Essential The Official Battle Rap Random Thoughts Thread (URL, KOTD, UW etc...)

Ardamus

Unpopular Opinions About Battle Rap
Daps
All bullshyt aside, I don't want anyone to get sick or die from this in the game. Given this shyt is airborne and thru communication verbally, battle rap has to function...this is a sad situation. I get it why it will go on because if Beasley is looking at how the UFC is doing, he sees that is close combat anyway as a sport overall. My question is: has the UFC had more cases at all? Now, on the other hand, this feels like SMACK URL....had they had some other procedures in place, this wouldn't be a last minute issue. shyt must've changed up for them by the minute more than likely. Who knows.

I am with @RAW_SPK on this. I can see both sides of it.

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
True. But on the flipside that exposure for some could lead to career-affecting complications for battlers so I understand both sides of it
Yeah I completely get it. To me it’s either a do it now or cancel it altogether. Postponing isn’t going to do anything, this virus is never leaving. It’ll always be a threat in some capacity and a major one for at least the next year. It won’t be better in a month or two, it’ll more than likely be worse by then. So I think if they want to do it, it’s best to do it when the opportunity is available. If they think it’s too risky, then just cancel the event altogether.

Ardamus

Daps
I don't believe there's a reason to postpone NOME. This virus isn't getting better any time soon. This probably their best opportunity honestly.

Right. I feel like since we already have some sports poppin' off anyway, they can pull it off. Hell, I work in sports and my dept. was fukked for two to three months once this shyt hit so I get it. And SMACK URL just needs to peep and see how each one of these different leagues in different sports are moving themselves. And keep tabs on what still works or doesn't work anymore. I mean, this could still happen if folks want it.

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
Right. I feel like since we already have some sports poppin' off anyway, they can pull it off. Hell, I work in sports and my dept. was fukked for two to three months once this shyt hit so I get it. And SMACK URL just needs to peep and see how each one of these different leagues in different sports are moving themselves. And keep tabs on what still works or doesn't work anymore. I mean, this could still happen if folks want it.
Except sports actually have athletes who wont have any real issues with a virus and have access to better medical facilities

Half of these battlers are overweight or just aren't in healthy shape in general

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

Around 2:30, Hollow brings up an interesting idea. The league owners are worried about dudes not coming prepared, why not demand to listen to the battler's rounds sometime before the battle? :yeshrug: (There's obvious issues with this, but I don't really think it'd be out of line if Beasley asked someone for that).

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Laying down the groundwork if he gets washed by Lux :lolbron:
If? You mean WHEN. Literally the only thing that can save Surf from a 3-0 is a Lux choke.

He ain't even really laying the groundwork though, literally every NOTION of an advantage Surf may have had in the battle has been stripped lol. It's going to take the best night of his life combined with the worst night of Lux's to even make this battle debatable.

wizworld

Illmatical
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Around 2:30, Hollow brings up an interesting idea. The league owners are worried about dudes not coming prepared, why not demand to listen to the battler's rounds sometime before the battle? :yeshrug: (There's obvious issues with this, but I don't really think it'd be out of line if Beasley asked someone for that).

Not going to happen. Leagues have a choice of who they book. Most of the talk of docking pay based on choking is grandstanding. What they need to do is promote the guys who come to play and are willing to promote themselves.

As much some of us (myself included) doubted the ability of guys like B Dot & Loso to thrive on Smack now he should be pushing guys like that to the forefront. I also think Smack needs to bring back Chef Trez. I think casual fans might find these dudes more relatable anyway.

Last edited:

dutchie

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Still won't prevent MCs from choking tho

Ardamus

Daps
Except sports actually have athletes who wont have any real issues with a virus and have access to better medical facilities

Half of these battlers are overweight or just aren't in healthy shape in general

Rarely agree with you but yep, true indeed.

EA

A Pound & A Prayer
Daps
Reppin
London, UK
If? You mean WHEN. Literally the only thing that can save Surf from a 3-0 is a Lux choke.

He ain't even really laying the groundwork though, literally every NOTION of an advantage Surf may have had in the battle has been stripped lol. It's going to take the best night of his life combined with the worst night of Lux's to even make this battle debatable.

I’ve been saying Lux was gonna 3-0 Surf since it was announced to be in a small room but I don’t wanna be too biased so I’m cutting Surf some bail :lolbron:

Ardamus

Daps
I’ve been saying Lux was gonna 3-0 Surf since it was announced to be in a small room but I don’t wanna be too biased so I’m cutting Surf some bail :lolbron:

:deadmanny: nah bail denied :mjlol:

• Dap
Reactions: EA

theflyest

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I don't believe there's a reason to postpone NOME. This virus isn't getting better any time soon. This probably their best opportunity honestly.

Battling is probably one of the few genres of entertainment that you can realistically do. The participants just really need to be conscientious of how they move and tested as well.

Although it was dope, I think they were way too comfortable with announcing UM2 and that whole thing was a bad look. There was just too many nyggas at one place. That’s something that the URL should not be doing.

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
Battling is probably one of the few genres of entertainment that you can realistically do. The participants just really need to be conscientious of how they move and tested as well.

Although it was dope, I think they were way too comfortable with announcing UM2 and that whole thing was a bad look. There was just too many nyggas at one place. That’s something that the URL should not be doing.
Yeah they got way to lax in their handling of it. They weren't even testing at UM 1, which is crazy. Plus way too many people in a small space. They're doing too much trying to create atmosphere that replicates a Banned/Volume and that isn't the move right now. It should have always just been the battlers and the people needed to run the event and that's it. And honestly, other battlers on the card shouldn't be in the building until they're up next. I unerstand that's a harder feat to accomplish though.