Essential The Locker Room's Random Thoughts

Aphrodite

The Black Venus
Daps
Lisa Nicole Carson is another who has opened up about dealing with her bipolar disorder.

G455528_b.jpg

Partly why she disappeared.

Unknown Poster

I had to do it to em.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Class of 2006
a19abb7f08f75b3d56cd7850f6244488.jpg

When, in February 1956, EC Comics' Incredible Science Fiction #33reprinted an earlier story named Judgement Day, all hell broke loose.

The cause? It was a science fiction story about an astronaut from the Galactic Republic, who traveled to a planet populated entirely by robots. The planet, however, was divided into orange and blue 'races' of the robots, one of which was treated by the other as inferior, and granted fewer rights accordingly. As a result, the astronaut decides that the planet is not worthy of joining the Galactic Republic after all.

The biggest problem, though? The final panel (above) revealed the astronaut to be black.

And, promptly:

The Comics Code Authority Had a Fit
the-comic-book-company-we-were-all-banned-from-reading.jpg

As comics historian Digby Diehl put it in Tales from the Crypt: The Official Archives, the CCA head honcho Judge Charles Murphy was far from happy:

"This really made 'em go bananas in the Code czar's office. 'Judge Murphy was off his nut. He was really out to get us', recalls [EC editor] Feldstein. 'I went in there with this story and Murphy says, "It can't be a Black man". But ... but that's the whole point of the story!' Feldstein sputtered. When Murphy continued to insist that the Black man had to go, Feldstein put it on the line. 'Listen', he told Murphy, 'you've been riding us and making it impossible to put out anything at all because you guys just want us out of business'. [Feldstein] reported the results of his audience with the czar to Gaines, who was furious [and] immediately picked up the phone and called Murphy. 'This is ridiculous!' he bellowed. 'I'm going to call a press conference on this. You have no grounds, no basis, to do this. I'll sue you'. Murphy made what he surely thought was a gracious concession. 'All right. Just take off the beads of sweat'. At that, Gaines and Feldstein both went ballistic. 'fukk you!' they shouted into the telephone in unison. Murphy hung up on them, but the story ran in its original form."
It was the last comic-book EC Comics ever printed.

ill_will82

What you see, is what you get
Daps
Lisa Nicole Carson is another who has opened up about dealing with her bipolar disorder.

G455528_b.jpg

Partly why she disappeared.

:mjlol:
I seen that edit I was about to tell you you posted Maia.

@Prima Donna

Do you think she disappeared in Hollywood because of no one wanting to work with her because of illness? I remember she did Ally McBeal and don't remember her doing much else.

Aphrodite

The Black Venus
Daps
Do you think she disappeared in Hollywood because of no one wanting to work with her because of illness? I remember she did Ally McBeal and don't remember her doing much else.
Her peak was 90s movies and shows. But I definitely think the mental illness played a part. That is a very very very very dark industry. No telling what she has witnessed, endured and been through before the industry and in it.

ill_will82

Daps
Her peak was 90s movies and shows. But I definitely think the mental illness played a part. That is a very very very very dark industry. No telling what she has witnessed, endured and been through before the industry and in it.

I really don't see how people aspire to want to be apart of Hollywood especially if they are a minority. Some of the stuff I done read/watch about that industry is just :whoa:

Aphrodite

The Black Venus
Daps
I really don't see how people aspire to want to be apart of Hollywood especially if they are a minority. Some of the stuff I done read/watch about that industry is just :whoa:
@Ol' Otis knows the shyt I'm talking about. It's very evil and dark.
Even aside from the blatant racism. What they must compromise/sacrifice and the things they have to indulge in so they can keep their spots.
How they are also portrayed as "crazy' whenever they speak out...so it's easy to silence them or brush them off.

ill_will82

Daps
@Ol' Otis knows the shyt I'm talking about. It's very evil and dark.
Even aside from the blatant racism. What they must compromise/sacrifice and the things they have to indulge in so they can keep their spots.
How they are also portrayed as "crazy' whenever they speak out...so it's easy to silence them or brush them off.

Like Ol' Otis said Hollywood really ain't for black folks.

Now that I'm thinking about it I remember that thread about Halle Berry speaking on how Monsters Ball didn't do anything for her career or the career of upcoming actresses.

They can brush away the dirt/silence actors because it's ran by Jews with $$$ and power.