Essential The Official Boxing Random Thoughts Thread...All boxing heads ENTER.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
Nah, just announced today that it was moved from PPV to Showtime and the venue was changed from the MGM Grand in Las Vegas to an arena in San Antonio.

knockout kings 2 was in san antonio and it was epic...still the best boxing card this year..hopefully that dec 14th card is more of the same thing or even surpasses it

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
hopkins was a better fighter at 36 than he was at 26 physical apex or not. archie moore was a better fighter in the late stage of his career than he was when he was younger. even if you think hopkins won those fights hopkins going life and death with jermain taylor says everything you need to know about hopkins vs monzon. hopkins struggled with guys who could box him jones, taylor, calzaghe, dawson. he would strugggle with monzon in all of the same ways.

Monzon retired at an age where B-Hop was just starting to get recognition. Its not a fair comparison. Your physical peak and your boxing (or whatever sport) peak are 2 different things. its usually when your IQ catches up with your athleticism. for Hopkins...that was all before he was 35 years old. we just didnt see what he could do because he couldnt get the fights. he lost to Roy.....even though Roy wasnt in his prime...but for years after that nobody barely won any rounds against Roy. A 35 year old Hopkins wouldve killed Taylor. Those fights werent life or death either. Just overly cautious boxing by B-Hop. B-Hop is an anomaly with a unique career. When you say B-Hop and Archie Moore alike were better fighters when they were older....I disagree. They were more successful but not necessarily better. Its like we were saying here about Pretty Boy Floyd is better than the Money Mayweather days. Under the Money moniker he has been more successful though.

yes B-Hop struggled with all the guys you mentioned...but outside of Roy who was P4P best for about 10 years....all the other guys got B-Hop when he was 40 or over. Just because thats the best WE SAW doesnt mean it was the best B-Hop.

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
dunno i think brook can beat alexander tbh

I know Brook HAS the ability to beat Alexander but when they fight do I think he will? No. Alexander beats him more times than not. Alexander is a tough fight for anybody..especially Brook. His team dont want him to get what Khan got from Prescott and have a bump in his career that could be avoided.

Yuzo

No nice guys in boxing
Daps
hopkins was a better fighter later in his career because he changed his style. its not about any recognition. it was the fact that he became a different fighter in the ring. marco antonio barrera was a brawler like hopkins and changed his style and became a better and completely different fighter. its not about age he was a better fighter because he became a boxer not a brawler. when hopkins fought trinidad nobody thought he was going to use the ring. hopkins had his hands up around his head like de la hoya in that fight. he never used a shoulder roll in the ring until a much later stage in his career fighting guys like howard eastman.

monzon had a jab that never stopped and was the best ring general ever in the middleweight division. hopkins has all kinds of problems here trying to win rounds against that monzon jab and trying to follow monzon around the ring and find any real opening. all of the problems he had with taylor would be amplified a thousand times over against monzon

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
hopkins was a better fighter later in his career because he changed his style. its not about any recognition. it was the fact that he became a different fighter in the ring. marco antonio barrera was a brawler like hopkins and changed his style and became a better and completely different fighter. its not about age he was a better fighter because he became a boxer not a brawler. when hopkins fought trinidad nobody thought he was going to use the ring. hopkins had his hands up around his head like de la hoya in that fight. he never used a shoulder roll in the ring until a much later stage in his career fighting guys like howard eastman.

I disagree bruh. I grew up watching Saad Muhammad, Johnny Bumphus, Marvin Hagler...so I witnessed most of Hopkins career. I saw just about all of his fights that were ever televised. Hopkins could always fight like that since he was like 32-33 years old....you just didnt see his full repertoire because it wasnt necessary until the MW tourney. Hopkins always was great...why u think nobody could knock him off? He hated DK but the ONLY way he was ever able to break out was to sign that deal with DK. They even engraved Tito's name on the damn tourney trophy and was late getting it to B-Hop cuz they had to re-engrave the shyt. MAB turned pro at what...15? He always could box....YOU just didnt see it. Same talent level and ability, different style. MAB got beat before he "changed his style". B-Hop was defending the MW title for years before he changed up. Anybody was gonna lose to prime Jones...and everybody did. there is no proof that B-Hop wasnt a better fighter between 30-35 than he was post 39. I contend.....that 39-40 year old you saw lose to Taylor was NOT the best B-Hop. Thats why I say if he wouldve gotten the breaks earlier and not run into Roy....he wouldve been recognized much sooner. The thing about that is...had he, he likely wouldnt be fighting today as he would have achieved everything earlier in his career. He is fighting now for all the times he was fukked in the past....and getting plenty of satisfaction and money from it.

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
that back to back quadruple header on Sho....:whew:

talk about
AhHxzoG.png

:blessed: this was such a great year for boxing, in fact, I didnt think so at first...but dueling promoters/networks may be just what the game needed :blessed:

Yuzo

No nice guys in boxing
Daps
I contend.....that 39-40 year old you saw lose to Taylor was NOT the best B-Hop. Thats why I say if he wouldve gotten the breaks earlier and not run into Roy....he wouldve been recognized much sooner.
all of what you just said is hypothetical and irrelevant because history as it ultimately turned out showed something different from what you are arguing. whats not hypothetical is that if hopkins was shot when he fought taylor then he was always shot because hopkins always looks like that. that fight was not an anomoly for hopkins. those were regular bernard hopkins fights that would have had a regular bernard hopkins outcome except for the fact that he has problems with guys that can box him.