'The Last of Us' HBO Series (NO GAME SPOILERS!) | Season 2 Coming 2025 (7 Episodes) | Season 2 Official Teaser Released

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
If you played the games this show is NOT FOR YOU

EXPECT changes that will annoy you :yeshrug:

I’ve played the game and i welcome change. I’ll never understand people that want 1:1 adaptations, you already know the story, allow yourself to enjoy a new take on it.

Its not like they got some no name directors and writers on this.

Jazzy B.

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
I’ve played the game and i welcome change. I’ll never understand people that want 1:1 adaptations, you already know the story, allow yourself to enjoy a new take on it.

Its not like they got some no name directors and writers on this.

Because Videogames are essentially their own movies (I'm referring to the cinematic games).

Fans aren't expecting adaptations they're expecting full on remakes.

Changes Hollywood make to videogames adaptations are usually due BUDGETTING REASONS or to conform to Hollywood standards at the expense of the video game source material.

This of course will annoy the fanbase of the game.

For example I already know this show will not have the same level of violence or brutality the game had as it has to conform to Hollywood.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Because Videogames are essentially their own movies (I'm referring to the cinematic games).

Fans aren't expecting adaptations they're expecting full on remakes.

Changes Hollywood make to videogames adaptations are usually due BUDGETTING REASONS or to conform to Hollywood standards at the expense of the video game source material.

This of course will annoy the fanbase of the game.

For example I already know this show will not have the same level of violence or brutality the game had as it has to conform to Hollywood.

It doesn’t really make sense for the show to have as much brutality, they not gonna show Joel and Ellie just running through entire squads of people blowing their heads off, it doesn’t work for television, not because of ‘hollywood’ because of storytelling purposes. There’s a level ludonarrative dissonance that doesn’t correlate to the story but has to exist to keep your engaged as someone playing a game. These characters aren’t Rambo, but if you’re tying to enjoy a game it has to play as a shooter.

It will be violent in key moments to drive a point, not to satisfy a gamers bloodlust. Its the same reason something like Mortal Kombat can’t be as violent as the games, theres just not enough moments that even call for it when you’re actually trying to put together a well told story

Jazzy B.

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
It doesn’t really make sense for the show to have as much brutality, they not gonna show Joel and Ellie just running through entire squads of people blowing their heads off, it doesn’t work for television, not because of ‘hollywood’ because of storytelling purposes. There’s a level ludonarrative dissonance that doesn’t correlate to the story but has to exist to keep your engaged as someone playing a game. These characters aren’t Rambo, but if you’re tying to enjoy a game it has to play as a shooter.

It will be violent in key moments to drive a point, not to satisfy a gamers bloodlust. Its the same reason something like Mortal Kombat can’t be as violent as the games, theres just not enough moments that even call for it when you’re actually trying to put together a well told story

I never said anything about "running through squads" I am saying the level of violence/brutality during the action scenes will be TONED down as they want the show to have broader appeal and be more accessible.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I never said anything about "running through squads" I am saying the level of violence/brutality during the action scenes will be TONED down as they want the show to have broader appeal and be more accessible.

If they don’t turn down the violence for GOT i dont see why they would do it for this. From what i read they are only reducing the quantity of violence not the extremity.

BlackXCL

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
t.

HBO’s The Last of Us is by far the best video game adaptation ever made for the big or small screen.
The third episode is what elevates The Last of Us from a horror romp to something on the verge of truly special. The rare 75-minute TV episode that didn’t cause me to look at my watch once

Them dumbass, not knowing what good writing is, racist, sexist, trash ass taste having ass haters just taking more L's.

Next up is Factions 2.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Will watch the first season of this. Not so sure about watching past that. I still think that the end of the original game was perfect.

Mike809

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx
So is this show only going to have like 2 or 3 seasons ? Since season 1 already covers the first game entirely.

I imagine Neil will have at least the story for last of us part 3 , once the show finishes part 2.

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
If you played the games this show is NOT FOR YOU

EXPECT changes that will annoy you :yeshrug:
Eh, I think hardcore gamers will be annoyed just like book readers or any original source material vs any adaptation. But the majority will be fine with changes as long as execution is done well. First six season of GOT had a ton of changes from the books and the vast majority of book readers didn't really care.

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
So is this show only going to have like 2 or 3 seasons ? Since season 1 already covers the first game entirely.

I imagine Neil will have at least the story for last of us part 3 , once the show finishes part 2.
If the show is the hit everyone is expecting to be, I have a hard time picturing Neil not going forward with a 3rd game. But they have time on their side considering the nature of part 2 and what a potential part 3 could be.

Brandeezy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
East ATL

Mazin said that he thinks Part II of the game will be around 2 Seasons long. Plus it'll give Naughty Dog time to get Pt. 3 out.