The job search, interview and negotiation thread

SadimirPutin

Superstar
Daps
So based on some of the responses I see in threads brehs are in a variety of situations which they wish to address.

For some its not getting responses to their resumes...not getting favoring results from interviews..or not having sufficient confidence in their negotiating skills leading to insufficient compensation and benefits

Lets use this thread as an ongoing resource for strategies, support, discussion and feedback.

Now you may not agree with everything that pops up in this thread but lets try to keep it civil and outline where you disagree with a particular tactic or strategy.

The idea is to take relevant pieces and apply it to your situation.

Lets start with this video

SadimirPutin

Superstar
Daps
Is Glassdoor a good source to vet salary for a position? What are other sources to prepare for negotiation?

I would suggest using a cumulative approach by consulting multiple sites

Look for what national averages are. Also consider the particular state/city you live in.

Scholar

Superstar
Daps
I've been doing a job search for the past 6-8 months, not a single call back. I'm stuck at a dead end job with an a$$hole boss, this shyt is killing me. I'm starting to get depressed wtf.
I hate hearing this but its true, try networking. You might not be getting calls back because your resume isn't flawless or because you don't have people on the inside pushing your resume through.

SadimirPutin

Superstar
Daps
I've been doing a job search for the past 6-8 months, not a single call back. I'm stuck at a dead end job with an a$$hole boss, this shyt is killing me. I'm starting to get depressed wtf.

Post your resume...........personal info, company name redacted and let us critique and help you breh

This is the thread for us to help one another

Maude

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Midwest
Post your resume...........personal info, company name redacted and let us critique and help you breh

This is the thread for us to help one another

Im in the same boat couldnt stand my boss, we had a lot of black upper management when i was hired but they got replaced/fired over time and place got real uncomfortable to work , left in december, need to find a new gig before i blow through my savings or end up like Lawrence. Here is my resume took a screenshot
Capture.png

Jparker

Innocence lost in the EAST
Daps
Reppin
Durham,NC

I like indeed they have a lot of jobs on there mostly bullshyt jobs but I like to shoot my shot on there. I get a call back at least once a week but nothing worth leaving where im at now.

What's your field breh

SadimirPutin

Superstar
Daps
Im in the same boat couldnt stand my boss, we had a lot of black upper management when i was hired but they got replaced/fired over time and place got real uncomfortable to work , left in december, need to find a new gig before i blow through my savings or end up like Lawrence. Here is my resume took a screenshot
Capture.png

okay....this is the first thing you need to do

1)Tell us where you have been looking for vacancies? be very specific....

2) For each line in your resume.....I want you tor write out a specific detail. So for instance planned and designed standalone web application, give us a a background on what the application does....

3)Select 2 jobs that you see online anywhere.....And we can work on showing you how to tailor your resume to meet a specific job vacancy...No more boilerplate generic apps..Writing your resume is writing for an audience

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang

2) For each line in your resume.....I want you tor write out a specific detail. So for instance planned and designed standalone web application, give us a a background on what the application does....

3)Select 2 jobs that you see online anywhere.....And we can work on showing you how to tailor your resume to meet a specific job vacancy...No more boilerplate generic apps..Writing your resume is writing for an audience

Especially two.
I would also suggest highlighting some accomplishments at the top of your Resume. Your resume is not that long so people would need to see some major projects you've completed with some metrics.

I would order my work experience starting with my current work first.

Add the university under education. It's a matter of preference but I tend to have my education after my qualifications and work experience.

Maude

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Midwest

1) I've never has success with online job hunting, been to career fairs or knew someone. I been looking in my local newspaper, indeed and where my friends work.
Waiting on some career fairs in the city.

3a)Workday

3b)Java Developer - Alpharetta, Georgia - Verizon Careers

Maude

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Midwest

Especially two.
I would also suggest highlighting some accomplishments at the top of your Resume. Your resume is not that long so people would need to see some major projects you've completed with some metrics.

I would order my work experience starting with my current work first.

Add the university under education. It's a matter of preference but I tend to have my education after my qualifications and work experience.
always kept my resume one page:yeshrug:

Planned and redesigned existing standalone web application

this was during planning stages my team and I had to redesign an
website for a client, just wanted it to look modern and a mobile
site to go with it.

• Conducted system tests weekly and daily code reviews.
my team did code reviews every morning and mondays we did a system test where
we tested the front and the backend or did integration testing

• Formulated and implemented plans for development of large scale web applications

a dept at my job needed a web applicaton to automate a task they had been doing manually
through excel. It was an account manager. the app takes a file of accounts from the gov and loads uploads them
to the database. from there using the gui, the casworker could close,audit,edit,...accounts I had a small team of 4. I helped to implement the database as well as the user interface.

• Provided technical expertise to business and analytical staff

the department the application was written for asked for us for time/cost measurements
and we got to pick the best technology to create the app and make it maintainable. when
the app deployed to the dept, i wrote the tutorial and my team instructed the staff on
how to use the new application.