Essential The Official Boxing Random Thoughts Thread...All boxing heads ENTER.

FreedMind

DOPAMINE FOR MY BABY!!
Daps
Reppin
hella international
Even before the Pandemic they wasn’t doing no numbers. You can’t have the biggest fighter in the world and not make money off his fights. It’s clear they wasn’t making money off Canelo fights once it said Jacobs had a viewership of 600k. Even if you maximize that you only making 12,000,000. He’ll just off Wilder vs Ortiz 2 PPV they made 20 million from the PPV damn near double what the Canelo fight made.

Them numbers just don’t add up.

I’m thinking even at reduced numbers something like 400k if they had Canelo vs Jacobs for 50 bucks they could have at least made 20 with nobody to share it with and not cutting as much of a loss with Canelo fights.

My truly biggest thing is they should have started low with Dibella or Salita and bided for certain big fights until they could have made a true imprint but they just wanted to burn money.

I believe I understand a part of your reasoning here -- PPV revenue helps mitigate the costs of big fights.

We're still not talking the same numbers though. What the fukk is viewership to a subscription based streaming service? DAZN is not selling TV ads or pay per views, they're selling subscriptions. The relevant number is subscriptions. Doing a quick Google search, I see that ESPN+ and DAZN were both reporting around 8.5 million subscribers for their streaming services, which tells us the bigger picture: DAZN was, in fact, competing with ESPN's streaming service.

Now let's chop numbers:

DAZN sells 1 year subscriptions for $100.

$100 / 12 months = ~$8.33 per month.

1 Canelo card means DAZN pays $40,000,000

40,000,000 / 8.33 = ~4.902 million subscriptions paying $8.33 for one month.

With DAZN looking to buy broadcasting rights to MLB and NFL games, their value proposition wasn't looking too bad at all, which means that expecting their subscription base to grow wasn't unreasonable.

Basically, when Netflix, Hulu, or Amazon produces a new movie or TV show, the box office or selling primetime AD space isn't what drives their profit. It's the subscriptions. Netflix cares about how they can grow their 182 million subscription base.

When DAZN put on an Anthony Joshua fight, they weren't concerned with PPV, they wanted to continue growing their 8.5 million subscribers so that they could be like the aforementioned services.

Last edited:

Conscious Pilot

Do Better.
Daps
Reppin
Beaches and Palm Trees

qF2rlIC.png

Bigblackted4

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Eastcleveland
I believe I understand a part of your reasoning here -- PPV revenue helps mitigate the costs of big fights.

We're still not talking the same numbers though. What the fukk is viewership to a subscription based streaming service? DAZN is not selling TV ads or pay per views, they're selling subscriptions. The relevant number is subscriptions. Doing a quick Google search, I see that ESPN+ and DAZN were both reporting around 8.5 million subscribers for their streaming services, which tells us the bigger picture: DAZN was, in fact, competing with ESPN's streaming service.

Now let's chop numbers:

DAZN sells 1 year subscriptions for $100.

$100 / 12 months = ~$8.33 per month.

1 Canelo card means DAZN pays $40,000,000

40,000,000 / 8.33 = ~4.902 million subscriptions paying $8.33 for one month.

With DAZN looking to buy broadcasting rights to MLB and NFL games, their value proposition wasn't looking too bad at all, which means that expecting their subscription base to grow wasn't unreasonable.

Basically, when Netflix, Hulu, or Amazon produces a new movie or TV show, the box office or selling primetime AD space isn't what drives their profit. It's the subscriptions. Netflix cares about how they can grow their 182 million subscription base.

When DAZN put on an Anthony Joshua fight, they weren't concerned with PPV, they wanted to continue growing their 8.5 million subscribers so that they could be like the aforementioned services.

That’s worldwide numbers though in the states that number was closer to 1 million. People pay less for DAZN in other territories.

They have yet to report the US subscriber never ever because they don’t want you to know.

Think about if they had 8 million subscribers in the US do you think they’d have such low viewership on big fights?

They just can’t get the viewership and numbers in the states. I do think they are about to succeed with their ventures in the UK though. That’s the fighters they have to appeal to that product and actually take them off PPV.

Worldwide I seen they loss 627 million last year. That’s the problem their bleeding money and I think US boxing was the reason.

They also should have been gaining the rights to all things boxing including podcast, documentaries, scripted and reality shows based on the sport. They really dropped the ball. Like why wouldn’t they go get the contender!!!!!!

FreedMind

DOPAMINE FOR MY BABY!!
Daps
Reppin
hella international
That’s worldwide numbers though in the states that number was closer to 1 million. People pay less for DAZN in other territories.

They have yet to report the US subscriber never ever because they don’t want you to know.

Think about if they had 8 million subscribers in the US do you think they’d have such low viewership on big fights?

They just can’t get the viewership and numbers in the states. I do think they are about to succeed with their ventures in the UK though. That’s the fighters they have to appeal to that product and actually take them off PPV.

Worldwide I seen they loss 627 million last year. That’s the problem their bleeding money and I think US boxing was the reason.

They also should have been gaining the rights to all things boxing including podcast, documentaries, scripted and reality shows based on the sport. They really dropped the ball. Like why wouldn’t they go get the contender!!!!!!

Very good points, although I understand why they went all in. It was risky, very ambitious, but they wanted to compete with the big boys, not Bounce TV lol.

Also, generally competition is good in a market, but DAZN really seemed to fukk up a lot of potential matchups. Fumbling the Wilder Joshua bag is damn near fukking unforgivable.:hhh: