The OFFICIAL 2018 College football RANDOM THOUGHTS thread

O.iatlhawksfan

Devoted Joel Embiid hater
Daps
Reppin
New Orleans
However, that's now what ESPN college football analyst Booger McFarland thinks. He joined The Paul Finebaum Show on Tuesday to discuss what's happening down in LSU this summer. After declaring the Tiger defense would be "top three in the SEC — no doubt about it," he stated that the offense won't be as bad as some may think.

"Offensively, they're a little thin at running back — although they do have a guy in Clyde Edwards-Helaire. The quarterback situation is not as bad as I expected it to be. Danny Etling was never a guy I thought was going to scare anyone. They got a couple of guys, Paul, in Narcisse, McMillan, and Brennan. I think you're going to end up seeing quarterback by committee because no one is going to separate themselves. Narcisse is going to play. He's a left-handed version of Jalen Hurts, however you want to take that. I think that's what he is. I think the other two have the ability to throw the football. Surprisingly, they threw the ball well in spring. Now, it is spring and you're going against guys you're familiar with but I left Baton Rouge a couple Saturdays ago and I was more optimistic than I thought I would be going there. I don't think it's all gloom and doom in Baton Rouge."

Then, McFarland went in on former offensive coordinator Matt Canada. Reportedly, Orgeron and Canada didn't always see eye-to-eye in 2017. After the team's loss to Troy last season, athletic director Joe Alleva met with Orgeron, Canada, and defensive coordinator Dave Aranda. McFarland implied Canada was the source of a lot of that negativity.

"The one thing I can say is, now that Matt Canada is gone, I think the feeling or the cloud of whatever is going on down there has been lifted. Evidently, although the Matt Canada experiment seemed successful on the field, the attitude with the coaches wasn't exactly what it should be. If you know Matt's history, he's rubbed programs the wrong way everywhere he's been."

I don't think Canada is as bad as they make him out to be. He's a great playcaller and has a unique scheme but I do agree that the scheme isn't for SEC football. In the SEC you need to assert ur dominance as oppose to running an offense where you are trying to trick someone.

Sauce Dab

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
We could probably beat em tunning read option Gatewood with Boobie and Asa then just playing ball control :mjgrin:
We'd have to throw the ball at some point. Washington a good run stopping team. I ain't trying to see us look like Florida when they had McElwain :AuburnCamby:

RammerJammer

#RollTide #TSC #RiseUp #BullsNation #RIPKobe
Daps
Reppin
Montgomery, Alabama
Shea Patterson regarding leaving Ole Miss

“I can live with throwing an interception in the national championship game. Or to get there, in the playoff. It might be hard to live with that — but I don’t know if I could have lived with not being able to to get the chance to compete for one.”

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
However, that's now what ESPN college football analyst Booger McFarland thinks. He joined The Paul Finebaum Show on Tuesday to discuss what's happening down in LSU this summer. After declaring the Tiger defense would be "top three in the SEC — no doubt about it," he stated that the offense won't be as bad as some may think.

"Offensively, they're a little thin at running back — although they do have a guy in Clyde Edwards-Helaire. The quarterback situation is not as bad as I expected it to be. Danny Etling was never a guy I thought was going to scare anyone. They got a couple of guys, Paul, in Narcisse, McMillan, and Brennan. I think you're going to end up seeing quarterback by committee because no one is going to separate themselves. Narcisse is going to play. He's a left-handed version of Jalen Hurts, however you want to take that. I think that's what he is. I think the other two have the ability to throw the football. Surprisingly, they threw the ball well in spring. Now, it is spring and you're going against guys you're familiar with but I left Baton Rouge a couple Saturdays ago and I was more optimistic than I thought I would be going there. I don't think it's all gloom and doom in Baton Rouge."

Then, McFarland went in on former offensive coordinator Matt Canada. Reportedly, Orgeron and Canada didn't always see eye-to-eye in 2017. After the team's loss to Troy last season, athletic director Joe Alleva met with Orgeron, Canada, and defensive coordinator Dave Aranda. McFarland implied Canada was the source of a lot of that negativity.

"The one thing I can say is, now that Matt Canada is gone, I think the feeling or the cloud of whatever is going on down there has been lifted. Evidently, although the Matt Canada experiment seemed successful on the field, the attitude with the coaches wasn't exactly what it should be. If you know Matt's history, he's rubbed programs the wrong way everywhere he's been."

I don't think Canada is as bad as they make him out to be. He's a great playcaller and has a unique scheme but I do agree that the scheme isn't for SEC football. In the SEC you need to assert ur dominance as oppose to running an offense where you are trying to trick someone.
Blah Blah Blah

Booger homer ass need to STFU and LSU needs to produce on the field. That loss to Troy and the Miss St ass whipping done dropped the whole damn program down a few notches. Nobody even picking LSU as a dark horse sleeper in the west.

No more excuses this season.

jwonder

Banned
Daps
Reppin
DADE County
It is what it is. That's what happens when you play in a tough league. We ain't playing Southern Miss every week :mjgrin:
Meh. The times just changed. FSU played 2 top 5 teams every year in the early to mid 90's. Not too many teams can say they did that year in and out.

If you can't beat them. It's all for naught. :yeshrug:

TUA TAGOVAILOA

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
bama
Another 2019 commit today from a 6'2'' 330 lb DT:wow:We are going to have the #1 class locked up by first signing day this year

Chrishaune

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Huntsville
Shea Patterson regarding leaving Ole Miss

“I can live with throwing an interception in the national championship game. Or to get there, in the playoff. It might be hard to live with that — but I don’t know if I could have lived with not being able to to get the chance to compete for one.”

Ole Miss will never truly be in the playoff hunt. Too many landmines for them....

RammerJammer

#RollTide #TSC #RiseUp #BullsNation #RIPKobe
Daps
Reppin
Montgomery, Alabama
Ole Miss will never truly be in the playoff hunt. Too many landmines for them....

Facts, Ole Miss is banned from post season play this year and will probably be a perennial 6-6 team for at least the next few seasons. Also, nobody likes Ole Miss, Houston Nutt and Shea Patterson got beef with them right now and Mississippi State will bring them down anytime they feel like, nasty rivalry over there.

Eli Manning/Cutcliffe era = 0 Division Titles
Jevan Snead/Nutt era = 0 Division Titles
Chad Kelly/Freeze era = 0 Division Titles

Haven’t won anything of significance since the 60s.

Sauce Dab

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Facts, Ole Miss is banned from post season play this year and will probably be a perennial 6-6 team for at least the next few seasons. Also, nobody likes Ole Miss, Houston Nutt and Shea Patterson got beef with them right now and Mississippi State will bring them down anytime they feel like, nasty rivalry over there.

Eli Manning/Cutcliffe era = 0 Division Titles
Jevan Snead/Nutt era = 0 Division Titles
Chad Kelly/Freeze era = 0 Division Titles

Haven’t won anything of significance since the 60s.
Tbh there's a glass ceiling over teams like that. If top recruits don't happen to randomly be from that state then teams like the Mississippi teams or Arkansas more than likely ain't getting them. Same for a team like Kentucky. It's only so far they can go :FrancisWave: