The illest Canibus verses of the 90's - Appreciation Thread

Raw Lyrics

Sunset Park
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
fukk it, I don't give a shyt that he recently embarrassed himself - for the both of you that haven't seen it yet

At the end of the day the man made his mark in Hip-Hop, how many aspiring artist actually get an album pressed, much less sold in stores? He went Gold on his first album and a little under 200,000 on his second release, and while that was considered a commercial failure for it's time, his first album wasn't all that bad and he made a real strong showing on his second album which, in my opinion, had a lot of good cuts on it.

Not to mention the countless guest appearances where he absolutely bodied. When it's all said and done, every Emcee who aspires to get a major deal just wants his voice to be heard. Bis' voice was potent enough to get his albums purchased 750,000 times. Bis also brought us one of the greatest Hip-Hop battles of all time (Thanks to LL), fukk it if he came up on the short end of the stick, the man experienced going toe to toe with one of the GOATs in Hip-Hop.

Like with any craft, Rapping requires you to practice (a lot!), in order to stay in shape, Canibus' choking was probably due to being out of shape, out of his prime, and hard-pressed for dough, more than anything else. Regardless, when Bis is old and gray (assuming he's sane and coherent, which is hoping for a lot) he'll be able to tell his grandkids he did songs with legendary artist such as Nas, Pun, DMX, Cam, LL, and Redman, to go along with his nice little stretch in Hip-Hop. How many of us are going to be able to say the same thing, within our respective fields? Assuming we all work at our dream jobs...

Anyway, before I take off my cape, allow me to link some songs in appreciation of Canibus' illest raps!

DJ Clue Freestyle 97 ''I Speak At Frequencies''
:scusthov:

Canibus - Beast from the East
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MT0SHEIOyCk"]Lost Boyz - Beasts From The East (feat. A+, Redman & Canibus) - YouTube[/ame]

The Firm- Desparados (Feat. Canibus) Nas took out his verse - presumably after hearing Bis'

Fantastic four - Camron, Big Pun, Nore, Canibus
:krs:

4,3,2,1, LL cool J 1997 (L got Bis on this one)
:shaq:

Canibus Freestyle [FMF]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIPk4zupTbU]Canibus Freestyle [FMF] - YouTube[/ame]

HRSMN - Future Flavas Freestyle Canibus at his peak...a mixture of written interspersed with a little bit of freestyling...he blacks out, to the point where the studio DJ's gotta beg him to stop. This verse is ironic in more ways than one.
:dwillhuh:

Canibus - Buckingham Palace

Canibus - How Come (Music Video)

Last edited by a moderator:
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Word, Bis was killing anything he touched at that time...he had so much hype surrounding him. I think the Source even called him the next evolution of Rakim and Nas. Then he got with Wyclef and fukked up his own album

Raw Lyrics

Sunset Park
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
wyclef produced or had input on the best songs of his whole catalogue

Bis not having a classic album is Bis' own fault, he can't pass the buck on that.

But the measuring stick on whether or not an artist is successful shouldn't be based on having a classic. Too high of a standard. He had a really good 2 year + stretch of quality material...he just didn't meet expectations when people realized he was one dimensional.

Pop123

Peace
Daps
Reppin
NULL
"Whenever the head is severed
from the human body with a sharp enough weapon
the brain remains conscious for 10 seconds /
long enough for me to give you one last message /
and when you get to Hell you can tell Lucifer I said it"

:merchant::gladbron::ooh:

them 2 bars made me want to write rhymes

Prez

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
As soon as I saw this thread I thought of " Canibus is the lyrical version of German engineering" Props on that being the first vid haha. Canibus Vs. DMX mixtape is still my favorite mixtape of all time. You couldn't go anywhere without someone quoting something off that tape that summer.

Raw Lyrics

Sunset Park
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
As soon as I saw this thread I thought of " Canibus is the lyrical version of German engineering" Props on that being the first vid haha. Canibus Vs. DMX mixtape is still my favorite mixtape of all time. You couldn't go anywhere without someone quoting something off that tape that summer.

I went a whole summer listening to that Bis vs DMX mixtape. It was a good era to be a lyrical Emcee....unlike now.