The Internet Is The Reason Video Games Suck

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The only things hurting videogames are microtransactions and stuff being cut out to be sold as DLC, aka corporate greed.

The only way "internet" has hurt videogames is making lazy publishers release unfinished games to have them patched later.

I'd like to add social media hype also. There was a time when you either had little to no warning that a game was coming out or if you did at most you had a couple splash pages and if you're lucky a video clip.

But for the most part there was the rumor section in a mag and then maybe every two months or so you'd get a quarter of a page about a game. And if it was something huge like Zelda, maybe 3-4 pages of blown up screen shots.

Now you get information monthly if not weekly, drip feed video info and leaks and constant updates up until release and the a reveiw before the official drops usually.

Along with that there are a bunch of other people to push or sway a narrative.

Remember when 7 was a solid score? Now a 7 might as well be a 5. A 7 gets crucified by social media.

Also everything getting patched and updates...while it makes for a "better" overall game it really kills any attachment or growth of a game long term.

I can pick up a fighting game pre patch era and know everything I remember works the same and enjoy it. Same with shooters.

But any game or shooter I played 2 years ago if I picked it up now after not playing for a year...it would be almost completely changed.

And that makes all these "great" games feel like flashs in the pan" between microtransactions updates, patches and dlc...

There is nothing consistent about the game until years later when updates are done.

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
ironically the game industry blowing up ruined gaming. there's not incentive for creativity and fun titles anymore just big sales and micro transactions. Games are optimized to run those pockets not for fun.

As a semi casual gamer I can tap in and out of the culture without much "affection" for gaming anymore. It's not bringing the wow factor on the creative side. I get more amused and amazed by the lengths that companies have gone to monetize their titles. From DLC to in-game purchases.
All that shyt is off putting for a casual. I'll never get jiggy with in game purchases or pay to advance play games, shyt feels like a trap for a sucka :skip:

I remember playing gta v and hearing cacs talking bout dropping hundreds on shark cards while they gotta work extra shifts in the kitchen... I'm like "this can't be life" :skip:

litty

Pro
Daps
Publishers have been stripping down the story of games to find more locations to place mtx.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
The only things hurting videogames are microtransactions and stuff being cut out to be sold as DLC, aka corporate greed.

The only way "internet" has hurt videogames is making lazy publishers release unfinished games to have them patched later.
DLC is the worst thing to happen to gaming.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Dlc killed getting complete and stuffed games.

Getting a game were everything was in it after you bought it and you weren't getting anything after is gone.

Dlc really is a driving force behind microtransactions on larger games also. If you're gonna be adding dlc stuff later might as well throw in some mtx for extra $$$

And why put out a complete 60 game when we can put out a "finish" product and then essentially crowd fun the "toppings" take home the over head.

It's almost pointless to not use dlc now, you'd be selling you self short.

But man does it suck and the bigger games are paying for it.

Lord Beasley

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
469 x 972 x 702
I'd say social media is killin games, its the biggest influencer.....think about it:

you got ppl on twitch/Twitter/ you name it bragging about the wads of cash they dropped for in-game items, special editions, etc.

the kids see this and go crazy, it leads to them spending wads to support streamers and to buy crap.

then the streamers get broke off for promotion, so they arent even paying their own money. they get paid, the companies get paid, consumers lose.

then on to season 2 :francis:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Let's take it a step further. The internet is ruining humanity.

fukking Bird Box challenge. shyt is almost as dumb as people eating Tide Pods.

the_FUTURE

Superstar
Daps
Gaming is gonna crash soon though , you can’t deny that , dunno why people don’t talk about it more

i think the only thing trying to happen is the digital realm. it's gonna take a bit, but it might happen. Physical sales are down only 3 percent in 2018 from what I heard. will see what Sony and MS do in that digital market next gen.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Gaming is here to stay, it's the only media or sports entertainment where the player base literally gives money out of there pocket to support.

Not through just buying but actual crowd funding. Gamers are loyal to who and what they like.

And people spend time and money to make games they want out of love....

Gaming ain't going anywhere if anything we might see a regression back to more smaller titles, that are allowed to grow in bigger brands. Instead of media and publisher going " it's the next!" (Insert title here)