The Official 2024 MLB Season Thread

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
Detroit had two #1 overall picks and they turned out to be Mize and Torkelson. It sucks that the MLB Draft is such a crapshoot.

Trips

Superstar
Daps

Detroit had two #1 overall picks and they turned out to be Mize and Torkelson. It sucks that the MLB Draft is such a crapshoot.
So many players to evaluate, so many variables and potential hitches to development etc. Guys look like world beaters or generational talent. And then they go to Rookie ball and look like they never swung a bat before. Pitchers dominate and then suddenly everyone has caught up to them and they've never seen anything like it. The farm weeds out most, but there are some that the farm time is what really ruined their potential.

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
So many players to evaluate, so many variables and potential hitches to development etc. Guys look like world beaters or generational talent. And then they go to Rookie ball and look like they never swung a bat before. Pitchers dominate and then suddenly everyone has caught up to them and they've never seen anything like it. The farm weeds out most, but there are some that the farm time is what really ruined their potential.
I don't even know why they bother putting rankings for draft classes and prospects. Generally, in the NBA, NFL and NHL there's a fairly high hit rate with the top prospects. MLB has to be like 5%.

Even when players do "hit," there's a good chance they wind up like Vladdy Jr. I hate the lack of consistency in baseball.

Trips

Superstar
Daps
I don't even know why they bother putting rankings for draft classes and prospects. Generally, in the NBA, NFL and NHL there's a fairly high hit rate with the top prospects. MLB has to be like 5%.

Even when players do "hit," there's a good chance they wind up like Vladdy Jr. I hate the lack of consistency in baseball.
Vladdy Jr. I want to believe he has more natural power than his dad, but he doesn't have the hit IQ. He's over compensated for power and when he can't hit for power he's underwhelming cause that is what everyone wants out of him. I think if he applied his Dad's approach with his natural power he'll always be a 25/30 guy, but his dad's approach probably gets him regularly in the 40-45 range. But if he changed some things about his hit IQ he could probably do more of the things his dad did with more pop.

I feel like my O's are running into the issue of guys being down in the farm too long is ultimately sapping them of their full potential. Mayo, Norby, and Kjerstad aren't getting better. Kjerstad is a monster at AAA then they bring up and he doesn't immediately set the world on fire or they don't give him regular ABs so they send him back down. He immediately starts mashing again. The difference in MLB level pitching and AAA is higher than the levels suggest. And I think you can ruin a guy by moving him back and forth. That said, I look at the fire the Brewers are putting Chourio through, and yeah he hit a bomb today. But he's basically hitting like 1 a month and then going 0/15 every 3-5 days.

Trips

Superstar
Daps

I think with NFL the rosters are large but you can focus on depth and needs easier. So the success rate can be better. There are still teams that fukk it up. like Philly drafting Jalen Reagor over much better prospects. But you can know and look at classes easier and focus on what units you need to upgrade first etc.

NBA they have so few spots you really either hit or the guy washes out and is replaced in the next 2 drafts.

I thought hockey was a bit more deep on the minors, but they are basically like NBA mixed with NFL they have a farm system but they don't have alot of spots. So it's focus and plug or failed and find the next one.

MLB you keep that dynamic SS you drafted at 18, that has been stuck in A-Ball because his hit tool looked so great at 18 in his state/region. But, then he started playing guys from everywhere and it's like hmmm. But, they still don't want to give him up.

Daps
Reppin
NYC
I said the yanks getting soto was a great deal because he would play out of his skin before he goes into free agency, both look like a match made in heaven, I would be shocked if the yanks don't offer a 10-12 year deal.

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
Mariners have the next breh up:

RYAN BLISS
licensed-image

Ten years ago – when Bliss was a freshman at Troup County High School in LaGrange, Georgia – Bliss responded to a social media post from the Mariners. The team posted a photo from insider T-Mobile Park, then Safeco Field, with the field partially illuminated that read, “The diamond is it up for the holidays. #ILoveSafeco Field.”
:wow:

5 games in
11 AB
2 SB
4 walks
1 hit
1 run
He's crazy fast running the bases, and i'm hopeful he might be the next black american dude to make an impact.