The FTC says Nintendo don't count

TheAnointedOne

Superstar
Daps
Hooray! I've been having nightmares for years about this. I'm glad someone I don't know decided this random video game tidbit that really means nothing to me for me. It's a weight off, that's for sure. Now to play games on my "it's not a console" game system! I'm so happy!

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
it's kind of a weird distinction. when BOTW 2 comes out, and at the end of the year people are discussing GOTY, does Nintendo not count?

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Nintendo fans: “Nintendo are in their own lane, they don’t even have to compete with microsoft and sony, they own their own market”

FTC: “nintendo actually isn’t in competition with microsoft and sony, they have created their own niche market with first party software and unique hardware”

Nintendo fans: “so now nintendo isn’t good enough to compete with sony and microsoft?!”

Ezekiel 25:17

Veteran
Daps
I think we have to ask ourselves, does Nintendo pose a threat to the market? What developers are they creating? What developers are they buying? Do they have the product to take away a big consumer base from Sony and Microsoft?

Answer those questions and that'll give you the reason why they don't count.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Man people bias,

In one breath they are worried Microsoft potentially in the future dominating by buying up companies and increasing prices.
On the other hand Sony is buying companies and exclusive deals and raising up prices with no problem while being the market share leader as well as being a company that dabbles in all kind of things.

And then there is nintendo who is doing what they have been doing for years that literally only makes games and gaming consoles that go back and forth with Playstation when it comes to Marketcap but they are not a threat. As if they couldn't release a Next gen system next year that rivals the power of Series and PS5.

I guess if that happens all of a sudden they are in the console market and competition again. Because you can bet, the dev's and companies that would all of a sudden have "nintendo exclusive timed deals" would sky rocket. Not only that, that 10 year deal all of a sudden matters ALOT.
This is like saying Kia isn't an automobile maker because it doesn't have a current super high end premium vehicle :mjlol:

Just dumb.

Last edited:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Nintendo is not a competitor to Sony or Microsoft and hasn't been so in years. Almost nobody walks into a store and makes an either or decision to buy a Nintendo console vs a Sony / Microsoft console.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Nintendo is not a competitor to Sony or Microsoft and hasn't been so in years. Almost nobody walks into a store and makes an either or decision to buy a Nintendo console vs a Sony / Microsoft console.

:mjtf:

This happened and still happens all the time.

I remember when I did part time work at GameStop people would come in and get the Wii over everything.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
:mjtf:

This happened and still happens all the time.

I remember when I did part time work at GameStop people would come in and get the Wii over everything.
So you saying the type of gamer that wants to play stuff like Grand Theft Auto, Madden, Fifa, Battlefield, Call of Duty is seriously looking at a Switch and a PS5 and weighing which one they want and will only buy one? The primary driver of a Nintendo console purchase is Nintendo content almost exclusively.

The buyer of a PlayStation or Xbox wants those high profile 3rd party games. The determining factor of which they get is the exclusive content or either of those platforms that calls to them more.

Sony vs Microsoft is mostly a zero sum game. People have no issue owning both a PlayStation and a Switch. Most people (outside of enthusiast) will say owning both an Xbox and a PlayStation is not worth it to them.