satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
Arrow Producer Talks Wildcat, Ra's al Ghul, The Flash Crossover and More.

Marc Guggenheim on what to expect as Season 3 continues.

12 NOV 2014 BY ERIC GOLDMAN

There’s a ton going on this season on Arrow, as Oliver Queen and his allies try to solve the mystery of who killed Sara Lance, while Ra’s al Ghul, Ray Palmer, Ted Grant and many more have arrived on the series.

I spoke to Arrow executive producer Marc Guggenheim about what’s to come with all of those characters and more, as the show moves forward – including the upcoming big crossover with The Flash, the possibility of the Suicide Squad returning and more.

AR306b_0236b-720x405.jpg

Stephen Amell in Arrow.

I should note I spoke to Guggenheim before the photos of Laurel Lance/Katie Cassidy as Black Canary were revealed, hence it not being discussed.

IGN: Let’s start off with this week’s episode. Can you talk about getting to know Ted Grant a bit more?

Guggenheim: Absolutely. You know one of the things that we started the whole season off with was the desire to bring on the character of Ted Grant, who in the comics is the vigilante known as Wildcat and also has the history of training the original Black Canary to be a fighter. So it really was on our bucket list of things we wanted to do this season of introducing Ted. This episode introduces his alter ego as Wildcat, but with a spin. People who watch the show, they might have noticed, we’ve got quite a few vigilantes running around Starling City these days, so the challenge with Ted Grant was to do Wildcat in a way that we haven’t necessarily seen on the show before. Sort of towards that end we kicked around this idea of something that we’d never done on the show, which is reveal that there was actually a vigilante in Starling City before the Arrow.

AR306b_0271b-720x405.jpg

Katie Cassidy as Laurel Lance and J.R. Ramirez as Ted Grant in Arrow.

IGN: Might this vigilante have had any buddies himself?

Guggenheim: He very well might have. Episode six is also a very Roy-centric episode, as one might imagine given the ending of episode five. It’s probably some of the most powerful stuff that Colton Haynes has been asked to play this year. The connection between Roy and Ted Grant’s character, it’s a very interesting one. It’s not directly a connection but it’s a surprising little reveal.

IGN: What is Roy’s next move, given what a horrifying thing he just witnessed himself doing in this dream he had. How does he react to what he just saw?

Guggenheim: I don’t think Roy is going to confide in just anybody. The person he’s most likely to confide in is Felicity. One of the things that we don’t get a chance to do nearly enough on the show is have scenes between Roy and Felicity. We did a series of shorts for Bose last year called Blood Rush that starred Colton and Emily Bett Rickards and it was terrific and it sort of proved our theory that they would be really great on screen together. In part it’s because Colton and Emily are very good friends in real life and they just crush the scenes that they share in [episode] 306.

IGN: And they took amazing pseudo-prom pictures when you guys visited us at Comic-Con!

Guggenheim: I think part of the reason they’re such good friends is the fact that they are both so funny. They’re funny separately but they’re also incredibly funny together and very mischievous.

AR301a_0459b-720x405.jpg

Colton Haynes as Arsenal in Arrow.

IGN: We met Ra’s Al Ghul recently. It was a little glimpse. What is his next move – and Nyssa’s? When might we see the Al Ghul family rise up a little more?

Guggenheim: I can pretty much guarantee that we will see Ra’s and Nyssa before the first half of the season is out. So you’ll see them by the end of the first nine episodes and you’ll get a lot more of Ra’s. That was just a little glimpse but you will get the full real deal by the end of the midseason.

IGN: Anything you can say about your approach to him? Obviously he’s a very famous and popular character at this point.

Guggenheim: It’s a tough sell or it’s a tough job because the truth is Ra’s has been so compellingly represented in the Chris Nolan Dark Knight films and that’s the version of Ra’s that blooms the largest in people’s mind. We wanted to do our own version of Ra’s. We drew a lot from the comics, the regal nature of the comic book Ra’s. The fact that he’s got his own code of honor, the way he fights. At the same time, in the comics, Neal Adams designed a sort of sinewy thing; an almost graceful Ra’s and while that’s good for comics, I’m sort of the opinion that while that’s great for comics, it doesn’t translate to being physically imposing when you put it on screen. So one of the things we wanted to do was cast a very physically imposing Ra’s al Ghul and Matt Nable, he strikes this really perfect balance between… On the one hand, he does have a regalness to him. At the same time, there’s no doubt in your mind that he could kill you with the flick of his hand.

IGN: You’re getting very close to airing the much-anticipated crossover with The Flash. Can you talk about that and what will this experience be like for Oliver, since at this point he’s teamed up with some other costumed characters but this is obviously a bigger level, as far as what Barry can do.

Guggenheim: It’s so much fun, because in The Flash episode we get to see the reaction of both Oliver and Diggle to what Barry can do. I will say, Diggle’s reaction is absolutely priceless. Diggle’s reaction to Barry’s powers throughout that episode is worth the price of admission as far as I’m concerned. It’s incredibly funny, and incredibly clever, and incredibly realistic. For Oliver, probably the biggest challenge is not wrapping his brain around what Barry can do, rather his biggest challenge is dealing with someone who doesn’t just follow his orders blindly. Oliver’s very much used to calling the shots. Occasionally it happens, but generally speaking he doesn’t get a lot of push back from the rest of team Arrow whereas Barry’s not afraid to tell Oliver that he’s being a jerk.

IGN: And that might not go over so well, I’m guessing?

Guggenheim: Let’s say that some fisticuffs do ensue.

AR305a_0114b-720x405.jpg

Brandon Routh as Ray Palmer in Arrow.

IGN: Brandon Routh tweeted a picture of himself getting a life cast and you know there’s certain reasons why people get life casts. Anything you can say about what that might be for?

Guggenheim: It’s funny, I actually didn’t see the photo he tweeted so I can truly say with all candor that I actually don’t know what the heck he posted. But I will say that Ray Palmer’s agenda is revealed, certainly in pertinent part, by the end of episode seven. So if you’re a Ray Palmer fan, you’re really going to want to check out episode seven.

IGN: Might we see the Suicide Squad at all this season?

Guggenheim: We have just been talking about that and we are committed to doing a Suicide Squad episode this year. We know the line up. We are really excited about it. We have a plan as to when it would take place but since I haven’t even pitched the studio on it, I probably shouldn’t tell you about it. [Laughs]

IGN: I have to ask about Felicity’s dad because we got to know a lot about Felicity’s past last week, but you left that dangling out there.

Guggenheim: We’re still withholding! I mean, we’ve known, I’ve said in numerous interviews, we’ve known Felicity’s backstory for over two years now. And that includes who her dad is and, just like with meeting her mom, we’re just waiting for the absolute right time to meet her dad. And when it happens, hopefully like with episode five and meeting her mom, everyone will feel like the wait was worthwhile.

IGN: Last time we spoke, we discussed Sara and the idea that on your show, flashbacks are always an option. Is there a chance of seeing more with her soon? I know you talked about how you would love to, at some point, fill in her missing era and meeting Nyssa and all that.

Guggenheim: We actually are just in the process of, we made this three episode deal with Caity Lotz [for Season 3] and we’re just in the process of finalizing the last episode of that deal; not the last time we necessarily see Caity because we love Caity. Let me say that the way Caity returns to the show is… I can guarantee you not the way you’re expecting.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/11...dcat-ras-al-ghul-the-flash-crossover-and-more