Essential The Official Boxing Random Thoughts Thread...All boxing heads ENTER.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
Arum Eyes Valdez-Navarrete, Stevenson-Berchelt - Winners Fight Each Other
stevenson-arum_1.jpg

BY BOXINGSCENE STAFF
Published Sun Oct 31, 2021, 08:22 PM EDT

Top Rank's CEO Bob Arum has big plans for Shakur Stevenson, who earlier this month became a two-division world champion when he dominated and stopped Jamel Herring to capture the WBO super featherweight title.

At 24-years-old, the Olympic silver medal winner wants the biggest fights possible - specifically a unification with WBC world champion Oscar Valdez.

But Arum, who promotes both world champions, has other ideas. He wants to have a four man tournament so to speak.

He wants to match Valdez in a Mexican war with current WBO featherweight champion, Emanuel Navarrete. And he wants to match Stevenson against former WBC champion Miguel Berchelt.

The winners of the two fights would then collide at a later date, says Arum.

"We can suggest it to the fighters. But ultimately it is the fighters and their management who decide who to fight next. I want Valdez to fight Emanuel Navarrete, and to match Shakur against maybe Berchelt, who Valdez beat in a spectacular fight," Arum told Sky Sports.

"We'd see how Shakur does with Berchelt, then we can match the winners. I think that's the way to go. That's what we will suggest to them. I hope to have Shakur back in the ring in March or April. Same thing with Valdez and Navarrete."

Stevenson has been criticized for some of his past performances, where he simply outboxed his opponents and took few chances.

Arum believes Stevenson has now learned a valuable lesson - that he needs to put on a show in order to become a superstar.

"We always knew, as did everybody, that Shakur was an amazing talent. But it's one thing to be a talent, and another thing to take that talent and become a crowd-pleasing fighter. Shakur now understands that," Arum said.

"It was a great performance against a very skilled guy in Herring. Shakur, unlike his previous performances, didn't come out, win a few rounds, then coast to victory. He came out to beat his opponent decisively. That puts him in a completely different category to before. I see this as the opening act of Shakur Stevenson. We will see greatness in the years ahead."

Daps
No not in the least...it wasn't a big fight like that

I know at the time it wasn't on the level of the others I mentioned hype-wise. I'm viewing the consequences of what would've happened had it gone the other way. Floyd's entire mystique is built on being undefeated. Even a close decision loss kills a lot of the hype for searching to find the man to beat him.

BOXINGGEMS

@MansaRhea On Instagram and Twitter
Daps
Reppin
MIA to ATL
:rudy:

Should be Berchelt v Navarrete

Shakur v Valdez

Berchelt still hasn’t woke up from Valdez slumping him zero reason for Shakur to be fighting him :camby:

No lies detected here … also another angle to this that ppl not discussing:

This is the opportunity for J Prince Management to prove its worth. How do y’all respond and politic with Arum to prevent this? Bc if you can’t do it why should he have signed with you? What are you doing for his career at this point?

BOXINGGEMS

@MansaRhea On Instagram and Twitter
Daps
Reppin
MIA to ATL
Even against Canelo and Crawford :dwillhuh:

Yes even then I would ...

Plant stylistically can give Canelo problems because of his movement. Canelo has average footwork and he's slow footed, Caleb can stick and move all night.

Porter can apply pressure to Bud and get in the inside where Bud has yet to show any significant ability. If Bud can fight on the inside he hasn't shown it. In fact he got dropped on the inside fighting Green Machine.

It's not outlandish that either Canelo or Bud can lose.

Creflo ½ Dollar

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
GA
@BOXINGGEMS

Movers really don’t give Canelo problems tho..I think that’s a misconception..movers are difficult to a point but that go for all boxers. Hard to look impressive with somebody running around the ring..Yea Lara gave him problems but that was long ago and Lara didn’t sit down on not one punch so he deserved to lose. A fighter with a high work rate, solid power and a chin give Canelo the most problems. Canelo has a low work rate and he respects power..GGG most def gave him problems . Kov and Jacobs had him playing it safe also..Even Floyd had Canelo not going for it :lolbron:Movers usually have a low work rate also, so that will give him the edge and he will win rounds just with the harder more flashier punchers if Plant choose to go that route.

And for Crawford Porter I dnt see Porter with any one advantage..Porter can’t crack an egg. It ain’t like Porter be mauling nikkas on the inside he just outwork them or try to. He ain’t hurt a boxer since Devon and Paulie..and you ain’t gne out dog or outbox Crawford…I think Crawford will have the most impressive win against Porter. He will be the hardest and meanest puncher that Porter ever faced.

Just my observation but I’m more looking forward to the Crawford fight tho. The Canelo fight unless plant stands and fight will be more or less a boring Canelo UD.