The Official 2024 MLB Season Thread

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

If you were to project the stats for the years Ted Williams lost due to military service, he would probably have

Over 600 HR
Over 2000 RBI
Over 3000 Hits
Over 2000 Runs
Maybe 600 Doubles

To save time...that's basically Barry Bonds without as many HR and Stolen Bases (and without the juice).

We obviously knew Ted Williams is one of the best 5 or 6 players ever. But it's worth discussing just how good he was because much of his career gets reduced to his one season hitting .406.

Trips

Superstar
Daps
If you were to project the stats for the years Ted Williams lost due to military service, he would probably have

Over 600 HR
Over 2000 RBI
Over 3000 Hits
Over 2000 Runs
Maybe 600 Doubles

To save time...that's basically Barry Bonds without as many HR and Stolen Bases (and without the juice).

We obviously knew Ted Williams is one of the best 5 or 6 players ever. But it's worth discussing just how good he was because much of his career gets reduced to his one season hitting .406.
I still remember being a kid and learning that Williams, Ruth, and DiMaggio weren't in the 3K hit club. I had like the 93 or 94 baseball almanac and read that shyt until the covers came off and pages were worn out. But, I was so convinced that book was wrong I remember running to my like all sports almanac of some kind that had and even larger list or all time leaders. And it matched and they still weren't there. I was like WHAT!!

:ohhh:

Also speaking of reading physical almanacs :old::old::old::old:

Trips

Superstar
Daps
tZ3KlA3_d.webp

Don’t tell me to pump the brakes on this one @Remote :comeon:
Just went yard again.

So upset I missed him in both my Keeper and Dynasty leagues.

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I still remember being a kid and learning that Williams, Ruth, and DiMaggio weren't in the 3K hit club. I had like the 93 or 94 baseball almanac and read that shyt until the covers came off and pages were worn out. But, I was so convinced that book was wrong I remember running to my like all sports almanac of some kind that had and even larger list or all time leaders. And it matched and they still weren't there. I was like WHAT!!

:ohhh:

Also speaking of reading physical almanacs :old::old::old::old:
I still have Bill James' baseball abstract from the late 90s or early 2000s. It's like a 900 page book that talks about each decade, then ranks the top 100 players overall and top 100 by position.

It's obviously out of date but it was a fun read.

Trips

Superstar
Daps
I still have Bill James' baseball abstract from the late 90s or early 2000s. It's like a 900 page book that talks about each decade, then ranks the top 100 players overall and top 100 by position.

It's obviously out of date but it was a fun read.
I had that as well. I think the last time I picked up one of his books was probably the 2017 or 2018 handbook. My main baseball buy now days in terms of books. Is I get the Baseball America Prospect Handbook like every 2 years.

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps

Carpenter has struggled against lefties during his career but he also doesn't have many at-bats against them. Coming into tonight's game, he's had 24 plate appearances against lefties on the season. They've constantly been benching him when lefties have started games. Complete idiocy by the Tigers. It's a lost season; let this kid get as many reps as possible so he can learn and improve against southpaws.

He has an OPS of .932 on the season and they don't want him to hit against lefties. :snoop:

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Brehs, I'm at a High-A minor league game watching the South Bend Cubs and they got mfers hitting 98 on the gun in Single-A?????

:dahell:

Just saw a walk-off Grand Slam tho

:wow:

tremonthustler1

aka bx_representer
Daps
Reppin
My Pops Forever RIP

Carpenter has struggled against lefties during his career but he also doesn't have many at-bats against them. Coming into tonight's game, he's had 24 plate appearances against lefties on the season. They've constantly been benching him when lefties have started games. Complete idiocy by the Tigers. It's a lost season; let this kid get as many reps as possible so he can learn and improve against southpaws.

He has an OPS of .932 on the season and they don't want him to hit against lefties. :snoop:

I'll never understand why teams just decide out the gate that a player can never be more than a platoon guy and be comfortable with it.