The myth of NYC being biased, is it just revisionist history ?

Finesse

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Gotham
It's a myth. nikkas caught feelings from being booed or whatever. Meanwhile we booed everyone. Even our own. We are the home of the Apollo.

Yup

NY is just agressive. If you not used to it you may think its personalized. When that is really the way it is for everybody.

The whole NY "Fukk Outtaaaa Herrrrre :camby: " mantra

iliketurtles

Do Right And Kill Everything
Daps
Reppin
Free guwop
NY nikkas was dikkblowIng Drake the last few months because the day refuse to give an LA nikka credit. Same nikkas be throwing that passive shade towards Nip too. NY nikkas are dusty haters and clearly biased
West Coast supported a fake stripper (game) over a real NYC dude (50). L coast always been lame asf

Dzali OG

Dz Ali OG...Pay me like you owe me!
Daps
Reppin
Duval Florida
NY lost itself when it stopped hating and being bias. They need to get back to being who they are.

All the other regions tricked them into changing their spots...then we took their place.

If we let NY be NY hip hop would be in a better place. And I'm saying this as a southern guy who experienced the real NY.

Toe Jay Simpson

Searchin’
Daps
Reppin
Carmel City
That was the radio personalities not the artists or the average New Yorkers. Masta Ace made “Sittin On Chrome” out of respect. Puff put Big on west coast sounding beats because it was hot. nikkas was rocking Snoop out here but he was barely getting radio play over Black Moon (who is dope but still)

It was nikkas on the radio every night playing those games

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Been shouting this shhit on here forever. That’s not NY’s bop, to hate different coasts and regions and shhit. That’s Cali energy for real, they lie and try to convince themselves that NY has/had the same energy for them, it’s a goofy (and dangerous) lie just because you want to have beef and friction, that gang/us vs. them mindset shhit is disgusting out there.

Only people you’ll ever hear try to say NY was on that are people not from NY, lol…for the exact same reason the West nigs try to say NY was on that, just because they want to believe it so they can be on that.

We just hate wack ass shyt and call it as such. If that shyt bangs we jackin it. Like dudes weren’t listening to dope West Coast shyt when they were on top. You think dudes wasn’t rocking with Bone when they fist came out?

9:45

Bu bu but its just a myth yall:mjlol:

Folks just attempting to rewrite history in here,thats all. Just remember Illmatic got 5 mics while Doggystyle got 4 irrc. So even the nikkas that was hot who they had to give shine too by popular demand. There was still alot of undercover gatekeeping going on basically. New York didnt want to let other regions get that wxposure out of fear they would lose their grip on the game. Which inevietably ended up happening anyway. They say the tighter you try to hold on to something,the more likely it is to slip through your fingers:francis:

qnsfinest

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Queens, NY
Certain biases existed. The Source gave The Chronic 4.5 instead of 5 bc of Lil Ghetto Boy, doggystyle only got 4 mics...
To be fair, the source was extremely picky giving out 5 mics.

You mention chronic, doggystyle not getting 5 mics. Keep in mind, 36 chambers, infamous, ready to die, cuban linx type albums didn’t get 5 mics either.

I definitely agree that the albums you mentioned deserved 5 mics. But they were very stingy with 5 mic ratings.

Outkast was getting 4.5 mics on their first joint. More than most east coast albums we consider legit classics.

If you actually do research on the source ratings, you will actually discover their was no bias

Last edited:

Bugzbunny129

All Star
Daps
No. The bias isnt real and only existed because new york is the media capital of the world. You have to go there to get signed. All the magazines were made there. That leads to the perception but nyc is made up of a lot of transplants and a lot of writers are from all over the country.

For new yorkers themseleves there is no bias. Do we fukk with nyc based artists more? Of course dont yall love your home town favs?

Being in the mags or mtv or radio meant you had some connection in nyc. Cant get mad they aint playing other regions shyt if we dont know about it. But nyc fans are more open to other regions than the other regions are to each other so bias? No.

We didnt have to fukk with yall but did anyway. Yall had to fukk with us because hip hop from elsewhere wasnt being pushed nationally/as developed as nyc. Nycs domination didnt even last long.

Last edited:

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
Are we talking music or life?

There's a NY bias in American media in general, which includes but isn't limited to hip hop. Most of the major corporations are headquartered there, the major networks, the major sports leagues, etc. Historically non-East Coast rappers had to hustle a little harder for notoriety than East Coast guys did...

Alot of that has changed in the social media era, you're no longer dependent on NY or NY labels/A&R's to get on. But I think there's still truth in it...

As far as life in general, I think it's a "big city" bias in general. NYers, Chicagoans, Angelenos, Atlantans, etc all tend to feel superior to people from smaller cities. That's just a life thing...

Daps
Reppin
Westside Atl Perry Homes
Man, if yall nikkaz wasn't at least born in the 70s, then you can't speak. There was definite bias in the early hip hop days. Period. We didn't just make this shyt up. Of course it changed over time, but it was there. nikkaz talking about in 96, in 2000. Nawl my nikka, you gotta go back a few more years. I've posted examples of this same topic a few times on here. Not going thru all that again, but then NY dudes were being total a$$holes at first.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
In the 90's, this wasn't a myth. There was bias and to say otherwise is laughable. I'm talking about bias from gatekeepers. Of course, you don't accept everybody with open arms, but it was still a lot of backhanded compliments passed out to artists who were dope. Bone Thugs N Harmony as big as they were weren't exactly welcomed. Crucial Conflict is another act. Most Southern Hip Hop before OutKast wasn't either.

It wasn't until like 1997 when there was a shift. There isn't a bias much now except on forums where The South is blamed for everything wrong with Hip Hop, but beyond that, I would say that there hasn't really been any real bias since the early '00's.