The OFFICIAL 2018 College football RANDOM THOUGHTS thread

Sauce Dab

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Every class has busts. But when you load up with higher level talent, that bust is replaced by another 4/5*. And I really hope people don't start bringing up a random 2/3* that made it to the league. There are about 32 5*s in every cycle, vs like 900 3*s, so yeah some 3*s will be all americans/all conference and get drafted and drafted high. But, a 5* talent is much more likely to pan out than a 3*. Go all the way back from 1991 to 2018, every national champion except for Auburn had top tier crooting talent across the board, and it took a generational QB like Cam to buck the trend.
Nah big fella we had big recruits that year too. Michael Dyer was like the #1 back in the nation that year along with Marcus Lattimore (which we almost got too). And Cam wasn't out there playing defense. Nick Fairley was literally the best defensive player in the nation that same year.

Edit: I just looked it up we had a top 5 class

Last edited:

O.iatlhawksfan

Devoted Joel Embiid hater
Daps
Reppin
New Orleans
Every class has busts. But when you load up with higher level talent, that bust is replaced by another 4/5*. And I really hope people don't start bringing up a random 2/3* that made it to the league. There are about 32 5*s in every cycle, vs like 900 3*s, so yeah some 3*s will be all americans/all conference and get drafted and drafted high. But, a 5* talent is much more likely to pan out than a 3*. Go all the way back from 1991 to 2018, every national champion except for Auburn had top tier crooting talent across the board, and it took a generational QB like Cam to buck the trend.
Just look at 5* from an individual standpoint most don't live up to their rankings

https://247sports.com/Season/2010-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool

High school rankings are more about how far ahead someone is size and athleticism wise. They don't measure someone's heart and drive. To be a great pro you need more than physical abilities you need to have it mentally too. That's how someone like JJ Watts a 2* in high school becomes great because he had it the intangibles to go with it.

MustafaSTL

Achievement In Every Field of Human Endeavor
Daps
Nah big fella we had big recruits that year too. Michael Dyer was like the #1 back in the nation that year along with Marcus Lattimore (which we almost got too). And Cam wasn't out there playing defense. Nick Fairley was literally the best defensive player in the nation that same year
Yeah I didn't mean that to say Auburn had Cam and a cast of runoffs. Just that I don't think they had similar runs of top tier classes leading up to winning the championship like most other teams the past 30 years. That's nothing against them, but they had classes in the 20s in 2008 and 2009, and the 2010 class part of the championship team were true freshmen. Even taking the past 10 years as example, all the teams except for Clemson had classes mostly in the top 5. I'm saying it's a whole team full of stacked talent that way more often than not wins it all every season.

MustafaSTL

Achievement In Every Field of Human Endeavor
Daps

Just look at 5* from an individual standpoint most don't live up to their rankings

2010 Top Football Recruits

High school rankings are more about how far ahead someone is size and athleticism wise. They don't measure someone's heart and drive. To be a great pro you need more than physical abilities you need to have it mentally too. That's how someone like JJ Watts a 2* in high school becomes great because he had it the intangibles to go with it.

He is an anomaly way more than he is the norm. Of course there are 5* busts, just like there are first round pick busts. But I bet you there are more first round picks/first overall players that pan out than there are 7th round picks/unsigned free agents. Just like statistically you are more likely to pan out as a 5* croot than a 2/3* croot. For example with OSU's least heralded class under Urb in 2015, Ohio State 2015 Football Commits ,of the 11 3*s in the class, only 3 have had some kind of tangible impact. The rest have transferred out or deep behind on the depth chart. Whereas I can only see 2 4/5*s that have not played much if at all, and one was due to several injuries that forced him out of football and the other due to a Big Ten suspension that forced him to transfer.

Sauce Dab

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Yeah I didn't mean that to say Auburn had Cam and a cast of runoffs. Just that I don't think they had similar runs of top tier classes leading up to winning the championship like most other teams the past 30 years. That's nothing against them, but they had classes in the 20s in 2008 and 2009, and the 2010 class part of the championship team were true freshmen. Even taking the past 10 years as example, all the teams except for Clemson had classes mostly in the top 5. I'm saying it's a whole team full of stacked talent that way more often than not wins it all every season.
Yeah now I see what you're saying. Add to the fact that Auburn team had like the most seniors in the nation to add on to that top 5 recruiting class. So we were going to be pretty good regardless and Cam and Nick Fairley put us over the top

RammerJammer

#RollTide #TSC #RiseUp #BullsNation #RIPKobe
Daps
Reppin
Montgomery, Alabama
Who do you think was y'all biggest bust? Philip Sims?

Well, Sims did get an opportunity to win the starting job, albeit it was only a one week competition.

I'd go with either Dee Hart or Chris Black.

I thought "Crazy" Tony Brown's career should've been better than it was

Sauce Dab

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Well, Sims did get an opportunity to win the starting job, albeit it was only a one week competition.

I'd go with either Dee Hart or Chris Black.

I thought "Crazy" Tony Brown's career should've been better than it was
Yep Tony Brown came to mind too. He had hella hype coming out of HS but Marlon Humphrey took his shine