of Price Hill, Olympic silver medalist Ricardo Williams Jr., Adrien Broner, 12 of South Fairmount and Anthony Walker, 15 of Avondale. (Jeff Swinger photo)| ZOOM |

So intent is Ricardo Williams Jr. on fighting at home, he is taking part of his compensation in tickets for his Feb. 24 nationally televised main event.

His opponent is Anthony Washington (15-0-1) of Philadelphia.

Wednesday, it appeared the fight would not be held locally — “It fell through; we're fighting in Akron,” said a voice mail from Ric Williams Sr., Ric Jr.'s co-manager — but then a deal with Cincinnati Gardens was announced Friday.

“It's a tribute to how much Ric wants to fight there,” said Lou DiBella, Williams Jr.'s matchmaker.

DiBella said Williams Jr., 20, the Olympic silver medalist, remains on track for a matchup with gold medalist Mohamad Abdullaev, who beat Williams Jr. at the Summer Games in Sydney. It could happen later this year or early next year.

DiBella wouldn't provide financial details about the Feb. 24 card, except that because it's a Sunday afternoon fight card on ESPN, there is “not a high budget” for the show. So the only way it could happen locally was for Williams Jr. to get creative. The arena rental was less expensive elsewhere.

Williams Jr. took a portion of his guaranteed purse in tickets.

“That helped make it possible,” DiBella said. “It's the right place to fight. Brian Viloria, an Olympic teammate of Ric's, will be on the TV portion of the card. We're also going to have several local kids on the card.”

Among them could be local Robert Dula (vs. world-ranked Travis Simms), Cornell Shinholster and Ravae Springs, who is fighting for a title Feb. 6 in St. Louis. Matches still are being arranged. The show's promoters are shooting for a Tuesday press conference in Cincinnati to provide more details.

The scheduled 10-round bout will be Williams Jr.'s third local show as a pro. Williams (6-0, 5 knockouts) is the main event.

His last bout wasn't televised — a knockout of Canadian Mark Adams in San Antonio — but afterward, Williams Jr. made sure the crowd knew where he was from. He donned a red-and-black Reds cap and waved it around. The Reds, who for financial reasons have spent an offseason nixing trades and acquisitions that would have helped the team, can use all the positive exposure a favorite son can give them.

Williams Jr. continues to make a big impact in the Mount Auburn gym, where he trains under his father, Billy Joiner and Mike Stafford, who is heading a local contingent of young boxers who will fight for national Silver Glove titles next week in Lenexas, Kan.

Among them: Brandon Bennett, 14, of Price Hill, who is ranked No. 3 nationally in the senior division at 106; Adrien Broner, 12, of South Fairmount, who is No. 1 as an intermediate (75 pounds); and Anthony Walker, 15, of Avondale, No. 2 in the senior division (119 pounds). Each had his take on the impact of Williams Jr.:

Bennett: “I'd like to be like him someday. He's a nice person and a good fighter. He's slick. And he's a southpaw like me. I got in the ring with him once. I tried to hit him. He had his hands down, but I couldn't hit him. He kept ducking me. That shows how quick he is.”

Walker: “He's Slick Rick. Everybody in Cincinnati likes him. He's representing (us). I went to his fight at Cintas Center. He looked good, and he's always in shape. I see that, and I say, "I'm going to stay in the gym. I'm going to do my running.' I try to copy his footwork. He studies his opponent, gets them down pat and then goes in after them.”

Broner: “He's real fast. He takes good care of us. He likes to play with us. I want to be a pro someday like he is.”

Also going to the nationals are Cincinnati boxers Keontey Leatherwood, 13, and Brandon Keith, 14. One of the top members of the local contingent is Rau'Shee Warren, 15, of Colerain Township, who has won four national Silver Glove titles.

“A fifth would tie him with Ric Jr.,” Stafford said. “That's high-class company, and all the kids know it.”

Williams Jr. said he remembers what it was like to have an idol working in the same gym.

“I idolized Ravae Springs — still do,” Williams Jr. said.

He said he will attend Springs' title bout.

“It feels great to be fighting at home,” Williams Jr. said. “People are always asking me, "When's the next time you're going to fight at home?' I usually have to say, "I don't know.' But now I can say: "At the Gardens, Feb. 24.' That's a good feeling.”

Ricardo Williams should've left the streets alone....everybody loved him:mjcry:

Young AB, Brandon Bennett, & Rau'Shee Warren putting in work as a 6th grader, 9th grader, and 10th grader:banderas:

Ricardo Williams is one of the best people I have ever seen spar

Daps
That was my boy and I thought he was going to take it to the top:to:

Why he went back to the streets? I dont know:mjcry:
He still has a chance, not to go to the top, but to get a title. His problem is he isn't good at weight cutting