"The Flash" Season 1 discussion thread

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
"
The Flash: Will Iris Figure Out Barry's Secret?

The Flash star Candice Patton on Iris' investigations into "the Streak", the danger she's in and more.

11 NOV 2014 BY ERIC GOLDMAN

Like many a superhero before him, Barry Allen is trying to keep his identity secret on The Flash, including from Iris West (Candice Patton), his lifelong best friend – and someone he has romantic feelings for that Iris is quite oblivious to.

On the set of The Flash, Patton spoke to a group of visiting journalists (myself included) about Iris’ current relationship with Eddie, her dynamic with Barry and the danger she’s putting herself in by investigating “the Streak.” Plus, Patton talks about the upcoming crossover between The Flash and Arrow and more.

FLA01_KH_IRIS_1903r.jpg

Candice Patton as Iris West in The Flash.

Question: Should we find it odd how hung up Barry is on a girl who he basically grew up with her as a sister?

Candice Patton: I don’t think you should find it odd. Love is complicated. Listen, at the end of the day, they’re not brother and sister so it’s not weird. It’s not technically weird. [Laughs]

Question: Do you think Joe would rather have your character end up with your not quite brother or his partner?

Patton: I don’t know... That’s a question for Jesse [L. Martin]. I think Joe loves both Barry and Iris. I can’t answer that question because it’s weird for me to be like, “Yeah, my dad would love for me to date my pseudo brother. It just makes total sense!” [Laughs] I don’t know, but I think the way Grant and I play it, it’s more just long time best friends. Yes, we happened to grown up in the same house together and yes, it is kind of brother and sister but at the end of the day we’re not related and we are best, best friends. That’s how I view it and that’s how it makes sense and is not so gross to me, so we’ll go with that.

Question: Your character is very actively looking into the Streak. Clearly Barry doesn’t want you to find out his identity. At the same time, is Iris putting herself in danger the more she’s investigating these things?

Patton: Iris likes danger, apparently. I think just in proximity of her dad being a detective and Barry also being the Flash, she’s constantly going to be somewhat in danger. And the fact that Iris is innately curious and inquisitive... She’s always going after the story or what’s exciting, so yeah, she’ll be in a lot of dangerous situations.

FLA101b_0360r-720x405.jpg

Grant Gustin as Barry Allen and Candice Patton as Iris West in The Flash.

Question: How close or not close is she to finding out who Barry is? Does she ever have those moments of, “Hmmmm…?”

Patton: I think we’re playing… I mean you can see it in episode two, Iris is just kind of curious as to why Barry is acting different. I don’t know that she’s put two and two together yet, but I think she knows that something different is going on with Barry and Barry is constantly trying to come up with excuses for why he’s acting different and why he’s gone all the time. I’m assuming she’ll find out at some point. When that will happen, I don’t know.

Question: Right now Barry and Joe are working on clearing Barry’s father’s name. Is Iris aware of what’s going on? Does she have any concerns about them diving into that whole thing and what that might do to them?

Patton: She’s not aware actually of them doing that, but I don’t know that she would have concerns. I think that Iris has always believed Barry and she’s always believed that his father was innocent and more than anything Iris wants Barry to kind of move forward so I think she would be thrilled for him to figure that out.

FLA105b_0696b2-720x405.jpg

Rick Cosnett as Detective Eddie Thawne and Candice Patton as Iris West in The Flash.

Question: Can you talk about the crossover with Flash and Arrow and her involvement?

Patton: She’s not super involved in any of the major action. You guys know it’s Felicity and Oliver who come to Central City, and Diggle. A few of them stop into Jitters and there’s some fun interaction that happens especially between Felicity and Iris and Iris and Oliver. It was really fun to work with Stephen and see the dynamic between Iris and Oliver.

Question: What do they make of each other?

Patton: Iris makes very well of him. Iris likes Oliver. It’s fun. I don’t even want to give it away because it’s so fun.

Question: Danielle told us there’s an episode where everyone goes out for drinks. What’s that like, since Iris has only had minimal interaction with the Star Labs crew?

Patton: Iris comments to Barry, “It’s nice to meet your friends.” Because really, for most of Barry’s life, it’s been Iris. Barry’s a little socially awkward so it’s nice for her to see that he’s made friends outside of Iris. It’s fun. We all get to hang out, play some darts.

Question: How are Barry and Eddie getting along in the midst of this? Obviously Iris doesn’t know what Barry really feels so as far as she’s concerned, is it like, “My best friend and my other friend are cool?”

Patton: I think she hopes that it will be like that but it’s definitely very difficult for Barry and I don’t think she’s aware that it’s difficult for him. He does a very good job of trying to keep that from Iris. Barry and Eddie just have an awkward relationship, and the thing is, Eddie is a nice guy. That makes it really hard for Barry to hate him because at the end of the day, Barry wants Iris to be happy and she is. She just is happy with Eddie.

Question: Are we going to see Eddie maybe possibly see that Barry does have feelings for Iris?

Patton: Yeah, Eddie starts to get the impression that there’s more than meets the eye, at least with Barry. And he will confront Iris about that.

Question: What was your reaction seeing how strongly the show premiered and how its been received?

Patton: It was amazing, because we’re here in Vancouver and we’ve been with this show for months now since we shot the pilot. So we’ve been making it and we’re just hoping it’s great and we had no idea how people would respond to it. I guess it got leaked, and people at Comic-Con responded really well, but you know, numbers matter and so it was great to see how many people tuned in. I think we all feel really lucky.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/11...ch-iris-investigations-will-put-her-in-danger
"

@Emperor_ReinScarf