The media's fascination with mocking black music. Am I reaching here?

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
OK. Let me preface this by saying that... Ariana Grande's album is actually pretty damn good for what it is. I stumbled upon it by suggestion and turned out liking a majority of it.

Shes' got a good voice and her music is cool...

but...when she does stuff like this and when Jimmy keeps remixing rap songs in that corny white-boy style...it REALLY makes me wonder if rap music is just seen as one big parody rather than other styles of music being worthy of such mockery.

Don't forget all of this stuff too:

King Poetic

Black Coast Island
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles County, California
rap music has become a parody and joke for white people

and the rap artist today ( i.e. rick ross, jay-z ) are not going to say shyt about it, because the justin timberlakes and jimmy lovines in the world are letting them sit down at the table with them

They really never tried that shyt when public enemy, BDP types was around in music.

nikkas are becoming more and more clowns everyday and proud of it..

Elle Driver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
At the beginning of mean streets
This been goin on my nikka, wake up. Look at jazz artists, look at Elvis, look at all these white people that take our music and culture, mock it, and profit off of it, because they'd rather have white faces on our culture. It's a joke to them and so are we as a people. If white people could've come up with shyt on their own instead of stealing it, I really wonder where the world would be.

No_bammer_weed

✌️ Coli. Wish y’all the best of luck. One
Daps
I think a lot of it is self-effacing. White people are mocking just how rhythmless and uncool a lot of them are in contrast with black people, as much as they are seemingly mocking black folks. Cool is a currency and commodity that has been as important as anything in our western mass media. Black folks have largely set the trends --- especially in the past couple of generations. Basically whitey mad. Its a grudging nod of respect, mixed with jealous resentment.

Last edited:

mr x

Superstar
Daps
taylor-swift-t-pain-duet-00.jpg

The-Mannings-are-rapping-now-Eli-Manning-Peyton-Manning-rap-for-DirecTV-commercial.jpg

King Poetic

Black Coast Island
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles County, California
look in the 60's when the temptations or other black groups came out and u had there own managers trying to sell there music to white artists so the white artist can sell or even replace there album covers with white kid faces.

That's why i respected ray charles so much cause he demanded them white folks for them to give him his masters and publishing so if any white people want his music they pay his ass for it.

We need to smarter up cause nikkas keep throwing a blind eye to these white folks tricks

???

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Obama is still president, what do you expect? White people will continue to get away with a lot of stuff until Barack gets out.

When a white guy gets back in office, then white people will do a complete turn around and act like nothing happened.

REdefinition

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I think a lot of it is self-effacing. White people are mocking just how rhythmless, and uncool a lot of them are in contrast with black people, as much as they are seemingly mocking black folks. Cool is a currency and commodity that has been as important as anything in our western mass media. Black folks have largely set the trends --- especially in the past couple of generations. Basically whitey mad. Its a grudging nod of respect, mixed with jealous resentment.

I agree with this. With a lot of these parodies the object of the ridicule is the person performing. They're not mocking hiphop on some malicious "lets make fun of black people" way, they're using hiphop to mock themselves to make an ironic joke. IMO anyway.