The myth of NYC being biased, is it just revisionist history ?

BrothaZay

Non-FBA. AdosK
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The suburbs
I was born in the mid 90s so maybe I sound dumb but are there any examples of NYC actually being biased to other regions, any more than other regions are biased ?

OutKast won an award at the source as did west coast artist

Biggie shouting out snoop etc

Where exactly was all of this nyc bias ?

Mandarin Duck

Majestic and Highfalutin
Daps
Reppin
Ponds
I think the bias NYC had is called out more because they were the gatekeepers during that time.

But you had pockets of regional bias from all parts of America in the 90's.

Sidenote: A great thread would be about Rappers from one region and their songs made to appeal to another.

Like TI's "Bring Em Out",
Gucci Mane "Gucci Time"
Jeezy "Go Crazy"

I'm sure there's more examples of that from the 2000's.

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
There was definitely NY bias. The bias isn't with the greats though. I think that's where things get confused. The superstars get play everywhere. It's more the average rapper. Average NY rappers would get a lot of placement in magazines and on video shows and just more hype compared to other regions. All these other regions during the 90s had their own bubbling hip-hop scene that you wouldn't hear as much about. So you'd see rappers like Jeru the Damaja, BCC (great beats but half of them was just average as fukk), CNN, Screwball and the likes getting a lot of articles. Meanwhile artists like Mac Mal, Spice 1, Celly Cel (minus It's Goin Down) or other comparable artists from Cali wouldn't be featured near as much.

10bandz

RIP to the GOAT
Supporter
Daps
NY nikkas was dikkblowIng Drake the last few months because the day refuse to give an LA nikka credit. Same nikkas be throwing that passive shade towards Nip too. NY nikkas are dusty haters and clearly biased

Tommy Gibbs

Superstar
Daps
It's definitely true. Before I even start typing, I want you mfers to know that 8 of my top 10 favorite MCs are from NY. 6 of my top 10 favorite hip hop albums are from New York born MCs. Now, my problem with NY is that they were always quick to call someone wack, but somehow Puff got a pass and was basically gifted a career after Biggie's death. Another thing is their media. I'm not talking about the Source becasue I don't know if you can classify The Source as a NY magazine since Dave Mays isn't from NY. Their media outlets have always been heavily biased against non NY artists. That has changed the past 15 years or so in this era of region-less music because everyone sounds the same rhyming over the same beats.

Illmagic

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I never saw it. I started hearing it a lot when the south had things on lock. ( Though it was really people saying east coast bias in general) It wasn't cause it was it was the south it was cause alot of it was indeed wack.

mag357

Superstar
Daps
I never saw it. I started hearing it a lot when the south had things on lock. ( Though it was really people saying east coast bias in general) It wasn't cause it was it was the south it was cause alot of it was indeed wack.

Exactly. The south were the ones who started the "NYC bias" thing cause their sht use to be ass.
Kinda still is...but they got the clout now.

The west coast always was successful. Even more so at times than the east.

The sound nikkaz always been insecure about that sht cause we thought they was backwards and slow. And they were always portrayed that way.
Their music was just ass

zayk35

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Escondido California
When I joined the Marines in 96 and started meeting ppl from other regions I started to notice that they did have a sense of "yeah what y'all doing over there is cool, but I'm front NY and I listen to real hip-hop" But the hip-hop media was more biased than regular ppl because it was based in New York and staffed with NY and mostly eastcoast writers. They tended to review southern rap and even a lot of Westcoast rap like a suburban middle class white person commenting on black culture. They didn't respect it and had no frame of reference of what an 8 ball & MJG Scarface, UGK or Master P meant to us.

Pop123

Peace
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Been shouting this shhit on here forever. That’s not NY’s bop, to hate different coasts and regions and shhit. That’s Cali energy for real, they lie and try to convince themselves that NY has/had the same energy for them, it’s a goofy (and dangerous) lie just because you want to have beef and friction, that gang/us vs. them mindset shhit is disgusting out there.

Only people you’ll ever hear try to say NY was on that are people not from NY, lol…for the exact same reason the West nigs try to say NY was on that, just because they want to believe it so they can be on that.