The NFL Is Just Brutal Man

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
I don't like how organizations throw these guys out there on shyt teams, switch up the coaches and offenses multiple times, and expect immediate results.

The QBs who can come in and take a trash team to good alone as a rookie are RARE.

If you gonna draft a guy that high you need to have belief that he can eventually thrive in your system, and if thats the case give him time to learn it.
This.

I said it in the other thread, if I'm a GM I'm building the OL first.
If I were doing it this year and a top 3 pick, I'd first trade back for more picks.

Build the OL, put a transitional QB to get them experience protecting someone for 1 year. Then get your QB you really want.

Then next year you'll still be bad enough to draft high, and you'll have extra picks to move up and draft the QB you really want.

OL and great blocking schemes/coaching are the staples for a great QB to grow.

kdslittlebro

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
This.

If I were doing it this year and a top 3 pick, I'd first trade back for more picks.

Build the OL, put a transitional QB to get them experience protecting someone for 1 year. Then get your QB you really want.

O line play has been trending down for damn near a decade. The big athletes are going to the other side of the ball, and the ones left are being brought up with the expectation that the QB will get himself out of danger, which also makes blocking for a moving target more difficult

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
O line play has been trending down for damn near a decade. The big athletes are going to the other side of the ball, and the ones left are being brought up with the expectation that the QB will get himself out of danger, which also makes blocking for a moving target more difficult
Actually, the bigger athletes are not on defense, in the modern NFL there are so many big OT's and Guards ragdolling multiple defenders.

There's just so much a coach can do to help the QB and OL as well:

OL play is probably at an all-time high as there are so many 6'5-6'8 330-365 lbs. players.

This is what Stroud's offensive line is doing to defensive lines and defenders:

Last edited:

Based Lord Zedd

Colts or Die
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston TX
He looked fine in the SEC and those were much bigger than him too, no qb is surviving on that team.

So he looked fine at Bama where he had a ton of help and the talent difference was in his favor.
Now in the NFL he looks bad when he's expected to do more and be the help.
That's mid.

Not on him, but when a team trades all that and takes you at #1, the expectation is you're the guy who can overcome a bad situation. Bryce has played like a UDFA.

The whole "no qb is surviving on that team" is a stretch but we'll see what Dalton does.

kdslittlebro

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Actually, the bigger athletes are not on defense, in the modern NFL there are so many big OT's and Guards ragdolling multiple defenders.

There's just so much a coach can do to help the QB and OL as well:

OL play is probably at an all-time high as there are so many 6'5-6'8 330-365 lbs. players.

This is what Stroud's offensive line is doing to defenders:

I was going off of this

I guess it’s less the bigger athletes and more the better athletes, but pass rushing has definitely overtaken offensive line play.

Not saying that there are no quality linemen, but building a solid o-line is definitely as difficult as its been.

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
I was going off of this

I guess it’s less the bigger athletes and more the better athletes, but pass rushing has definitely overtaken offensive line play.

Not saying that there are no linemen, but building a solid o-line is definitely as difficult as its been

Yeah I think overall for sure.

That said elite OL's are basically the most dominant force in football. There's just nothing you can do vs an enormous wall that shoves you up the field and little bro's you. The best teams right now all have some elite talent on their OL. That's why I think it's critical to setup the QB you draft with a great, high-potential OL. So many of the bad teams today have neglected their OL and even some good OL's have zero depth.

It's definitely not easy to build a great OL, but some of the ones these GM's are putting their #1 pick behind are simply failing them. The Bears Center is 285 lbs. but there are centers right now who are 320 lbs. for example. Weight isn't everything, but man it's much tougher to move the latter if you're a defender.

Based Lord Zedd

Colts or Die
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston TX
This.

Then next year you'll still be bad enough to draft high, and you'll have extra picks to move up and draft the QB you really want.

Agreed

Texans:
Tunsil: big trade
Kenyon Green: 2022 1st round
Juice Scruggs: 2023 2nd round
Tytus Howard: 2019 1st round
Blake Fisher: 2024 2nd round

Slowik and his QB-friendly scheme

I think Bryce would be much better in Houston but still wouldn't want him on my team :hubie:

kdslittlebro

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Yeah I think overall for sure.

That said elite OL's are basically the most dominant force in football. There's just nothing you can do vs an enormous wall that shoves you up the field and little bro's you. The best teams right now all have some elite talent on their OL. That's why I think it's critical to setup the QB you draft with a great, high-potential OL. So many of the bad teams today have neglected their OL and even some good OL's have zero depth.

It's definitely not easy to build a great OL, but some of the ones these GM's are putting their #1 pick behind are simply failing them. The Bears Center is 285 lbs. but there are centers right now who are 330 lbs. for example.
I agree it’s damn near a cheat code to have an elite line, and a necessity to have a satisfactory line. No way you should throw your franchise behind some bullshyt. That’s how you get rookie Burrow :pachaha: the reason I started paying attention to the trend was because the Chiefs were/are constantly trying to find the best solution to protect Pat, but the tackles have been mostly food since Schwartz and Fisher left. The interior is elite, but the edges are shaky, and with edge rushing being the priority, it’s that much more important to set the edge. I think that’s a part of the reason passing has been trending down overall. Even without getting sacks, those hits add up, and the rush bring in their face speeds up progression/fukks up timing.

It’s been an interesting arms race to watch

kdslittlebro

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Agreed

Texans:
Tunsil: big trade
Kenyon Green: 2022 1st round
Juice Scruggs: 2023 2nd round
Tytus Howard: 2019 1st round
Blake Fisher: 2024 2nd round

Slowik and his QB-friendly scheme

I think Bryce would be much better in Houston but still wouldn't want him on my team :hubie:
I’d want him on your team :myman: