TheNatureBoy

Veteran
Daps
Stephen Amell is a guest on Aisha Tyler's podcast Girl on Guy
http://girlonguy.libsyn.com/

Haven't listened to it yet, but I'm a fan of her podcast and she does a good job with getting her guests to open up and talk about different things. The one she did with comedian T.J. Miller was surprisingly deep.

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
ARROW: GET READY FOR RAY PALMER, THE FLASH CROSSOVER AND MORE IN SEASON 3

Marc Guggenheim on what to expect this season.

7 OCT 2014 BY ERIC GOLDMAN

After a very well received second season, there’s a lot of excitement around Arrow: Season 3, beginning this Wednesday. At a recent press screening of the premiere, one of the show’s executive producers, Marc Guggenheim, discussed some of what we can look forward this year.

Check out what Guggenheim had to say about Roy becoming Arsenal, the introduction of Ray Palmer and the big crossover with The Flash, among other topics.

A Good Jumping on Point

Discussing the premiere, Guggenheim said, “I kind of feel like this episode is a really good jumping on point for new viewers. We sort of closed a chapter at the end of Season 2."

"This is a brand new opening," Guggenheim continued. "I don't think there's anything you really need to know coming into it. It's pretty new-viewer friendly. And that wasn't necessarily by design; it just happened to work out that way because of the story we were telling."

Arsenal

The Season 3 premiere will introduce Roy Harper’s new costume, as he begins fully joining Oliver on missions and in battle.

Guggenheim explained that partnership is “a big component of this season,” and noted, “I'm very happy with Season 2, and glad you guys are as well. But always being self-critical, one of the things I sort of felt we dropped the ball on a little bit was in [episode] 212 we made a big deal about Roy joining the team and then didn't get a chance to do that much with him because we were pushing a lot of other story. I think one of the fun things about Season 3 is we really get to play with that and you really feel like Roy is a part of Team Arrow and it's more than just wearing a costume; that he's really present and a member of this group; that the trio becomes a quartet. That's definitely true in episode 6. Episode 6 is a very Roy-centric episode and really speaks in some ways to episode 212. It's a little bit of... `I wouldn’t call it a sequel but they are thematically related and they’ll feel very similar. And Roy being a part of the team is an important part of Roy's development.”

Oliver and Arrow have more of a “master/apprentice kind of relationship” in Season 3, Guggenheim explained. “You really see how Oliver is training this kid to be a hero in his own right.”

Guggenheim also noted, “I would be remiss if I didn't say we're doing this comic book that bridges the gap between Season 2 and Season 3 and The explanation for the costume is covered in the comic book,” along with some other elements of the Season 3 premiere that would be a bit more spoilery to mention.

The Olicity Saga

Many Arrow fans are very invested (to say the least) in the romantic possibilities between Oliver and Felicity and yes, in the season premiere, they go on a date.

Asked if he could tease the fans in regards to this date, Guggenheim chuckled, replying, “I’ve been teasing them mercilessly on Twitter! I like to say it’s an explosive first date! It’s so hard to tease it without spoiling it, but I’m very happy with the circumstances under which they have their first kiss because I hope it's unexpected. I hope it plays as unexpected. I hope it plays as emotional.”

The Atom?

Brandon Routh (Superman Returns) has a notable recurring role this season as Ray Palmer – who DC Comics fans know as The Atom. So could we see Ray become the Atom on Arrow?

Guggenheim said “Anything is possible,” but noted he felt that with two TV shows now sharing the same universe, Ray could perhaps be doing some traveling in the future.

ar301c0216bjpg-b99531_640w.jpg

Brandon Routh as Ray Palmer in Arrow.

“My instinct is if Ray Palmer’s gonna shrink, he’ll probably shrink on another show. With The Flash in existence, there’s no real compelling reason for us to do superpowers on Arrow because we can bring characters to Flash to have superpowers. We have plans for Ray that don't involve shrinking - but our plans for Ray are actually really cool.”

When it came to introducing Ray, Guggenheim recalled, “We started off with this notion that a lot of third season dramas bring in a character to sort of shake things up,” adding, “We were thinking, who’s the kind of character we haven’t seen on the show? One thing we hadn't seen was someone who can sort of play at Felicity's level in terms of the banter. Felicity, we always say, we write her as though she came in from a different show. But the problem is, she doesn't have anyone else to talk to like that," noting characters like Oliver and Diggle aren't known for being verbose. "You can't write West Wing-y banter with Felicity and anyone because banter requires two people. Well lo and behold, here’s Ray Palmer!”

“Ray is a joy to write for, “ said Guggenheim, “His banter with Felicity is a lot of fun. It's a quality of the show that we've never seen before.”

The Crossover

While there will be earlier, smaller cameo appearances between the shows, a couple months into the season will see a big crossover event between Arrow and The Flash.

Asked about it, Guggenheim looked positively giddy, exclaiming, “It’s so friggin’ awesome! I have to say, I never had so much fun writing a script before; maybe in my life. It was such a blast o work on. We're filming the Arrow half of it, the Arrow episode, right now. It's just so much fun.”

Guggenheim said his advice for everyone involved was, “We should try for Avengers. These two heroes together. Big production value. We’re blowing out the doors on this. The opportunity for just inside jokes and seeing all the characters together. Like, what happens when Cisco gets his eyes on Thea? Stuff like that. Moments you just can't do in a normal episode. IT's just so much fun. That's really going to be a blast. Jesse Warren is directing it and he's just crushing it. Those dailies are insane. They're really, really insane.”

Spartacus’ Nick Tarabay is introduced in this storyline as DC villain Captain Boomerang and Guggenheim exclaimed, “He's amazing. And that weapon just allows... it's a whole new visual language in the show. It’s a whole new visual language for our stunt guys to work with. And watching Grant and Stephen together, it's magic.”

With Tarabay now the fourth notable Spartacus alum to join Arrow, Guggenheim was asked what was going on, laughing and replying, “I don't know! I really don't know! It's really a coincidence. They had great actors on that show and they work really well in our world. Nick Tarabay came in for a couple of different roles this season. He made a really, really strong impression on me and I'm just really glad we found the right role for him on the show. And he's really, really terrific, as i knew he would be.”

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/10...lmer-the-flash-crossover-and-more-in-season-3