The myth of NYC being biased, is it just revisionist history ?

Mr. Negative

Can't change overnight like Ebenezer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Mississippi Cotton Field
wasnt no bias as far as artists go. You look at early 90s videos, all kinds of cameos in east coast artist vids.

It was more so the fans.

Too much pride.

Westbama Heartthrob

Irregular Zero
Daps
Reppin
7th District
In for revisionist history babble :russell:

By next week expect the umpteenth thread saying the south killed hip hop and the west coast made rap too violent :unimpressed:

Or gen z rap made everybody junkies when majority of ny rappers were crack and dust heads throughout the 90s and beyond :martin:

Vancouver Grizzly Fan

AKA Vancouver Baller
Daps
Reppin
Vancover, BC
I was born n raised in NY......I listened

E1999 1 of my favorite albums of all time :wow:
Respect!

Bone sold more than 50 million records, more than Wu Tang, Mobb Deep, Eric B and Rakim, Run DMC, De La Soul more than any group from NY and still don't get any respect.

To New Yorkers Bone is the group that Big did that song with on Notorious Thugs.

Anyone saying there

Daps
Reppin
Chi
To be fair, the source was extremely picky giving out 5 mics.

You mention chronic, doggystyle not getting 5 mics. Keep in mind, 36 chambers, infamous, ready to die, cuban linx type albums didn’t get 5 mics either.

I definitely agree that the albums you mentioned deserved 5 mics. But they were very stingy with 5 mic ratings.

Outkast was getting 4.5 mics on their first joint. More than most east coast albums we consider legit classics.

If you actually do research on the source ratings, you will actually discover their was no bias

Fair, and they eventually went back and gave all those albums we just mentioned 5 mics

Liquid Swords only getting 4 was another ridiculous rating

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
We just hate wack ass shyt and call it as such. If that shyt bangs we jackin it. Like dudes weren’t listening to dope West Coast shyt when they were on top. You think dudes wasn’t rocking with Bone when they fist came out?

All this right here.

There were too many people who weren't New Yorkers, talking about what New Yorkers liked or didn't like. When in fact, we played sh*t from every region. I knew people who were CRAZY about Bone Thugs! One of my best friends was a damn Rap-A-Lot junkie and would be playing Big Mike all the time.

New York f*cked with everything. But if you were wack, we would say so. No matter where you were from.

BreezyH

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
NY bias is a myth to the extent that people think NyC hates other regions. The worse you can say is NYC wasn’t really thinking about other regions, but out and out hate? Nah