The Etchics of Scalping

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I think nvidia could’ve done something to help minimize the scalping situation. The fact that they stopped selling the GPUs on their own website is stupid.

The video cards aren’t worth what the scalpers are charging, so I can just wait.

The next gen consoles always sell out at launch. Wasn’t the Wii hard to find for like 6 months after it came out?

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Difference between a console and a necessity like Lysol during a pandemic is obviously that a console is a luxury, and Lysol is a necessity.

When people push up prices on those type of items, ethics need to be put on the table.

The laws of a marketplace are what they are: demand goes up, pricing goes up. No doubt about that. I do think that for both the original supplier or the scalper to do that with products during a pandemic where it could mean healthy vs ill - I do not believe that is ethically acceptable.
Then all Lysol sells out at the standard retail price and it is completely unavailable until supply catches up. That’s worse than it being available at higher prices because at least it’s available.

Typical Knicks Fan

F-ing Knicks.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
New York
Basic supply and demand. You can wait for the supply to outweigh the demand. Which is usually by the spring where you can walk into a store and find one.

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
When Christmas comes around and there's not one PS5 in town and your only choice is a fukking clown you will respect the scalper. You will thank him for making your dreams come true. and if you show up at the drop spot trying to berate with comments asking if cats is proud of themself? you aren't getting shyt. keep your money because you clearly broke the next seller in line wanted to pay More Anyway

Last edited:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
the resellers don't increase the supply :gucci:
Think about it. If there's a rush on Lysol and it all sells out and everybody that bought it kept it for themselves then Lysol would be unavailable until the supply rectified that. If scalpers sell it then even if it's in a shortage it can still be purchased if you're willing to pay what the market says is acceptable.

Scalpers correct an imbalance in the market. They make sure goods are still available to the people willing to pay what the market deems fair value for a good that's in a shortage.

What you're suggesting is absurd. That something in short supply deliberately priced too low given the supply shouldn't have the market correct that situation. That stuff should sell out and be completely unavailable to everyone. Basically that supply and demand shouldn't have any effect on the value of something.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
how do yall feel about people doing this with products people really need? there's been a lot of that going on during the pandemic. muthafukkas selling cans of Lysol for $100 and shyt
It’s fukkin wrong period. Alotta kids Christmas gonna be fukked up this year imma say that much. It’s one thing to have to compete with humans. But the bot shyt ain’t even fair. shyt is gone before nikkas have a chance to cop.

Edit: and for the people saying “hey I sold some shyt for higher price than I bought it. “ That’s a little different than someone getting bots to literally grab up 100s of an item JUST to resell. Which basically pushes the release date of the item back because there no way for the average person to get the item at retail because it’s sold out.

Last edited:

humminbird

Veteran
Daps
Think about it. If there's a rush on Lysol and it all sells out and everybody that bought it kept it for themselves then Lysol would be unavailable until the supply rectified that. If scalpers sell it then even if it's in a shortage it can still be purchased if you're willing to pay what the market says is acceptable.

Scalpers correct an imbalance in the market. They make sure goods are still available to the people willing to pay what the market deems fair value for a good that's in a shortage.

What you're suggesting is absurd. That something in short supply deliberately priced too low given the supply shouldn't have the market correct that situation. That stuff should sell out and be completely unavailable to everyone. Basically that supply and demand shouldn't have any effect on the value of something.
I see what you’re saying but in that case they were buying hordes of Lysol and hand sanitizer creating the demand

iceberg_is_on_fire

Honolulu Blue Ski Mask Way
Daps
Reppin
Lombardi Trophies in Allen Park
Scalpers suck, I liked the way Sony did the ps5 invite email.!I was able to get my order in no problem.

Sony can suck my dikk. For something that they have control over, people that have invested time and money into their ecosystem should have gotten first crack. I got PS3/PS4/Vita, all day one, I own PSVR and over 70 games on PS4 and they know who I am since I haven't changed my email/password since I first signed up in 2006. I had to go through Amazon.

As far as this topic. I see the pros/cons, I just don't care enough to do it myself.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps

you simply put a limit on purchases at the retail level. if people can only buy 1-2 then more people will be able to get their hands on the product. scalpers increase the shortage when they come through and buy everything

I guess I should point out the price gouging is illegal for retail, and that's pretty much exactly what scalpers do

we all understand the reasons how and why this shyt happens, but the question in the OP was about if it's ethical