The OFFICIAL 2019 College football RANDOM THOUGHTS thread

RammerJammer

#RollTide #TSC #RiseUp #BullsNation #RIPKobe
Daps
Reppin
Montgomery, Alabama
Man, that 2011 LSU team was just special. That team had it all......except a QB and competent head coach but still managed to give everybody on their schedule that work except you know who.

Should’ve went down as one of the all time GOAT teams but they had to be stupid and beg for BAMA instead of OSU :smh:

Les didn’t even try to beat us the second time, had Jarrett Lee on the sideline like “:dry:”.

2011 LSU still one of the GOAT teams to not win a title, their defense was ridiculous.

PortCityProphet

Follow me to the truth
Daps
Reppin
Bama ass DC
Dude was talking about dropping attendance across the sport and what happened when he and others suggested having 1st round of 8 team playoffs on campus
1024108166-AL_TUS_wright-300x225.jpg

Wright Waters, the Executive Director for the Football Bowl Association, speaks to the Alabama Sports Writers Association at a luncheon on Sunday, June 9 at Sewell Thomas Stadium. [Edwin Stanton]
“That is something different that we’ve never had to deal with before,” Waters said last week while meeting with the Alabama Sports Writers Association. “When we had the Greatest Generation watching games, television was 30x30x30. We now have 70-inch TVs, and football is a game that broadcasts very well. For people to be able to sit at home on the couch with a cold beer and clean restrooms — that’s an issue we’ve never dealt with before as we made these transitions.
“Also, this generation is tied to cellphones and we don’t know exactly how to get into it.”

This generation also is tied to student debt. According to the Institute for College Access and Success, 46 percent of 2017 University of Alabama graduates have some type of debt. The average debt for 2017 UA graduates is $34,000.

Getting younger alumni to attend football games with such a big financial burden becomes more difficult.

“Students come out of college with huge debt and they don’t have expendable income,” Waters said. “You hear about these graduates going back to live with mom and dad because they can’t afford their first home. It’s a challenge we are still working on and have to figure out.”

Alabama is taking steps to keep the fans’ interest at home games, particularly students. Alabama head coach Nick Saban has been critical in the past of students leaving games early, and through a renovation project of Bryant-Denny Stadium, UA hopes to keep students in the stands for more than just one half.

The UA board of trustees just approved a budget increase for the stadium renovation project from $75.5 million to $92.5 million due to changes in the original plans. Upgrades to the plan include larger video scoreboards in the corners of the stadium, more elevators, and 10,000 square feet of space on the southeast ground level providing a shaded area for students to socialize.

“I don’t know of any stadium in the country that has an area like this designated for the students, so it will be a nice addition for them,” Byrne said at the trustees meeting last week.

The slight dip in attendance is not enough for immediate concern, Waters said. College football continues to be profitable and has a huge impact on local economies. But the lower numbers do suggest finding ways of protecting that investment for the future.

That could mean tweaking the playoff system and expanding it to eight teams, which sounds good on paper.

Waters said he was part of the team a few years ago that was tasked with coming up with a plan to replace the old BCS system. His team came up with an eight-team playoff with first-round games played on campus Jan. 1. There was blowback from college presidents.

“They didn’t just tell us no, but hell no,” Waters said. “You are not bringing this thing to our campus during exams and all the hotels are already sold out for graduation. So you have to shrink this thing down to about 21 days.”

The other issue with an expanded playoff is money. Fans who already spend a hefty amount on regular-season games would be asked to cough up more money for playoff games, which includes travel, lodging and meals.

“That’s a lot to ask of fans,” Waters said. “There are logistical issues. What can the public afford? Alabama has seven home games, then you go to (the SEC title) game, then you go to a semifinal and then a final — we have people that can’t afford that.”

malbaker86

Gators
Daps
Reppin
Jacksonville, FL
The issue with decreasing attendance is

cost of tickets

lack of alcohol sales (that ban has been lifted)

crappy home OOC games

I love Florida, but outside of playing Miami and FSU this season their other two home games are against TN-Martin and Towson. Next year, remove Miami and replace them with Easten Washington to go along with South Alabama and New Mexico State as their OOC home games. There's no chance in hell i'll go to those games no matter how cheap the tix are or even if they're free.

RammerJammer

Daps
Reppin
Montgomery, Alabama

cost of tickets

crappy home OOC games

I love Florida, but outside of playing Miami and FSU this season their other two home games are against TN-Martin and Towson. Next year, remove Miami and replace them with Easten Washington to go along with South Alabama and New Mexico State as their OOC home games. There's no chance in hell i'll go to those games no matter how cheap the tix are or even if they're free.

That’s a big problem breh. With Alabama, the last home game against a non-SEC P5 opponent was against Penn State in 2010, i meantime we’ve played Michigan, USC, West Virginia, Virginia Tech, Florida State, and Wisconsin, and Louisville in that time frame, imagine if they were true home and road games?

DropTopDoc

20/20 Vision With my Buffs On
Daps
Reppin
South Side Chicago to Nola
we've never had a major hurricane hit Jacksonville (well not in my lifetime that is) but we're getting awfully close. I've been putting it off for too long but i need to buy a generator. i'd rather buy it and never have to use it in my lifetime than not have and REALLY need it in a time of need

Yes be over prepared brother

Dude was talking about dropping attendance across the sport and what happened when he and others suggested having 1st round of 8 team playoffs on campus

Them presidents must not have got that brief case, with the money, because it’s no way in hell im turning down a million dollar plus home playoff game could you imagine like an Alabama Oklahoma playoff game in Tuscaloosa how much money t-town and the university would stand to make

RammerJammer

Daps
Reppin
Montgomery, Alabama
Yes be over prepared brother

Them presidents must not have got that brief case, with the money, because it’s no way in hell im turning down a million dollar plus home playoff game could you imagine like an Alabama Oklahoma playoff game in Tuscaloosa how much money t-town and the university would stand to make

Not just T-Town but Birmingham, Meridian, even Montgomery would make big bank over a playoff game in Tuscaloosa. I’ve been a big supporter of a 6 team Playoff with the first round being on Campus sites.

jwonder

Banned
Daps
Reppin
DADE County

cost of tickets

crappy home OOC games

One major OOC is good enough. You need to have some cupcakes to give your guys a break. You only need more than one if you have a cake walk schedule every year.

As for the playoffs it should be the top 10 with 1 and 2 with byes. I don't like 4 because it gives the SEC pass to have more than one team in which is terrible when it's those few spots available. SEC is very overrated. Bama,UF, and LSU are the only tough teams in recent decades. The rest seem to get washed all the time in bowl games. GA could have been up there is they got rid of that bum Richt sooner.

malbaker86

Gators
Daps
Reppin
Jacksonville, FL
One major OOC is good enough. You need to have some cupcakes to give your guys a break. You only need more than one if you have a cake walk schedule every year.

As for the playoffs it should be the top 10 with 1 and 2 with byes.
I don't like 4 because it gives the SEC pass to have more than one team in which is terrible when it's those few spots available. SEC is very overrated. Bama,UF, and LSU are the only tough teams in recent decades. The rest seem to get washed all the time in bowl games. GA could have been up there is they got rid of that bum Richt sooner.

The biggest thing the SEC needs to do is play the same amount of conference games as the other conferences do

invincible1914

G.O.M.A.B.
Daps
Reppin
LSU, Saints, Alcorn, VCU
Les didn’t even try to beat us the second time, had Jarrett Lee on the sideline like “:dry:”.

2011 LSU still one of the GOAT teams to not win a title, their defense was ridiculous.
I still have PTSD from that game. That was brutal to watch. It was like a game of Tecmo Bowl where the offense and the defense were both both calling the same play. Les Miles was a character and a top flight recruiter (he had Coach Saban leaning back for a minute) but I was so happy when he got fired. That's why I don't even listen when people start talking bout how you gonna fire a coach with such a winning record.