The Official Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice Movie Thread

Brandeezy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
East ATL
you are right but in some cases i believe it goes a little deeper than just the red underwear.

in superman's case, having the suit be an alien garb that his ancestors wore instead of a homemade outfit by his adoptive mother DOES change the perception of the character a bit even if it's only by the smallest of degrees.

The homemade suit thing was always stupid to me imo

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
you are right but in some cases i believe it goes a little deeper than just the red underwear.

in superman's case, having the suit be an alien garb that his ancestors wore instead of a homemade outfit by his adoptive mother DOES change the perception of the character a bit even if it's only by the smallest of degrees.

In that case, they wanted to make it a big deal of him being an alien which I feel is a good move so yeah you're right

Daps
Reppin
NYC
In that case, they wanted to make it a big deal of him being an alien which I feel is a good move so yeah you're right

here's where we differ though.

i think re-enforcing the fact that he's an alien makes him less appealing as a character.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
here's where we differ though.

i think re-enforcing the fact that he's an alien makes him less appealing as a character.

Interesting. I think it actually makes him a better character because in truth, he is the most human of the DC comics characters because his natural tendency is to gravitate toward idealism and what's more American than idealism? So the most idealistic, good-natured guy on the planet isn't even from here..that says a lot about him while also saying a lot about us as human beings. The same way Data and Spock are two of the most human characters on Star Trek despite not being entirely human

Daps
Reppin
NYC
Interesting. I think it actually makes him a better character because in truth, he is the most human of the DC comics characters because his natural tendency is to gravitate toward idealism and what's more American than idealism? So the most idealistic, good-natured guy on the planet isn't even from here..that says a lot about him while also saying a lot about us as human beings. The same way Data and Spock are two of the most human characters on Star Trek despite not being entirely human

right so if superman's greatest attribute is his humanity then WHY would you want to reinforce the fact that he's an alien by reminding us of it at every turn? so we can say, "great there goes that alien saving us again?" "boy things would really stink around here if weren't for that alien"?

the suit is a reminder that this guy is one of us. that he's just a guy in a costume. that superman came from EARTH.

Woodrow

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
nBZU3Ch.jpg

Snyder just tweeted this

thumbs_up_matt_leblanc.gif

It's got guns on it tho:patrice:

so did: the tumbler. and burton's batmobile's. and adam west's.

frank miller's batmobile? yep.

rubber-bullet shooting batmobiles in the comics? yep.

it's not the first time. not even close.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
right so if superman's greatest attribute is his humanity then WHY would you want to reinforce the fact that he's an alien by reminding us of it at every turn? so we can say, "great there goes that alien saving us again?" "boy things would really stink around here if weren't for that alien"?

the suit is a reminder that this guy is one of us. that he's just a guy in a costume. that superman came from EARTH.

Because Goyer and Snyder aren't the best at writing when it comes to subtlety

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
thumbs_up_matt_leblanc.gif

so did: the tumbler. and burton's batmobile's. and adam west's.

frank miller's batmobile? yep.

rubber-bullet shooting batmobiles in the comics? yep.

it's not the first time. not even close.

Yeah and I had an issue with the tumblr and burton's bat mobile when they did it. And Frank Miller made sure to let it be known they were rubber bullets intended to scare or stun but not kill. Again, not saying it's the first time breh and I've stated why I have an issue with it . Won't stop me from seeing the movie or seeing it with an open mind, just feel that it betrays the character a tad

King Koopa

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The 8-4 and fiery moats
Yeah and I had an issue with the tumblr and burton's bat mobile when they did it. And Frank Miller made sure to let it be known they were rubber bullets intended to scare or stun but not kill. Again, not saying it's the first time breh and I've stated why I have an issue with it . Won't stop me from seeing the movie or seeing it with an open mind, just feel that it betrays the character a tad
:yeshrug:Maybe they'll make it a point to tell the viewers that this one shoots rubber bullets as well?

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
right so the least they could do is NOT put him in an alien suit.

:russ: the least they could do is be subtle but even watching the Dark Knight (which I am right now since its a rainy day and I'm lazy) subtlety isn't something Nolan and Goyer exceed at or put a high premium on. Man of Steel is filled with a lot of the same on the nose dialogue that the Dark Knight has, it's just multiplied in man of steel

Daps
Reppin
NYC
honestly i'm willing to go along with any changes to the myth or the character so long as it retains the essence in some shape, way or form. above all i just want a good movie.

like mostly everyone else i am extremely excited about BvS, but i am also very skeptical.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Because Goyer and Snyder aren't the best at writing when it comes to subtlety
Or because that was what a part of Superman's new comic book continuity by the time the movie was being made and they decided to use that as an influence.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Or because that was what a part of Superman's new comic book continuity by the time the movie was being made and they decided to use that as an influence.

Yeah that too but when I talk about their lack of subtlety I mean the fact that it's said in the movie over and over and over and over again. The suit along with a couple other mentions of it would've been fine but they kept hammering the point home