Essential The Official African History Thread

2Quik4UHoes

Why you had to go?
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast groovin…
You would be correct. His father was supposedly the governor of Guadeloupe. There are even stories about him not being mulatto at all because he was said to be very dark. But I think he was.

Yeah, it described him as mixed. But yeah, I learned about him briefly while reading about Dumas. They ended up being enemies in the end but St. Georges was the perfect person for Dumas to have known since he came from a similar background.

J-Nice

A genius is the one most like himself
Supporter
Daps
1993356_f260.jpg

Piankhy The Great

King Piankhy of Nubia watched his tribute of gold, cattle, slaves, and fighting men floating down the Nile to his overlord, Osorkon III, king of Egypt. For more than 1800 years his country had been dominated by Egypt, which drew from it much of her gold and most of her fighting men. Now he decided that when tribute was next due he was going to be the receiver not the giver.
During his twenty-five years on the throne, he had been strengthening his power. With his renowned warriors, who had won most of Egypt's battles for her, he was going to march until he reached the mouth of the Nile. King Osorkon and his viceroy, the High Priest of Thebes, would both lick the dust from his feet, and he would return to his capital, Napata, loaded with wealth as no Nubian ruler had ever possessed before. This was in the eighth century B.C.

His plans ready, King Piankhy started out on the conquest of the world's then mightiest power. His fleet and transports were so numerous that they stretched for miles down the river. As he advanced, he captured all the small towns, sacrificing to the gods of Nubia on their altars, until at last he arrived at the first fortress, Hermopolis.

This he besieged and pressed so vigorously that the city was soon at his mercy. The ruler, Namlot, offered to surrender and sent many gifts including even his crown to win Piankhy's favor; but nothing availed until Namlot sent his queen to plead with Piankhy's women. Piankhy then consented to listen.

Throwing himself prostrate at the conqueror's feet, Namlot cried, "Be appeased, Horus, lord of the palace, it is thy might which has done it. I am one of the king's slaves, paying impost into the treasury."

To Piankhy he presented silver, gold, lapis lazuli, malachite, bronze, and costly stones. He filled Piankhy's treasury with the tribute, and gave him a magnificent horse and a sistrum of gold and lapis lazuli.

Namlot's example was followed by his people. Piankhy's inscription says: "Hermopolis threw herself upon her belly and pleaded before the king. Messengers came forth and descended bearing everything beautiful to behold; gold, every splendid costly stone, clothing in a chest, and the diadem which was upon his head; the uraeus, which inspireth fear of him, without ceasing during many days."

Piankhy spared their lives. Later when he visited the stables of Namlot and saw that the horses were famished, he expressed his pity.

With his mighty fleet, Piankhy captured every city until he came to Memphis, which was strongly fortified with high walls, a large garrison, and an abundance of food and supplies.

Landing on the north side of the city, Piankhy, though surprised at the strength of the place, devised a clever plan of assault. Seeing that the high walls on the west of the city had been recently raised still higher, he reasoned that the east side, naturally protected by waters, was probably being neglected. In the harbor ships floated so high that their bow ropes were fastened to the houses of the city. Piankhy, therefore, sent his fleet against the harbor and speedily captured all shipping; then, taking command in person, he rapidly ranged the captured craft together with his own fleet along the eastern walls. This furnished a footing for his assaulting lines, which he immediately sent over the ramparts, capturing the city before the western defenses could get into action. Tefnakhte, the commander, surrendered humbly.

Thus Piankhy won mastery of all the region around Memphis and continued his triumphant march toward Heliopolis; toward the temple of the great god Amen-Ra: toward the palace of Osorkon.

When he reached Heliopolis, King Osorkon and all the lords of the Delta, fifteen in number, surrendered without resistance. An inscription reads:

He came into the house of Ra and entered into the temple with great praise. The chief ritual prayed to the god that the rebels might be repelled from the king. The Dewat chamber was visited that the sedat-garment might be fastened on; he was purified with incense and libations; garlands from the pyramidon-house were presented to him; and flowers were brought to him. He ascended the steps of the front window to behold Ra in the pyramidon-house. The king himself stood alone, he broke through the bolts, opened the double doors, applied the clay and sealed them with the king's own seal. He charged the priests: "I have proved the seal, no other shall enter therein of all the kings who shall arise." They threw themselves upon their bellies before his majesty saying: "To abide, to endure without perishing, O Horus, Beloved of Heliopolis."

By thus entering the holy of holies of the Sun-God, Piankhy symbolized his mastery of Egypt. Ethiopia had become mistress of the then known world!

This done, Piankhy sailed for his home in the south, his ships "laden with silver, gold, copper, clothing, and everything of the Northland; every product of Syria and all the sweet woods of God's Land. His Majesty sailed up-stream with glad heart, the shores on either side were jubilating. West and East...singing: 'Oh, mighty ruler Piankhi, thou comest having gained the dominion of the North.... Thou art unto eternity, thy might endureth, O Ruler, beloved of Egypt.'"

J-Nice

A genius is the one most like himself
Supporter
Daps
Publius Terentius Afer (Terence)

terence.jpg
Portrait_of_Terence_from_Vaticana,_Vat._lat.jpg

(born c. 195 bc, Carthage, North Africa [now in Tunisia]—died 159? bc, in Greece or at sea), after Plautus the greatest Roman comic dramatist, the author of six verse comedies that were long regarded as models of pure Latin. Terence’s plays form the basis of the modern comedy of manners.
Terence was taken to Rome as a slave by Terentius Lucanus, an otherwise unknown Roman senator who was impressed by his ability and gave him a liberal education and, subsequently, his freedom.

Reliable information about the life and dramatic career of Terence is defective. There are four sources of biographical information on him: a short, gossipy life by the Roman biographer Suetonius, written nearly three centuries later; a garbled version of a commentary on the plays by the 4th-century grammarian Aelius Donatus; production notices prefixed to the play texts recording details of first (and occasionally also of later) performances; and Terence’s own prologues to the plays, which, despite polemic and distortion, reveal something of his literary career. Most of the available information about Terence relates to his career as a dramatist. During his short life he produced six plays, to which the production notices assign the following dates: Andria (The Andrian Girl), 166 bc; Hecyra (The Mother-in-Law), 165 bc; Heauton timoroumenos (The Self-Tormentor), 163 bc; Eunuchus (The Eunuch), 161 bc; Phormio, 161 bc; Adelphi (or Adelphoe; The Brothers), 160 bc; Hecyra, second production, 160 bc; Hecyra, third production, 160 bc. These dates, however, pose several problems. The Eunuchus, for example, was so successful that it achieved a repeat performance and record earnings for Terence, but the prologue that Terence wrote, presumably a year later, for the Hecyra’s third production gives the impression that he had not yet achieved any major success. Yet alternative date schemes are even less satisfactory.

From the beginning of his career, Terence was lucky to have the services of Lucius Ambivius Turpio, a leading actor who had promoted the career of Caecilius, the major comic playwright of the preceding generation. Now in old age, the actor did the same for Terence. Yet not all of Terence’s productions enjoyed success. The Hecyra failed twice: its first production broke up in an uproar when rumours were circulated among its audience of alternative entertainment by a tightrope walker and some boxers; and the audience deserted its second production for a gladiatorial performance nearby.

Terence faced the hostility of jealous rivals, particularly one older playwright, Luscius Lanuvinus, who launched a series of accusations against the newcomer. The main source of contention was Terence’s dramatic method. It was the custom for these Roman dramatists to draw their material from earlier Greek comedies about rich young men and the difficulties that attended their amours. The adaptations varied greatly in fidelity, ranging from the creative freedom of Plautus to the literal rendering of Luscius. Although Terence was apparently fairly faithful to his Greek models, Luscius alleged that Terence was guilty of “contamination”—i.e., that he had incorporated material from secondary Greek sources into his plots, to their detriment. Terence sometimes did add extraneous material. In the Andria, which, like the Eunuchus, Heauton timoroumenos, and Adelphi, was adapted from a Greek play of the same title by Menander, he added material from another Menandrean play, the Perinthia (The Perinthian Girl). In the Eunuchus he added to Menander’s Eunouchos two characters, a soldier and his “parasite”—a hanger-on whose flattery of and services to his patron were rewarded with free dinners—both of them from another play by Menander, the Kolax (The Parasite). In the Adelphi, he added an exciting scene from a play by Diphilus, a contemporary of Menander. Such conservative writers as Luscius objected to the freedom with which Terence used his models.

KwamePiesie

1st born on Saturn's day
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The African Diaspora
bredren and sistern..

this is not for the faint hearted.
therefore i will not speak on this

but

this

Suriname - Winti
winti7.jpg

Cuba - Santeria
images

Brasil - Candomble
9B537E87490C4CD09A22E4537EF6BEDA.jpg

Haiti - Voudon
CIMG0313VOODOO-31-635x476.jpg

is very much part of OUR history

You see the connection in the pics?

He who knows.. Do not tell..

THIS IS OUR KNOWLEDGE

beck

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yeah there's no way you see that in the future unless they try to conquer africa. Most nations in the continent these days have laws that would make such things impossible, laws like for every 1 foreigner hired there must be 6 or 7 locals. Our young leaders are pretty good, just have to kick the old fukks out, they've outgrown their usefulness by a few decades :pachaha: I think in 20 years you'll really see where Africa is headed.

also when African nations trade with China, it's a simple resource for infrastructure deal. China isn't trying to colonize Africa, despite what western media will tell you. European influence in Africa continues to wane, but the US will get what it wants, because it's the US lol.

you we're right until the bolded part....one of the main reasons china trades with Africa is because of a need of colonization, for example Chinese inmates and prisoners who are sent into African countries to work on the infrastructure, and they are free to do whatever they want...they get established here, marry African women, basically ...i speak from the perspective of a Romanian mundele (CaC) whose been living and working in Congo for the past 2 years, so you wanna throw some salt on my comments...

Also, African politicians (tyrannic presidents like the president of Congo D Sassou, Ali Bongo from Gabon etc) loves dealing with China, cause China does not get involved in the countries politics like the french, English and other westerners tryna do.

Sinnerman

Veteran
Daps
you we're right until the bolded part....one of the main reasons china trades with Africa is because of a need of colonization, for example Chinese inmates and prisoners who are sent into African countries to work on the infrastructure, and they are free to do whatever they want...they get established here, marry African women, basically ...i speak from the perspective of a Romanian mundele (CaC) whose been living and working in Congo for the past 2 years, so you wanna throw some salt on my comments...

Also, African politicians (tyrannic presidents like the president of Congo D Sassou, Ali Bongo from Gabon etc) loves dealing with China, cause China does not get involved in the countries politics like the french, English and other westerners tryna do.

My bad forgot to respond...I think Chinese influence differs from nation to nation.. I really don't know anything of the situation in Congo

@Tommy Knocks is this post accurate?

Tommy Knocks

retired
Daps
Reppin
iPaag
My bad forgot to respond...I think Chinese influence differs from nation to nation.. I really don't know anything of the situation in Congo

@Tommy Knocks is this post accurate?
First paragraph is complete bullshyt, second paragraph is true. Africa like dealing with China because they do not meddle in their politics, they have a no hands approach.

As for chinese inmates and colonization, not only does china not send its prisoners, china has no history of colonization. They've been around for over 5,000 years and have influenced EVERYBODY in asia, yet have not colonized anyone. Show me one example.

Also our president isn't a tyrant, he won through free elections, and his name is Joseph Kabila.

Sinnerman

Veteran
Daps
First paragraph is complete bullshyt, second paragraph is true. Africa like dealing with China because they do not meddle in their politics, they have a no hands approach.

As for chinese inmates and colonization, not only does china not send its prisoners, china has no history of colonization. They've been around for over 5,000 years and have influenced EVERYBODY in asia, yet have not colonized anyone. Show me one example.

Also our president isn't a tyrant, he won through free elections, and his name is Joseph Kabila.

That's exactly what I thought. if you read my post he quoted I said as much

Tommy Knocks

retired
Daps
Reppin
iPaag
Nzinga.

http://www.amazingwomeninhistory.com/anna-nzinga-mbande-fearless-africa-queen/

Queen Nzinga Mbande was a ruthless and powerful 17th century African ruler of the Ndongo and Matamba Kingdoms (modern-day Angola). Nzinga fearlessly and cleverly fought for the freedom and stature of her kingdoms against the Portuguese, who were colonizing the area at the time.

Around the turn of the 17th century, the independent kingdoms and states of the Central African coast were threatened by Portuguese attempts to colonize Luanda. (Luanda, today the capital of Angola, was founded in 1576.) Portugal sought to colonize the region in order to control the trade in African slaves, and attacked many of their old trading partners to further this goal.

Unlike many other rulers at the time, Nzinga was able to adapt to these changing circumstances and fluctuations in power around her. By her own determination and refusal to give in to the Portuguese without a fight, she transformed her kingdom into a formidable commercial state on equal footing with the Portuguese colonies.

beck

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL

i'm talking about congo republic, not DRC...

ok they might not have a hands on approach on colonization, but from what i've seen here, Chinese companies they bring their own labor force i.e. chinese inmates, hardly they hire local work force...there are laws here which they require companies to hire local workforce, the chinese companies don't obey them....i'm not gonna go into the environmental part of their presence here cause it might take too long...they are fishing with dynamite and shyt like this

Blackking

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Yeah there's no way you see that in the future unless they try to conquer africa. Most nations in the continent these days have laws that would make such things impossible, laws like for every 1 foreigner hired there must be 6 or 7 locals. Our young leaders are pretty good, just have to kick the old fukks out, they've outgrown their usefulness by a few decades :pachaha: I think in 20 years you'll really see where Africa is headed.

also when African nations trade with China, it's a simple resource for infrastructure deal. China isn't trying to colonize Africa, despite what western media will tell you. European influence in Africa continues to wane, but the US will get what it wants, because it's the US lol.
I hope this is true about those leaders.

I wouldn't be more proud of anything in my life if they keep up policies like that.

And in Ancient times much of Africa greatness was it's resources and innovation... but it also was in Trade with places like China.. The West says that's horrible... I just hope the US and Europe both are pushed out...... shyt was madd good in Africa with China and a few others as the only trading partners.

Last edited: