Essential The Official Boxing Random Thoughts Thread...All boxing heads ENTER.

krackdagawd

Inspire.
Daps
Reppin
Another Gold Medal
giphy.gif

keep sleeping on degale

Dirrell and all of America give the UK another L :umad:

Daniel-Bryan-Yes-Chant-Cage-Match-Wyatt-Bros.gif

Get back for that Froch fukkery :999:

Big Boss

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Keith Thurman to headline ESPN's debut of Premier Boxing Champions
17m - Boxing
  • i

Dan Rafael, ESPN Senior Writer
Welterweight titleholder Keith Thurman, one of boxing's rising stars, was picked to headline the first-ever Premier Boxing Champions card on NBC in prime time last March because of his enormous potential both in terms of boxing talent and marketability. For those same reasons, Thurman was picked to headline the debut of the PBC on ESPN.

Thurman will make his second title defense when he takes on former titlist Luis Collazo on July 11 (ESPN, 9 p.m. ET with preliminary bout to stream live on ESPN3.com) at a venue to be determined in Tampa, about 20 minutes from Thurman's hometown of Clearwater, Florida, the network said on Thursday.

i

Keith Thurman beat Robert Guerrero in March, and now the welterweight titleholder will make his next defense on ESPN. Harry How/Getty Images
Thurman said it was an honor for him to be tabbed as the featured fighter for the inaugural PBC cards on NBC and now ESPN.

"I am very happy to be where I am in my career," Thurman told ESPN.com. "Boxing is opening back up to the people and it's been a dream of mine to be a true champion, and there's no better form of that than being the people's champion. (The PBC) is opening up doors that will give the world class fighters the exposure that they need. I want to be the American people's champion. There is nothing better than getting the exposure, giving the fans great fights and being cheered by the public."

Thurman (25-0, 21 KOs), 26, one of boxing's biggest hitters and crowd-pleasing fighters, made his first title defense on March 7 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, dropping former two-division titleholder Robert Guerrero, a southpaw, in the ninth round and winning a one-sided decision in a hard-hitting fight.

Thurman will be fighting his first significant bout in his home region and is pumped for it. He has not fought there since an eight-rounder in Tampa in 2009.

"This is the first time coming home with something major, so I am extremely excited about it," Thurman said. "It's a dream come true."

Thurman, who grew up around area fighters Winky Wright, the former undisputed junior middleweight champion, and former super middleweight titlist Jeff Lacy -- they all shared trainer Dan Birmingham -- said he remembers how excited the area was when major fights took place there.

"I remember when Winky and Jeff fought here in Tampa, how electric the city was," Thurman said. "Tampa is a great boxing town but we only make fights happen when champions are in town. I'm happy to fight a big fight at home and happy to make one of my dreams come true."

Collazo (36-6, 19 KOs), a 34-year-old southpaw from New York, held a welterweight title in 2005 and 2006 before losing it by controversial decision to Ricky Hatton. In January 2014, Collazo knocked out former titleholder Victor Ortiz in the second round in a mild upset but four months later he lost a one-sided decision to former unified junior welterweight titlist Amir Khan on the Floyd Mayweather-Marcos Maidana I undercard.

After 11 months off, Collazo, who had contemplated retirement, returned on April 11 to score a second-round knockout of club fighter Christopher Degollado.

"Collazo always comes to fight," Thurman said. "He has been in with some of the best fighters in the world and he has tons of experience. Fighting another southpaw, we'll be prepared. I'm looking forward to it and I'm looking forward to giving the fans what they love to see -- action. July 11 is going to be a night full of action. Might as well call the fight 'Fireworks,' since it's in July."

The scheduled 10-round co-feature will be a pair of junior middleweights who have had multiple bouts on ESPN2's Friday Night Fights - rising prospect Tony Harrison and contender Willie Nelson.

Harrison (21-0, 18 KOs), 24, of Detroit, was a protégée of the late Hall of Fame trainer and Detroit legend Emanuel Steward. He has knocked out 10 opponents in a row, including Antwone Smith in the second round in March and Pablo Munguia in the third round in April, both on FNF. But he is taking a major step up in competition against Nelson (23-2-1, 13 KOs), 28, of Cleveland.

Nelson was on the verge of a title shot when he saw his seven-fight winning streak come to an end in October when he lost a competitive 10-round bout to fellow contender Vanes Martirosyan.

The card will be the first of 24 monthly PBC cards on ESPN shows through July 2017, with PBC holding an option for six more shows that could extend the deal through the end of 2017. PBC on ESPN will replace Friday Night Fights, which will end its 17-year run with the Boxcino tournament finals this week.

:mjlol:

Axum Ezana

Driving in the fast lane
Daps
Ramirez opponent named: Derek Edwards

Photos: Ruben Cortez/Top Rank

Unbeaten WBC #2, WBO #2, IBF #3 super middleweight contender Gilberto ‘Zurdo’ Ramirez (31-0, 24 KOs) of Mexico announced at a press conference today that he will take on Derek Edwards (27-4-1, 14 KOs) of Las Vegas on June 26 at State Farm Arena, Hidalgo, Texas. The ten rounder will be televised live on truTV.

“I see Edwards as a very tough, experienced boxer. He has quality wins and is a very dangerous opponent. He is the type of opposition I need to get my world title opportunity.

“I started training in my hometown of Mazatlan, Mexico. I am now training in Los Angeles to finish my camp and get the sparring I need. I’ve been going to Oxnard to spar at Robert Garcia’s Gym.

“This will be my third fight in Texas. The fans, and there are a lot of Mexican fans in Texas, have been great and really support me.
“I will give it my all in the ring June 26. Fans should expect a great, explosive fight. This is a great opportunity for me on truTV, an important network.”

last time i seen Ramirez i wasnt impressed.

ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA

Return of the Khryst
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA
he may fight cotto again don't forget cotto really did Floyd a favor by not taking the canelo fight on may 2nd

A favour? Cotto and canelo fight would never have been given support if that was the plan..all eyes and business was on maypac. De la hola was talking shyt.

Axum Ezana

Driving in the fast lane
Daps
*side note*

Willie Nelson Jr gonna take Tony Harrison's 0:mjpls:

#OhioPlayers

:banderas:

yeah he might. i scored his fight with Vanes Martirosyan a draw. dude is a better boxer but leaves his self open to get hit. also he dont use his height n reach to his advantage with jab. hes quick with combinations though and his punches have pop on them.

Unless Showtime beats AB:sas2:

wouldnt shawn have to beat kell first though ? brook has a good chance to be the next floyd fight.......i think thurman could be the 50th but they gotta build him with wins over, marcos, khan, bradley and probably pac man. floyd 50th is gonna be pac or someone who beatem to build the ''tbe hype''/money for 50-0.

if ab had beat marcos(which was close to me) n porter had beat brook, this fight would probably be an eliminator to face mayweather.

mr heyzel

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore Md
I'm going to call out HBO and say they are not trying to market black fighters besides Crawford and Bradley who's on his way out who do they really have to market the African American audience