The Last Black Man in San Francisco starring Finn Whitrock & Thora Birch - A24

Jblaze204

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Uptown NY
Just finished watching, I felt like this was more of a collection of abstract art? Maybe? rather than a standard movie with 3 acts filled with conflict. This is not a comedy, action, or drama. So what is this really? I was expecting to come out of this movie with at least an understanding of the black experience and culture of San Francisco but I didn't learn shytt. This didnt show any black culture at all. No music, no presentation of how it was growing up black in SF, no women at all :hhh:, It just showed two dodo birds wondering around like those weird cacs you see in gentrified cities. I also felt uncomfortable with the N word being thrown out, it didnt feel right, the essence wasn't there.

What a disappointment. Wasted an opportunity to create a coming of age show case of the black experience and educate the movie audience on the reach of black culture, the positive and negative.
This was 2 cacs in black face mincing around :camby:

Last cac in Fan Francisco 5 out of 10

The_Hillsta

Neva missin a beat
Daps
Just finished watching, I felt like this was more of a collection of abstract art? Maybe? rather than a standard movie with 3 acts filled with conflict. This is not a comedy, action, or drama. So what is this really? I was expecting to come out of this movie with at least an understanding of the black experience and culture of San Francisco but I didn't learn shytt. This didnt show any black culture at all. No music, no presentation of how it was growing up black in SF, no women at all :hhh:, It just showed two dodo birds wondering around like those weird cacs you see in gentrified cities. I also felt uncomfortable with the N word being thrown out, it didnt feel right, the essence wasn't there.

What a disappointment. Wasted an opportunity to create a coming of age show case of the black experience and educate the movie audience on the reach of black culture, the positive and negative.

:laff:

Saw the trailer to this shyt and got the instant :patrice:

That's why I dont trust NOTHIN these muthafukkaz hype up in this section.

"Greatest movie I've ever seen...."

"Artistic masterpiece..."

"African american acting at its finest....."

"Cinematography and the best camera work I've ever seen on film..."

"The colors and cloud arrangements stood out the most..."

"The character development made me feel like I was at one with with the ambiance of the golden gate bridge..."

:comeon::camby:

Jblaze204

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Uptown NY

"The character development made me feel like I was at one with with the ambiance of the golden gate bridge..."

:mjlol:

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town

This movie was about gentrification and the lies we tell ourselves about home and family in the face of oppression, and what happens to folks when those lies are exposed. What's ironic is the way you guys are dissing this movie, talking about it being goofy and cacish, is the exact thing the movie is making commentary about in terms of what it means to be a black man and the boxes we put ourselves into about what's acceptable for black men to do. It's kinda sad.

Jblaze204

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Uptown NY
This movie was about gentrification and the lies we tell ourselves about home and family in the face of oppression, and what happens to folks when those lies are exposed. What's ironic is the way you guys are dissing this movie, talking about it being goofy and cacish, is the exact thing the movie is making commentary about in terms of what it means to be a black man and the boxes we put ourselves into about what's acceptable for black men to do. It's kinda sad.

I hear where your coming from but these two characters were corny and I disliked their actions in the "film". That's where it ends for me. My dislike of these characters and the "film" is just that. It does not apply to how I view the diversity of black people in real life. I think showing black people's diversity on screen wether it be nerds, professionals, hood, or just regular people is necessary and important but this "film" was very boring and empty throughout.

Mr Hate Coffee

Veteran
Daps
Movie was aight. Dragged for bits and was overly fake deep at times. I enjoyed the moments where Kofi’s homies showed vulnerability.

Like I said, shyt was cool. I can see why people wouldn’t like it. I don’t know if I understand why people would overly praise it tho

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I caught this after putting it off for a while. I had it in my Watchlist in Prime Video since I saw it on there a while ago.
:mjlol:

For some reason, I thought it wasn't even in present day until I actually read the summary description about it before watching it. It was... interesting. It was shot really well, which is as expected from A24. For a minute I thought the story was trying to setup some plot twist where one of the characters was made up in the other's head. The themes and issues with San Fran made me think that's where they were going with it, especially with the high level of homelessness and that tying to mental health. The other underlying theme here was of course gentrification.

It's one of those movies that I'd only really recommend to specific folks, it's storytelling style is def not for everybody

MischievousMonkey

Gor bu dëgër
Daps
Man, this movie was fire.

The cinematography was beautiful, the editing was beautiful, the soundtrack complemented everything well, and the main actors all did a fantastic job, especially the two protagonists. Jonathan Majors' character was touching.

Gripping story too without being too heavyhanded. All the characters were full humans.

I was immersed in the whole thing. Fire.

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
Really loved this movies version of San Francisco (flowers in your hair). Felt for Montgomery at end.

This song and Jonathan Majors were the best things about the film for me.

Didn't hate it but I really don't see all the extras people are putting on it in here.