Essential The Official Boxing Random Thoughts Thread...All boxing heads ENTER.

2 Up 2 Down

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I got him 4th too. Wilder beats both him and Usyk. I love Usyk too, but he's not beating Wilder or Fury.
Until they step in the ring: we don't know. People thought Wilder would beat Fury and Fury embarrassed him three times.
AJ has the better resume and has avenged one loss.

Last edited:

reservoirdogs

Superstar
Daps
I got him 4th too. Wilder beats both him and Usyk. I love Usyk too, but he's not beating Wilder or Fury.
Rankings within a division are purely about resume and "what have you done for me lately", not about who'd beat who had they fight. Based on this Wilder has no real case to be ranked ahead Joshua imo. AJ lost to 2 people, avenged one of them, Wilder lost to one person, couldn't avenge it. Based on this you could say Wilder but if we put their wins next to each other it's really a no debate. AJ beat Wlad, Parker, Whyte, Ruiz, Povetkin, Pulev as far as good to great wins go while Wilder only got Ortiz and Stiverne in their first fight.

reservoirdogs

Superstar
Daps
Hearn Ready To Match Benn With Broner, Guerrero - But Not Avanesyan Just Yet
benn-hearn%20(4).jpg

BY BOXINGSCENE STAFF
Published Mon Dec 27, 2021, 12:14 AM EST

Eddie Hearn, promoter for unbeaten welterweight contender Conor Benn, will be hunting for the best possible path to position his fighter for a world title opportunity.

Benn, 25-years-old, made a statement earlier this month when he brutally knocked out former world champion Chris Algieri four rounds.

Hearn is hoping to match his man against former four division champion Adrien Broner in 2022.

If he's unable to secure Broner, then Hearn will look to former champion Robert Guerrero or even Shawn Porter, who recently retired from the sport.

"Conor Benn wants to fight for the world title, right? So, we're in a situation now where we can get a name or we can get a route to get that mandatory position," Hearn told Fight Stars TV.

"So, I love Adrien Broner or if Shawn Porter wants to come out of retirement or Robert Guerrero [to fight Conor Benn]. All these kinds of names."

Rival promoter Frank Warren is ready and willing to offer up EBU champion David Avanesyan as the next opponent for Benn, but Hearn is not ready to enter those dangerous waters just yet.

"I said the other day about David Avanesyan. I'm not against that fight, but it's just not going to fill arenas like those three, and it's a very tough fight [for Benn], which we acknowledge, but it's a great fight, and we don't rule it out," Hearn said.

"The plan for Conor Benn is to get him into position to challenge for a world title, and he's on fire. Everyone is calling out Conor Benn. Why do you think? Because he's the money-man for the division, outside of Crawford, Spence, and these guys. He's on fire."

Not a good look, sends a message that he doesn't trust his guy.
I'd understand Broner because it'd probably still do great numbers but leave the corpse of Robert Guerrero alone and as much as I think Avanesyan is a good fighter I think lately he got a bit over mystified in the UK/European scene because he beat Lejarraga and Kelly. By the eye test, Benn should be at a higher level than either Lejarraga or Kelly, Avanesyan would be an opponent that makes sense.

Probably not happening due to Avanesyan being with Frank Warren though

FukkaPaidEmail

Retired Hoodrat whisperer
Daps
Reppin
The Diaspora
Not a good look, sends a message that he doesn't trust his guy.
I'd understand Broner because it'd probably still do great numbers but leave the corpse of Robert Guerrero alone and as much as I think Avanesyan is a good fighter I think lately he got a bit over mystified in the UK/European scene because he beat Lejarraga and Kelly. By the eye test, Benn should be at a higher level than either Lejarraga or Kelly, Avanesyan would be an opponent that makes sense.

Probably not happening due to Avanesyan being with Frank Warren though
Avanesyan is high risk and almost no real reward right now .

Broner and sadly Guerrero(for some reason ) will probably generate more money