The Last AirBender Had Potential To Be Better Than DBZ

onelastdeath

Banned
Daps
Before I get stoned and castrated, here me out :whoa:

The Last Airbender Is Not Better Than DBZ. DBZ still holds the GOAT anime title..

But the story/plot for TLA, was probably the most original since DBZ. It had a great story, great characters, but was far too short to really challenge DBZ for the title. There are DBZ sagas that are longer than the whole TLA series.

The elements of Eastern philosophy and spirituality in it really gave it a nice edge. The characters didn't feel overpowered, and there were some really creative messages about modern humanity in Avatar as well, that a lot of people probably didn't pay attention too. Like the fact that most of the protagonists had Dark or Olive skin, and the fact that the Water Benders were in "Tribes" and the Fire Benders were a "Nation". Similar to how Africa has Tribes, and America is a nation. The fire nation were oppressors and destroyers, while the Water Tribes were of peace and healing. The water tribes were "dark" people and the the fire nation was "white". All of the nations lived in peace and everything changed when the fire nation attacked. Which could be a metaphor for the world prior to American slavery. They trusted them, and they got backstabbed. It was nice to see that in a Cartoon for once. Acknowledging different cultures and traditions. I don't think that's a coincidence. And if the back story isn't enough to support that theory. Then this might be

js57cq4.png
world_map_940x627_light_blu_large.jpg

The Fire Nation is located right where America would be on a modernized World Map :ohhh:

It had elements of industrialization and religion. War between cultures. The show had everything.

I think dialogue in Avatar was a lot better too. Probably having to do with it being an American production, and there was no language barrier to break through because of dubbing.

DBZ's high's are all time high's in all of anime history. But some of the lows are :beli:. There are whole episodes of DBZ where nothing happens.

TLA was more concise, but just about every episode had something to do with the overall story and progression of characters.

TLA also gave everyone some shine. Where as with DBZ, most of time, it was Goku or doom. Outside of Teen Gohan's incredible moment :ohlawd:

You take a fight scene like Zuko vs Azula, and it ended in such an amazing way.

With Zuko showing his progression, and Azula showing her insanity. Directing the lightning to Katara. Then being tied up, and left screaming and crying from being overwhelmed

Even this fight with Aang vs Ozai

I think there's a different level of detail involved than with DBZ. DBZ was a lot of high speed fighting, and nice big blasts. But the fights in TLA seem well thought out, it all syncs beautifully.
Falling back onto the rocks and covering himself with the earth. The transitions between all 4 elements, and The Avatar state using all of them simutaneously.

Overall, DBZ has too many amazing moments for Avatar to really fukk with . But as concise as it is, The Last Airbender did a great job telling a great story, that feels good and new every time you watch it. Minimized the filler, and maximized the detail. Had it gone on longer without sacrificing the quality, I think it could have ended up being better than DBZ. Honestly. And I hold DBZ in a very high regard, as some of you have probably seen me post in DBZ thread's when they come up.

Just my opinion.

Last edited:

Arishok

No
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The 'Go
As much as I love DBZ (grew up on it and got hype when I heard the Battle of the Gods dvd was dropping. Hell I even have Dragon Balls) TLA has a MUCH better story than DBZ and much better character development, hell Naruto has a better story than DBZ. DBZ is goat because of the experience and humor but not the story.

hotbeezie

Go Dawgzz!!!!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Louisiana
I grew up on DBZ but even back then you had yu yu Hakusho and now It's hard for me to put anything above One Piece.

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Yeah...Avatar isn't even really an anime, it's an American cartoon that was influenced a lot by anime.

I can't even really compare it to DBZ, it's like Apples and Oranges.

For one, it's unfair to compare the dialogue when one was written in English from the start and another had to be translated (and has certain things that don't translate all that well). There's also the fact that Avatar had a much higher animation budget than DBZ. And the fact that DBZ had to stall and have filler because it had to wait for the manga to catch up, whereas Avatar didn't have to worry about that. Also, the Avatar story was planned all the way through from the start, whereas Toriyama made up the DBZ story as he went along (not bashing either, he's admitted that he never planned anything).

They're too different to really compare head to head IMO.

Airtrack360

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
If you call TLA an anime than you would have to call The Boondocks an anime too...

onelastdeath

Banned
Daps
The main question here is...do we even consider TLA an anime?

Cause I personally don't.

I know by definition TLA isn't an anime, but the style is inspired by Anime. And fuses the styles of anime and American cartoons.

Airtrack360

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Plus DBZ is known for its cultural impact and legacy. You shouldn't judge it just on its story or animation. It fit a special formula that made it into a WORLD WIDE HIT for DECADES.

TLA is still in its baby stages compared to DBZ but to even consider TLA standing on the same pedestal as DBZ is insulting.

onelastdeath

Banned
Daps
Plus DBZ is known for its cultural impact and legacy. You shouldn't judge it just on its story or animation. It fit a special formula that made it into a WORLD WIDE HIT for DECADES.

TLA is still in its baby stages compared to DBZ but to even consider TLA standing on the same pedestal as DBZ is insulting.
I never do that. I hate when something is automatically better because its older. People do that with everything.