i knew that breh wasn't gay :russ:

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
Arrow: Colton Haynes on How Arsenal and the Team React to Oliver's Absence

Arrow's Colton Haynes on Arsenal becoming a mentor to Black Canary, his relationship with Thea and more.

21 JAN 2015 BY ERIC GOLDMAN

Arrow is back Wednesday night from its midseason break, but there’s a small issue to deal with – Oliver Queen is dead!

I sat down with Colton Haynes to chat about what Oliver’s absence will mean for Roy Harper / Arsenal and the rest of the Arrow team, as Laurel suits up as Black Canary. We also discussed Roy’s relationship with Thea, the potential for more Flash crossovers and more.

AR301_0070b.jpg

Colton Haynes as Arsenal in Arrow.

IGN: Your character has obviously had a lot of things to deal with but, right now, I’m guessing, the next huge thing he’s going to have to deal with is hearing that Oliver’s dead!

Colton Haynes: Not that it’s anything crazy!

IGN: Not anything big for him or the world of the show.

Haynes: I always say I feel bad for Thea because she really is being lied to and being toyed with. Roy is dealing with issues that people are about to find out about that no one knows. He deals with things internally and he really just tries to mask them. It’s a really amazing thing that they’ve done is they have kind of held back the storyline for Roy but you’re going to find out why pretty soon and I think it’s worth it.

IGN: There were some pictures posted on social media of you and Katie [Cassidy] both in costume together. it looks like, with Oliver out of the picture, someone has to pick up the slack.

Haynes: And Roy is a big reason why Laurel, Black Canary, is now part of the team. We need all the help we can get. She’s been through the emotional trauma. She doesn’t really know what she’s doing with her baton. That’s a fun thing going for her but their relationship is cool. It’s a great partnership and especially how everyone reacts once they find out. Roy doesn’t know if he’s pissed off or if he feels betrayed that this happened to Oliver but he doesn’t have time to think. Felicity is obviously heartbroken but still holding out hope that he’s going to come back.

IGN: Does it put your character in an interesting new place because suddenly, whether he’s ready or not, he’s kind of a mentor to Laurel?

Haynes: That’s his kind of thing. He hasn’t necessarily been ready this entire time. He just makes s**t up and hopes it works, so that’s basically what happens. He has Diggle’s help and Felicity is the brains of the whole operation so it makes a really good team.

AR310a_0966b-720x405.jpg

David Ramsey as John Diggle and Colton Haynes as Roy Harper / Arsenal in Arrow.

IGN: Is it fun for you because they have expanded the team around Oliver, yourself included, when you get to sort of find out these new combinations and pair off and see here’s more of what Roy and Felicity are like together and now Roy and Laurel are like together and start to see those dynamics?

Haynes: It’s fun because you always have to remember back when no one had a costume and we were normal people. It’s fun to put that aside and see someone in a different way. Guess what? Two seasons ago I was stealing Laurel and Thea’s purse and they were chasing after me but now we’re working together, so it’s cool. [Laughs]

IGN: They do Arrow comic books that bridge the seasons and fill in some gaps. Do you get to glance at that stuff, because when we began the season a lot had changed? Do you talk to the producers about, say, what exactly happened that put him in that costume?

Haynes: The thing that’s basically happened is we’ve lost a few characters unfortunately and having to go through those storylines, we have to move a lot of story. So talking to them, they’ll tell us one thing and then release something different, but it’s always better. The good thing is the stories are always changing. There’s always two separate stories or ideas they have and then you never know which way they’re going to go. So I know a few different ways this season is going to go for my character, going forward but you never know which is going to stick. It’s really just depending on what other characters they bring in. We’ve had amazing guest cast coming in and there’s going to be even more so.

IGN: You mentioned Thea. The romance is over between them...

Haynes: For now.

IGN: For now. I wonder if they’re going to tell her Oliver’s dead and why he’s dead, but I would feel like your character would want to comfort her one way or the other.

Haynes: He comforts her. It’s funny because she’s basically figuring out -- she doesn’t know about that. She also doesn't know that she did something very wrong, under the influence. Roy is trying to tread lightly because sometimes when you tell people bad news they can take it out on you, even though you have nothing to do with it. He really wants her to be in a good place for when she finds out because now she’s basically lost every single person and the only person she has left is Malcolm Merlyn in the family and he’s a person that could get her killed.

AR303b_0012b-720x405.jpg

Colton Haynes as Roy Harper in Arrow.

IGN: Not only do they have this romantic history but they have this strange, shared thing of having killed people while not knowing they killed someone. He just had to process that.

Haynes: Are you sure you haven’t read this script? [Laughs] Is this in the book? I’m literally going, oh, did someone tell you that? Cool.

IGN: [Laughs] I’m just trying to think how Marc [Guggenheim] would think and Greg [Berlanti] would think.

Haynes: You should just write... Say that I said all this s**t and you just say it was me because you’re saying everything better than I’m saying it.

IGN: [Laughs] Thank you. But yeah, I would think that while other people would be out for blood with Thea, Roy, not just because of the romantic history, but because he went through a very similar thing, would try and protect her.

Haynes: That’s basically what’s going to happen. Roy goes back in the past and the Glades and reaches out to characters and people in his past and that’s a big part of his healing for what he’s done. He basically is going to try and bring Thea along and show her a little bit more into his life that she hasn’t seen because she introduced him to this. So he wants to give back and show her a little bit more of his heart and a little bit more of why he acts the way he does. It’s a really cool, emotional connection they build along the season. It’s really sweet.

AR301a_0459b-720x405.jpg

Colton Haynes as Arsenal in Arrow.

IGN: On just a sort of visceral, getting to dress up as a superhero as an adult level, what’s it been like running around this season in the costume and bringing him to that point?

Haynes: You know what it feels like to put a snuggie on? That’s what it feels like. It hugs me in all the right places. I’m probably going to re-use me saying that. You heard that here first!

It makes you feel like a bad ass. It’s hard to do all these crazy things in a hoodie but having the costume with all the arsenal and everything, it’s easy to feel like a bad ass. It’s really easy to maneuver too. Everyone asks if it’s hot but it’s freezing cold in there so I have to put a bunch of layers under it.

IGN: You had a nice part in the crossover when the Flash characters came to you guys. Would you hope that at some point, maybe with the team or on your own, maybe you can travel over to Central City?

Haynes: I would say it definitely might happen. I think Barry and Roy have a little bit more of a storyline than people know about - kind of in the comic books a little bit. We’ll see if that happens. And they both share the same color so they’re on the same team!

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/01...arsenal-and-the-team-react-to-olivers-absence