Essential The Official Boxing Random Thoughts Thread...All boxing heads ENTER.

Amare's Right Hook

Southeast World Champion
Daps
11169829_840980709305676_8728636265425029378_n.jpg

mr. smoke weed

Smoke Album Done......Wait n See #SmokeSquad
Resting in Peace
Daps
Reppin
Chi
Difference if Swift and LM fight this time is LM has employed movement (look against Prov) into his game instead of just plodding.

yoyoyo1

huh?
Daps
I forgot where I saw this, but Haymon is taking over by using one hedge fund he's in with.

And all the other people's money he's spending to own boxing is literally 1% of the 40 billion dollar hedge fund. Crazy how just 1% can rearrange a sport like that. There's the 1% then there's the 1%.

edit: found it, good read

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2015/04/20/In-Depth/Main.aspx

Caldwell framed his case to the fund’s board in Wall Street terms: An undervalued call option, with the high risk but high return. They would put about 1 percent of the $40 billion fund into Haymon’s venture, prepared to lose all of it.

Waddell & Reed would marry its capital to Haymon’s management contracts. Revenue would come from the 15 percent that Haymon’s company received from fighter earnings, typically beginning only after the fighter has begun to earn purses of $100,000 or more.

mr heyzel

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore Md
words from the man that's going to give floyd that 1st loss

Thurman predicts Mayweather victory, but ‘Floyd is vulnerable’

web1_BOX_MGM_Thurman_030715sm_004_3.jpg

Champion Keith Thurman boxes Robert Guerrero into a corner during their WBA welterweight title fight Saturday, March 7, 2015 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena. Thurman won by unanimous decision. (Sam Morris/Las Vegas Review-Journal)

1.gif

Referee Kenny Bayless watches as champion Keith Thurman hits Robert Guerrero with a right during their WBA welterweight title fight Saturday, March 7, 2015 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena. Bayless has been announced as the referee for the fight between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Manny Pacquiao. (Sam Morris/Las Vegas Review-Journal)

Pacquiao winning popularity contest at books

Pacquiao moves his ‘grand arrival’ to Mandalay Bay

Celebrities pick their favorite to win in Mayweather v. Pacquiao

Pacquiao seeks last laugh against Mayweather

Hype for Mayweather-Pacquiao fight gaining traction

Tickets for Mayweather-Pacquiao sell out in less than two minutes

Tickets for Mayweather-Pacquiao weigh-in sell out

Pacquiao’s promoter frustrated by Mayweather’s adviser, MGM

By STEVE CARP
LAS VEGAS REVIEW-JOURNAL
Keith Thurman may lay claim to a share of the world welterweight title. But nobody has anointed him king just yet.

That day may be coming. But for this week, Thurman, the reigning World Boxing Association champ, is relegated to fan status. And like millions of others, he’ll be watching when Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Manny Pacquiao, the current kings of boxing, finally meet in their world welterweight unification title fight Saturday at the MGM Grand Garden.

“I think it’s going to be an interesting fight,” said Thurman, who retained his title March 7 after hammering Robert Guerrero over 12 rounds at the Grand Garden and improving to 25-0 with 21 knockouts. “I believe Floyd is going to win because he hasn’t shown us a reason why he has lost enough to not still be the best pound-for-pound fighter.”

Mayweather is the WBA’s “Super” champion. Thurman, 26, can only hope he can get a shot at a mega-payday with either the 38-year-old Mayweather or the 36-year-old Pacquiao before they leave the sport. Both Mayweather and Pacquiao have said they plan to retire within the next year.

“I would love, love that opportunity,” Thurman said. “If it happens, it happens. But I’m focused on what I do and I’m just going to be at the MGM and enjoy this one.”

While Thurman believes Mayweather will prevail Saturday, he also believes Pacquiao has a very good chance of beating Mayweather if he can do enough things right and convince the judges.

“(Mayweather) is not (Juan Manuel) Marquez. He’s not going to knock Manny out,” Thurman said. “Floyd hasn’t knocked anyone out in a really long time. He’s had problems with his hands over the years and he’s older now. I think he’s trying to preserve his hands to the best of his ability and he throws what I call ‘scoring blows’ — one that’s strong enough to pop the head back and make it clear for the judges to see but not one where you can’t walk through and continue to fight him.

“So Manny has to come prepared to take a few counters, throw those combinations and outwork him. But it would help Manny after he outworks him to step back and not take those counters. If he throws a five-punch combination and he gets hit with a counter, which one of those are the judges going to favor? The right counter by Floyd which looks beautiful every time he throws it? Or Manny’s combinations?”

Thurman believes Pacquiao has an advantage over Mayweather when it comes to quickness.

“I see Manny Pacquiao using his speed,” Thurman said. “We know Mayweather is very crafty. He’s very slippery and he holds. One thing people don’t give him credit for is how he strategically holds and he can break and get back on the outside.

“I’m interested in how Floyd’s going to deal with Manny’s speed and I’m interested in how Manny is going to deal with Floyd’s speed.”

Thurman said Mayweather’s likely to use his right hand to negate Pacquiao’s attack.

“I expect Floyd to pop that right hand right down the pike all night and fire,” he said. “He’s going to use the jab, hit to the solar plexus like Floyd likes to do so he can mix up his power shots. But I expect Floyd to be on his toes, and pop a shot. I don’t expect a lot of combinations out of Floyd but I expect him to move, use a lot of strategic punching and strategic holding and maneuvers to stay out of danger of Manny Pacquiao.”

Thurman said Pacquiao needs to be the volume puncher he has been throughout his career in order to get the upper hand against Mayweather, who is arguably the greatest defensive fighter of his generation and one of the best defensive fighters of all time.

“Manny Pacquiao can throw punches in bunches from some awkward angles and that’s going to benefit him during the fight,” Thurman said. “If Manny wants to win, its going to take a high work rate. Volume, volume, volume. Take the counter, take it.”

Thurman said Pacquiao also needs to take advantage of Mayweather’s being a slow starter.

“Floyd is vulnerable,” Thurman said. “If you watch any of his fights, you’ll see he’s highly vulnerable over the first three rounds and I think that will favor Manny Pacquiao. But Floyd is able to figure out things very quickly. Floyd can normally adjust within three rounds.

“In the Canelo (Alvarez) fight (in September 2013), he was taking risks. Canelo was throwing left hooks that weren’t connecting and if Manny is able to counter himself and land some punches, he can hurt Floyd. Manny has more speed than Canelo, Marcos Maidana or Robert Guerrero. It’s going to be very intriguing.”