Essential The Official Battle Rap Random Thoughts Thread (URL, KOTD, UW etc...)

Supa

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
When it hit...man your little brother gonna have to hold you up! :birdman:

Even simple shyt like "I heard you used to be blood with your fake ass...I wonder how much dikk they made you suck for that grape flag" hits hard because of how Roc delivers it. Battlers like Roc, Rex, Head Ice, Clips and Qleen have great delivery that makes whatever they say hit hard.

On another note, Ryda vs Trez got over 100k views. That URL platform is real :wow:

The simple shyt is what worked for him. His delivery sells those line on stage. They don't look like much on paper. When he's trying say something clever it all falls apart for him. Tsuey sauce, DNANNY, turducken, etc were :trash:. His rounds are littered with lines like that so I can't get into him.

Good to see small room battles do numbers. Ryda needs another battle asap. I'm still not that high on Trez.

I remember more Roc bars

Feel free to post some :mjgrin:

cornercommission2k12

so this were u dudes went
Daps
Reppin
300 murders a year
I saw all this same nonsense when it was clips supposedly on top

"Bu bu bu he do got bars , he got hay makers" :snoop:

Clips always been mediocre on that level, just like roc is medicore on this level. At least keep it a buck about roc, if you like him as a character, follow his story, etc and that is why you like him, then cool, but please don't insult our intelligence by trying to tell us roc got bars :mjlol:

I still give roc credit for the wins he has, he def not trash but at some point you got to keep it consistent and keep it a buck.

Ardamus

Unpopular Opinions About Battle Rap
Daps
Ok, now with Clips, it was impressive in the written era about how he could freestyle on the spot.....AT FIRST. But let's keep it a buck. nikkas downplay freestyling because a lot of battlers aren't good at it and don't even bother to practice that shyt. Esepcially since most of the fanbase dismisses it as something no one can do right unless you can do some shyt like Charron, Chef Trez, Big Kannon, Dizaster, and etc. With Clips, once he didn't as well against Hollow and Lux, the freestyling wasn't as spectacular as it once was.

JuvenileHell

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Ok, now with Clips, it was impressive in the written era about how he could freestyle on the spot.....AT FIRST. But let's keep it a buck. nikkas downplay freestyling because a lot of battlers aren't good at it and don't even bother to practice that shyt. Esepcially since most of the fanbase dismisses it as something no one can do right unless you can do some shyt like Charron, Chef Trez, Big Kannon, Dizaster, and etc. With Clips, once he didn't as well against Hollow and Lux, the freestyling wasn't as spectacular as it once was.

No we downplay freestyling because for the most part it comes out sloppy because it's impromptu, and to a degree it's a sign of laziness, trying top make up some shyt on the spot, after being given months to prepare and structure your shyt.

Unless it's rebuttal, stick to writtens.

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
The simple shyt is what worked for him. His delivery sells those line on stage. They don't look like much on paper. When he's trying say something clever it all falls apart for him. Tsuey sauce, DNANNY, turducken, etc were :trash:. His rounds are littered with lines like that so I can't get into him.

Good to see small room battles do numbers. Ryda needs another battle asap. I'm still not that high on Trez.

Feel free to post some :mjgrin:

The Yeezy/Beasley joint with Surf is the most memorable line of the year
The trans vest tight bar against C3
The left Hook like Kareem/Right Hook Bill Cosby/It lean bytches bar

I remember those off the top of my head

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
I saw all this same nonsense when it was clips supposedly on top

"Bu bu bu he do got bars , he got hay makers" :snoop:

Clips always been mediocre on that level, just like roc is medicore on this level. At least keep it a buck about roc, if you like him as a character, follow his story, etc and that is why you like him, then cool, but please don't insult our intelligence by trying to tell us roc got bars :mjlol:

I still give roc credit for the wins he has, he def not trash but at some point you got to keep it consistent and keep it a buck.
Big difference between Clips and Roc is Clips uses a bunch of mixtape circa 2000-2004 punchline bars.

Tay Roc structures his bars with heavy multi-syllabic raps. Big difference.

Ardamus

Daps
No we downplay freestyling because for the most part it comes out sloppy because it's impromptu, and to a degree it's a sign of laziness, trying top make up some shyt on the spot, after being given months to prepare and structure your shyt.

Unless it's rebuttal, stick to writtens.

Not completely true tho.
Maybe I look at it too much from the previous era and don't share that vision of freestyling being lazy. I'd prefer a freestyle than to have a ghostwriter. I prefer a prefer a freestyle over recycled verses even. I'd prefer a freestyle over a verse completely bitten from someone else. Because those two things right there are way more fukking lazy than attempting a freestyle, imo. Thats one thing fans forget about this era that continually happens.

JuvenileHell

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Not completely true tho.
Maybe I look at it too much from the previous era and don't share that vision of freestyling being lazy. I'd prefer a freestyle than to have a ghostwriter. I prefer a prefer a freestyle over recycled verses even. I'd prefer a freestyle over a verse completely bitten from someone else. Because those two things right there are way more fukking lazy than attempting a freestyle, imo. Thats one thing fans forget about this era that continually happens.

They had to freestyle back then because....those were the rules. And to be honest, the battles back then did come out choppy in terms of delivery, only a select few could freestyle smoothly. The written era gives battlers more time to prepare and hone their performance, that's why almost all battles in this era have cleaner performances, because battlerap was able to evolve beyond freestyling. Freestyling is good attribute to have, especially for rebuttals, but unless you're in the elite like Diz, DNA or Hollow when it comes to freestyling, doing it for a whole round or even a few bars will come out bad.

And as for the bolded, battlers get flack for all of those things when they do it.

Ardamus

Daps
They had to freestyle back then because....those were the rules. And to be honest, the battles back then did come out choppy in terms of delivery, only a select few could freestyle smoothly. The written era gives battlers more time to prepare and hone their performance, that's why almost all battles in this era have cleaner performances, because battlerap was able to evolve beyond freestyling. Freestyling is good attribute to have, especially for rebuttals, but unless you're in the elite like Diz, DNA or Hollow when it comes to freestyling, doing it for a whole round or even a few bars will come out bad.

And as for the bolded, battlers get flack for all of those things when they do it.

I'm not saying do it for a whole round NOW. That's not at all what I said. Its a different era so I get that. Yes, I know that about freestyling back then because I used to do freestyle battles like that. Wasn't always very clean but shyt, there were times where shyt landed perfectly and they weren't stumbles or slip ups. And I know all them battlers that do that get ripped a new one, that's not my point. I'm saying I'd prefer trying to freestyle over that shyt because what I named are pretty fukking lazy and they all run rampant in battle rap now. And yes, I get that it evolved but that doesn't mean freestyling always has to take a fukking backseat since it can be a part of someone's skillset if they're good at it. Just my opinion.

Mook

We should all strive to be like Mr. Rogers.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh
I like bars. I want to hear something creative and see someone try to improve over time and push everyone to get better. Guys like:

Ave
Rum
Chilla
Magic
JC
Born
QP SONS

I've never been into Roc, Hitman, or Suge who are better at delivering decent material than writing good material. Roc tried to step up and add schemes to his arsenal and you could see just how limited he is with a pen.

Maybe you thought the turducken and pharmacy bars were fire but I thought he's spit some of the worst boo worthy bars on stage and got applause or a pass.

Damn shame when puns are considered witty :mjcry:

MicIsGod

They like what that mean
Daps
Reppin
Atl
You don't have to be super metaphorical to be lyrical by the way. Verb is a perfect example of this. Yung Ill as well. Brizz too. T-Top too. Bigg K too.
Exactly. Verb rarely gives you a super crazy punchline these days but a lot of people still love him. shyt I prefer Tay rocs rounds to verbs rounds in 2016 but that's another argument tbz not ready for. Lol