Essential The Official Boxing Random Thoughts Thread...All boxing heads ENTER.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
you got remember reid was the come back kid. he won that gold medal in the 1996 olympics with a one punch knockout down on points. that was a real good team, that 1996 olympic team. doesnt get talked about as much as it should.

This was epic...the 96 team was the first I really paid attention to

The axe murderer

For I am death and I ride on a pale horse
Daps
thats a big question. that would be either a fighter that can fight on them on the inside or a fighter that can keep them on the outside. since the ring is a square, that means you have to move in circles inside of the square, because if you back up in straight lines, your back will hit the ropes or you will get stuck in a corner. in other words you stop moving. there is a certain way to do that, that all the great movers have in common. i'll talk about that a little bit.

first, theres a certain way to throw the jab. you have you press down on your front foot, and in the same motion, swing over your back foot. that looks like this.

0HgaVWh.gif

believe it or not, youre actually only standing on one foot when you throw that jab: your front front. that turns your front leg into a hinge, and, when you throw this jab, you will feel as though you are swinging your body to the left.

PZyKaKD.gif

why is all that important? it lets you side step. try to think of punches as having hit boxes.

nKjlSBu.jpg

that would be a right hand and the idea is that, by circling to the left, you will circle out of its hot zone and enter into a cold zone, where that punch cant hit you. and if you can maintain that position, by always circling to your left and always getting into that spot, which would be a little off his right shoulder, he always has to try to get you back into his hot zone before he can try to land that punch. in other words, you are turning him. that is what it means when you hear people saying that.

heres a good shot of a guy circling to the left, i believe that is actually kingsly ikeke, but as you can see even though he is circling to his left, he always is still right in front of the opponent, so he never really exits out of his hot zone.

you can see when you watch the wilder fury fight that wilder circles a lot like that, where he never really gets to that spot outside of fury's right shoulder, stays in front of him so he never exits out of fury's hot zone, and so he is never able to turn fury. what you are looking for is that ability to side step out of that hot zone, which will look like this. you are looking for that break away action.

XP8yPHL.gif

who was the best at that? i cant say. you have mayweather, ali, whitaker; its a long list. what i can tell you is that they all possess that jab, and they all have the ability to turn their opponents.

Great post. That last gif was something I thought of that monzon was actually very good at dealing with em himself. :ohhh:

The axe murderer

For I am death and I ride on a pale horse
Daps
They didn't call Reid the American Dream for nothing, but you already know trying to come back against Tito was one of the biggest uphill battles in the ring. Once he starts going, its hard to deny him. Reid wasn't making any comebacks once he couldn't put him away and Felix got into his groove.

and the 96 olympic team was very quality. If you follow Tarver on social media you can see he keeps that shyt alive more than anybody else.
That may in hindsight be the last great US Olympic team?

Yuzo

No nice guys in boxing
Daps
Yooooo that 92 team gets slept on for real. Oscar getting a gold. Bryd getting a silver. I believe Montell had a best I ever faced segment or some other type of interview on the ring where he speaks on that team.

I can definitely see Forrest putting hands on Oscar. More consistent jab. Better assortment of punches, plus he hit harder. Physically stronger. Forrest also fought better in the clinch and had a serious uppercut.
I heard Shane used to put hands on Oscar too when they were coming up.
i feel the same way you do.

i think this was the interview. very good listen.

malbaker86

Gators
Daps
Reppin
Jacksonville, FL

I've said it before, EVERYONE'S path in boxing is different. Everyone constructs their resume different. What matters NOW is that he's fighting better/top comp. Who gives a shyt who he fought in his 3rd pro fight. I bet nobody knows (outside of Loma), who the first 5 fighters their fav fighter faced.

Who the hell did Canelo fight before he fought Cotto in 2010 that was worth a damn at the time they fought him???

ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA

Return of the Khryst
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA
I've said it before, EVERYONE'S path in boxing is different. Everyone constructs their resume different. What matters NOW is that he's fighting better/top comp. Who gives a shyt who he fought in his 3rd pro fight. I bet nobody knows (outside of Loma), who the first 5 fighters their fav fighter faced.

Who the hell did Canelo fight before he fought Cotto in 2010 that was worth a damn at the time they fought him???
RICKY HATTON BROTHER