Essential The Official Boxing Random Thoughts Thread...All boxing heads ENTER.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
Eleider Alvarez's Trainer Believes Time Has Come To Retire
By BoxingScene Staff

Published On Mon Aug 24, 2020, 08:38 PM EST

Eleider Alvarez and his coach made a pact together.

When he would suffer his next defeat, it was understood that the boxer had to hang up his gloves in order to leave his sport in good health.

This is the scenario that will occur after the painful loss against Joe Smith, which took place on Saturday night at the MGM Grand's Conference Center in Las Vegas.

Alvarez (25-2, 13 KOs) was uncompetitive against Smith (25-3, 21 KOs), who landed numerous damaging punches until he scored a knockout victory in the ninth round. Alvarez suffered a broken nose during the fight.

smith-alvarez-fight%20(14).jpg

Alvarez's head trainer, Marc Ramsay, had already noticed a decline in his boxer's abilities when his fighter was preparing for the rematch with Sergey Kovalev - a fight where Kovalev outboxed Alvarez over twelve rounds.

"We thought we were going to do one last lap together and that we were going to make sure it was fun," Ramsay told Mathieu Boulay of The Montreal Journal.

“We were going to keep moving forward as long as it made sense. Against Smith Jr, this is the first time that we saw that we were really not in the game. I want us to stop this. We must not forget that there is life after boxing.

"We had difficulties during this camp [for the Kovalev rematch]. We continued to have them thereafter. I watch him in the gym. Eleider isn't the same guy anymore. I've been seeing it for a while. The legs are not there as before. His metabolism slowed down. He just isn't able to keep up and neither is his body.

“His metabolism is not what it used to be. The rounds in sparring are getting more and more complicated, regardless of the partners he has in front of him. We knew that the end was drawing near with him."

Several observers will try to find the precise reasons for the one-sided loss against Smith. Among the points that will be raised, there will be the training camp which was held in Quebec with the COVID-19 restrictions. However, Ramsay quickly dismissed this argument.

"It has nothing to do with it," said Ramsay. "We did what we had to do in the gym to be ready for this fight. It's not a question of tactics or preparation. Eleider is simply at the end. In boxing, this is obvious more than it is in other sports. You can't hide on a fourth line like in hockey.

“We were not in the game from the first round. Still, I hoped that Eleider could change the pace of the fight with a power shot. I could see Smith was burning gas and I was still hoping it might work.

“As the rounds went by, Eleider's defense was declining as well. After the eighth round, I warned him that it was his last round for him to do something. However, I wanted a good defense and a bomb. I didn't want him to take bad shots like he had in previous rounds."

theflyest

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I think the best match up for Terrance Crawford at this point would be to unify his WBO title against the current IBO Champion. It would be a massive fight. Anthony Joshua has told us that the IBO is just as legit as the other major titles. If TC is able to beat the IBO champion in a unification match, I think that will satisfy boxing fans.

• Dap
Reactions: L68

Conscious Pilot

Do Better.
Daps
Reppin
Beaches and Palm Trees
I think the best match up for Terrance Crawford at this point would be to unify his WBO title against the current IBO Champion. It would be a massive fight. Anthony Joshua has told us that the IBO is just as legit as the other major titles. If TC is able to beat the IBO champion in a unification match, I think that will satisfy boxing fans.
Just researched who’s the current IBO WW Champ...

It’s the guy Porter just beat Saturday :deadmanny:

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
Sergio Martinez Fires Back at Verbal Taunts From Chavez Jr.
By Miguel Rivera

Published On Mon Aug 24, 2020, 11:20 PM EST

Former two division world champion Sergio "Maravilla" Martinez will not remain silent after the criticism that was made on the social networks by the former world middleweight champion of the WBC, Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.

This past weekend, Martínez, 45-years-old, came out of retirement to stop Spanish contender José Miguel Fandiño.

Back in 2012, Martinez dominated Chavez Jr. for most of their fight to capture the middleweight crown. Chavez Jr. began to rally in the eleventh round of that contest. He badly hurt and dropped Martinez in the twelfth and final round, but he was unable to finish him off.

chavez-martinez_1.jpg

For Martinez, it was his first fight since 2014, when he was knocked out by Miguel Cotto at Madison Square Garden New York City.

Chavez Jr. has been out of the ring since last December, when he was stopped by Daniel Jacobs.

For whatever reason, Chavez Jr. took to social media and took a few shots at Martinez and Oscar De La Hoya for their interest in coming back.

"'Martinez won, he's old, he should stop making a fool of himself and (Oscar) De La Hoya too.... go to rehab instead of wanting to box, rehab would help you more," said the son of the Mexican boxing legend Julio César Chávez.

But Martinez fired right back at Chavez Jr.

"Chávez bores me. He's already so tired, he's bored. Junior is done [with boxing], he can be a good instagramer, youtuber ... it's a pity, but I won't look for him anymore ... the only thing he does is lie and lie," Martinez stated.

In the last two years there has been talk of a possible rematch between between Chávez Jr. and Martínez, but at this point Martinez has little to no interest in facing him.

Bigblackted4

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Eastcleveland
He can’t fukking retire. I must see Elder complete the 175 round robin and fight Pascal, Jack, and Browne.

We must recycle these guys at 175.

How about Elder vs Barrera? Both guys would be coming off loses. They only have two losses. Both in their late thirties. Let’s make it happen.
Lmao fukk his brain