Essential The Official Boxing Random Thoughts Thread...All boxing heads ENTER.

aceboon

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
thats unfortunate..was he injured?
Super middleweight world titlist David Benavidez, who is due to make his first defense this spring in his hometown of Phoenix, was supposed to face former titlist Caleb Truax, but Truax withdrew over the weekend -- before the bout was even officially announced -- multiple sources involved in the fight told ESPN on Monday. Benavidez was initially supposed to make a mandatory defense against Avni Yildirim, but with Yildirim suffering an injury and unavailable, the WBC is allowing Benavidez to make an optional defense first.

i

Dan Rafael, ESPN Senior Writer2h ago

reservoirdogs

Superstar
Daps
They ain’t dying a fast death it’s more like terminal illness unless they get a PPV model
I disagree with this breh. I think the same of PPV. It may die a slow death but it’s a terminal illness with Streaming apps and illegal streams around, the future isn’t in PPVs, that seems clear to me.

Bigblackted4

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Eastcleveland
I disagree with this breh. I think the same of PPV. It may die a slow death but it’s a terminal illness with Streaming apps and illegal streams around, the future isn’t in PPVs, that seems clear to me.
The future def ain’t losing 100s of millions a year. PPV is a tired and true model hell two generally unknown guys just generated at least 80 million in revenue

bigbadbossup2012

Biggest baddest boss
Daps
Internet nikka saying internet things

:heh:
Every shot we've threw at EACH OTHER has been on the internet. Stop having delusional thoughts of grandeur or authenticity. Hell you care so much about the "internet" that you signed up to be an overseer on a internet blog. Internet c00ns

reservoirdogs

Superstar
Daps
The future def ain’t losing 100s of millions a year. PPV is a tired and true model hell two generally unknown guys just generated at least 80 million in revenue

Good chance that with the anount of hype and all it would have done more viewers 10 years ago. More and more people are like or will be like “why get ripped off by networks for PPV when I can get this HD stream popping?” :heh: And on a way they are right.

PPV got tried and tested, in a different era with different market circumstances where people didn’t really have alternative choices or not many. If you wanted to watch you had to buy. That’s not true anymore.

Also more and more will start to question why to pay for these mega events on a price that’s half of their entire annual subscription fee on DAZN or ESPN+? And again they will be right.

PPV will die for sure, it’s just a matter of when not if. Just as traditional TV is dying slowly.

reservoirdogs

Superstar
Daps
Has to be at least twice, let’s settle things...

Nah, it doesn't have to be twice. I understand that this is how things go now especially between two star fighters from different networks but logically it shouldn't be like this. We should get a fight and then based on what we have seen there would either be a demand for a rematch or not. If one beats the breaks off of the other there shuldn't be a rematch. If the would fight a boring hugfest over 12 rounds there shouldn't be a rematch.

The supply doesn't create the demand it works the other way. If there's demand there should be supply.

The Ruler 09

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Nah, it doesn't have to be twice. I understand that this is how things go now especially between two star fighters from different networks but logically it shouldn't be like this. We should get a fight and then based on what we have seen there would either be a demand for a rematch or not. If one beats the breaks off of the other there shuldn't be a rematch. If the would fight a boring hugfest over 12 rounds there shouldn't be a rematch.

The supply doesn't create the demand it works the other way. If there's demand there should be supply.

I think a fight of that stature has to be twice. It could be the defining fight of this generation. It’s also an undisputed fight for all the belts so the loser would deserve a rematch and a chance at redemption. The fight is too big to just do once.

I don’t always like rematches or trilogies, it depends, but often they don’t really do it for me but when we’re talking the biggest heavyweight fight in boxing of this generation between 2 British fighters I think it has to be twice. If AJ knocks Fury out in round 4 and catches him people are gonna say he caught him with a lucky punch and was lucky, if he does it again in the 2nd fight its definitive and can’t say anything. I think a fight of 2 fighters at that level it’s worth doing twice and the only way it can happen.

In theory what you said makes sense, but the reality is it has to be contracted twice because otherwise the winner would just walk away. If for example Fury gets a controversial points win and most think AJ won if there was no rematch clause I’m almost certain he wouldn’t fight him again without it being in the contract. I don’t think it’s a bad thing in such fights, if it’s too 1 sided on either end the loser should get an option to drop out though.

Wilder vs Fury I think only needed to happen twice because nearly everyone thought Fury won the first fight, 2nd 1 decided it. Wilder deserved his shot at redemption but came up short.

With AJ vs Fury the fight is so big there’s gonna be money in the 2nd fight, if it’s for undisputed it will be 1 of the biggest fights of all time in history.