The "makings of a fly apartment" thread....

GnauzBookOfRhymes

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm trying to cop some mid century modern chairs but they are $$$

main thing is that you dont need to buy an actual eames or nelson piece...there are modern reproductions that will give you same effect...take this arc lamp for instance

PD_780_MAIN

you can pay $3000 + for an original or 1/10th for a reproduction of the

Arco Floor Lamp

Arco Floor Lamp - Design Within Reach

b2c_3x4crop
Eames is $5000+ but a high quality mmodern reproduction can be had for less than $1,000

but if you're the type of person that enjoys the hunt/process, go to craigslist or facebook marketplace and you can find legit vintage pieces usually for very reasonable prices. a lot of the time you have people who are retiring/downsizing or children who are looking to get rid of their parents homes after they died etc.

For instance, a Milo Baughman chair can run you $3,000 EACH

But I just did a quick search on craigslist (to be fair i'm lucky to live in a big city) and someone is selling these for $900 for the pair. They aren't Milo but they are definitely vintage (not cheap modern chinese knockoff).

00g0g_5mBiK8RA37a_1200x900.jpg

mcellas

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Miami
Can any brehs tag me on a goof office room set up? My second semester of my doctoral program im trying to a good space to get this shyt done. :mjcry:

WesCrook

Veteran
Daps
You even have just a plain one-bedroom apartment, all you need is some nice furniture to 1. make it look comfortable and inviting, and 2. organize stuff. If you apartment looks like a dump, that's on you. I had a clean living room and dining room in a 1-bedroom apartment, but the bedroom was a mess though.
I stored my clothes in plastic bins. Didn't have dressers. :mjgrin:
I got one of these. They look decent and are only $20. Ideal for socks, tees, boxers....

41cBPY5FW2L._SL500_.jpg

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
I got one of these. They look decent and are only $20. Ideal for socks, tees, boxers....

41cBPY5FW2L._SL500_.jpg
Way better than what I had. I had plain plastic bins. They weren't drawers like those.
Anyway, it's when you get a real house, that's when it's worth getting real furniture.
Being single and moving around a bit, no point in owning a bunch of heavy furniture to move around. I was always able to move all my stuff in a small U-Haul truck when I moved around.

dj-method-x

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
i don't have any but it's usually minimal and tucked to accent rooms not feeling the neon light show on walls shyt I've been seeing

I work in different homes so I see a lot of this shyt irl

yeah it’s some people who live around me that have some lighting that looks decent, but when I look LED lighting up on YouTube it’s all tacky shyt.

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I have some floating shelves that I am going to put up. Still trying to determine what exactly to put on display though. I've narrowed it down to the following
  • Cologne
  • Google Nest Mini
  • D'usse bottle (feels a little immature though)
  • Digital camera (nervous that the shelf might fall though)
  • Maybe a low-maintenance plant like bamboo?

Anyone have any suggestions? here is what they look like:

sSbTKtH.png

tpPejPK.png

Last edited:

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Been waiting for ~6 months but was finally able purchase some Ikea furniture that had been OOS online. My place is finna be looking right in a few weeks:
nJku48I.png